A player punched his/her monitor after being constantly harassed by submarines in the game

New_Jersey_prpr

c5854089e60c581ac7c67b452e4d1a7c86471108.jpg
IS08APRLWZUPQ7WQQ83XWHG.thumb.png.1b041c36637d63723abf932ef3343a6f.png

This player got constantly harassed by submarines when playing World Of Warships and smashed monitor due to anger
Edited by New_Jersey_prpr
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

I can say with complete confidence that this player's problem doesn't have anything to do with Subs in WOWS.  They need help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Bored 2

26 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

I can say with complete confidence that this player's problem doesn't have anything to do with Subs in WOWS.  They need help.

Indeed.

It seems this kind of game isnt for them.

The difficulty is this is exactly the kind of player that is profitable to WG.

This is the dark side of the business model that WG runs...it commonly preys on the destructive habits of its customers to drive profit for the gaming company, while not caring or taking responsibility for the damage done to the consumer.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Bored 4

15 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

while not caring or taking responsibility for the damage done to the consumer.

No. Sorry. If their temper is so volatile that their response to video game frustrations is to PUNCH THE EQUIPMENT, that's not on Wargaming. That's an individual person problem. That guy has rage issues and needs professional help before they hurt someone, assuming they haven't already. 

• Thanks 1
  • Bored 4

19 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

This is the dark side of the business model that WG runs...it commonly preys on the destructive habits of its customers to drive profit for the gaming company, while not caring or taking responsibility for the damage done to the consumer.

As far as I know, every company in this world operates in the same manner and has no sense of responsibility towards harm to their customers as long as it fulfills their mandate to generate profits for their shareholders.  The burden of use lies with the person using their product, as corporate culture has revolved around for centuries.

8 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

PUNCH THE EQUIPMENT

I couldn't easily punch my monitor. Like the limited range of my Massachusetts' ASW air strikes, my arms won't reach it from where I'm sitting at my computer desk, and I'm too lazy to get up and be angry at it.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

So when a DD spams you from the smoke its not anger.

When a DD spams 30 torps at you its not anger.

When a cruiser radars you for 50 sec its not anger.

When a cruiser spams HE at you its not anger.

When a BB tanks 4 million hp its not anger.

When a BB dev strikes you its not anger.

When CV spots you forever its not anger.

When a CV focus you entire game its not anger.

BUT 

When sub "harras" you then its ultimate rage.

Jesus when I play the game subs are the last problem in the game.

• Like 4
  • Bored 3

1 hour ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

This player got constantly harassed by submarines when playing World Of Warships and smashed monitor due to anger

Like if it was the only reason players punch monitors... 

Newer generations should be introduced to some Pinball 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That made my morning! Nothing feels better than making some oblivious player so mad that they message you in port spewing hate!  

• Bored 2

5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Newer generations should be introduced to some Pinball 🤣

Speaking of which, I always liked this song as the ultimate expression of fair play.

The character singing the song has just been dethroned as pinball champion, but his final reaction is one of admiration and respect for his successor's superior skill. He can't even bring himself to get upset about it.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Unfortunately it's dark side of almost all successful business models for all companies . From the food industry to health care to insurance and everything in between. it's kind of on you to sift your way through there BS and find the deals other wise they will screw you if they can.

I have found it best to let revenge take its course. Hot heads will sooner or later suffer the consequences of their own actions. Everyone who has ever truly angered me in life is either now dead or in prison.

• Bored 2

4 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

A guy I went to high school with was so into pinball that we gave him the name "Wizard" when that song came out. Even the teachers started calling him Wizard. Fifty-five years later, that's what people still call him, though now hardly anyone knows why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jakob Knight said:

They need help.

They need a new monitor 🤣

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

C'mon dude, the line between healthy challenge and frustration lies on the user... some folks carry a heavier baggage, it's their reponsibility to learn how to deal with it. The rest of the world can't spin on the particularities of individuals. If you get injured while using a faulty product, yes the producer is responsible for that... but if you punch your monitor because you have the impulse control of a 3yo kid, that's on you dude. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Why you heff to be mad? (Original)

"It's only game. Why you have to be mad?"

"I crashed my car into a bridge ...."
"I don't care!  I love it!"

Icona Pop - I Love It (feat. Charli XCX) [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

• Like 3

Shouldn't they punch someone in WG management instead of the monitor?

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I have found it best to let revenge take its course. Hot heads will sooner or later suffer the consequences of their own actions. Everyone who has ever truly angered me in life is either now dead or in prison.

Heh.  😉 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

No. Sorry. If their temper is so volatile that their response to video game frustrations is to PUNCH THE EQUIPMENT, that's not on Wargaming. That's an individual person problem. That guy has rage issues and needs professional help before they hurt someone, assuming they haven't already. 

When the company expressly sets up the design of events and RNG to elicit a frustration response...we cannot just then claim that the customers frustration is solely their own fault.

54 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

As far as I know, every company in this world operates in the same manner and has no sense of responsibility towards harm to their customers as long as it fulfills their mandate to generate profits for their shareholders.  The burden of use lies with the person using their product, as corporate culture has revolved around for centuries.

This is explicitly not true. Organizations can be found liable for their own actions if they caused harm to others.

The idea that the corporation bears no liability is a falsehood peddled by many Russian businesses. It is not true.

You need to stop listening to Discord on this.

36 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

That made my morning! Nothing feels better than making some oblivious player so mad that they message you in port spewing hate!  

The spread of destruction makes you happy?

That's not very healthy.

29 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Unfortunately it's dark side of almost all successful business models for all companies . From the food industry to health care to insurance and everything in between. it's kind of on you to sift your way through there BS and find the deals other wise they will screw you if they can.

This is why there is political push for regulations.

This is why the gaming industry is driving full speed into a battle with governments and health agencies.

10 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

They need a new monitor 🤣

C'mon dude, the line between healthy challenge and frustration lies on the user... some folks carry a heavier baggage, it's their reponsibility to learn how to deal with it. The rest of the world can't spin on the particularities of individuals. If you get injured while using a faulty product, yes the producer is responsible for that... but if you punch your monitor because you have the impulse control of a 3yo kid, that's on you dude. 

Since WG expressly attempts to raise frustration levels as part of their grind design and monetization strategy...they bear responsibility as well for the destruction that came out of creating that frustration.

WG is not an innocent party to this...but are PROFITING off of destroying that customer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mashed68 said:

Shouldn't they punch someone in WG management instead of the monitor?

The consequences for physically harming another human are likely to be greater than the consequence for punching one's own computer monitor.
So, to answer your question, "No".

For some people, the following movie quote applies to more than just one aspect of their life.

Sometimes, The only winning move is not to play.

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

The spread of destruction makes you happy?

That's not very healthy.

That’s not destruction, that’s some person who has a future as a domestic abuser. If frustration over a game does this to a person, that person is going to have a very hard time in the real world. 

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

When the company expressly sets up the design of events and RNG to elicit a frustration response...we cannot just then claim that the customers frustration is solely their own fault.

First: your attribution of motive verges on libel. I would be careful how far I pushed my attribution of malicious motives if I were you. I say this for YOUR protection because people have sued for less. 

Second: when the customer's expression of frustration extends to physical violence, that's on THEM. He had the choice to log off, walk away, go play lower tiers, scream or whatever, but he chose this instead. This guy comes across as the sort of person who'd throw his phone against a wall if he failed to catch a Pokemon or bombed out in Candy Crush. WOWS itself isn't the problem here; his reaction to his frustration was both inappropriate and disproportionate, and any attempt to excuse it or weaponize it against subs, carriers, WG in general or anything else is IMHO terribly misguided and only leads to more of the same. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 3
  • Bored 3

35 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You are mixing frustration with how one react to frustration.

Whatever the cause of frustration, it is up to the individual how to react to the impulse...

According to your logic... 

I'm not guilty if I hurt my girlfriend because she cheated on me... the guilt is on my GF for being a cheater.

I'm not guilty if I shot a guy that was mocking me... the guilt is on the guy for being a douche.

I'm not guilty if I ride my car over a guy expressing different opinions than my own... the guilt is on the guy for thinking "wrong"

• Thanks 3
  • Bored 1

41 minutes ago, Type_93 said:

That’s not destruction, that’s some person who has a future as a domestic abuser. If frustration over a game does this to a person, that person is going to have a very hard time in the real world. 

For sure.

My hope is that we don't just stand idly by watching someone get their buttons pushed to drive them towards that internal destructive tendency just so WG can make 5% more profit.

40 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

First: your attribution of motive verges on libel. I would be careful how far I pushed my attribution of malicious motives if I were you. I say this for YOUR protection because people have sued for less. 

Second: when the customer's expression of frustration extends to physical violence, that's on THEM. He had the choice to log off, walk away, go play lower tiers, scream or whatever, but he chose this instead. This guy comes across as the sort of person who'd throw his phone against a wall if he failed to catch a Pokemon or bombed out in Candy Crush. WOWS itself isn't the problem here; his reaction to his frustration was both inappropriate and disproportionate, and any attempt to excuse it or weaponize it against subs, carriers, WG in general or anything else is IMHO terribly misguided and only leads to more of the same. 

If WG wants to go to court on something like this, I'm sure my lawyers and I will have a good time with the discovery process around exactly how the MM and RNG works in the game.

Fully agree that the person being frustrated is responsible for the violence of their response. I am also reminding folks that WG has some liability for it as well...not full liability, but some.

9 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

You are mixing frustration with how one react to frustration.

Whatever the cause of frustration, it is up to the individual how to react to the impulse...

According to your logic... 

I'm not guilty if I hurt my girlfriend because she cheated on me... the guilt is on my GF for being a cheater.

I'm not guilty if I shot a guy that was mocking me... the guilt is on the guy for being a douche.

I'm not guilty if I ride my car over a guy expressing different opinions than my own... the guilt is on the guy for thinking "wrong"

If a company pays a train driver a bonus for being on time, and docks his pay for being late...and encourages the engineer to break speed maximums to make up time...

...they bear some responsibility for the effects of a derailment, even if the engineer breaks some of the expressly written rules.

WG's event design is pretty clearly built to increase frustration levels in order to incentivize purchases of things to speed or ease the grind. This fact should not be ignored when discussing the violent outcomes of frustration.

After all, if the user had not been playing World of Warships...the monitor may not have been destroyed at all.

Do not fall for the idea that a corporation is never liable for their own actions. It's just rich people trying to gaslight you into accepting their exploitation of you or your friends.