I Don't Know How Much More Of This Game I Can Take

tm63au

Its 8.39 pm where I am and I'm almost had it with this game, not because I'm losing but because its so repetitive its boring me to death.

I started playing this game in Dec 2015 and for the first 4 or 5 years its been fun, sure I've raved and ranted about this and that but I always faithfully jump on the game everyday, i have Tuesday and Thursday and there my big whole day sessions, get my stuff done early then sit back drink and really play the game. I don't feel drinking anymore tonight, there is nothing on TV to watch, and these bloody tasks missions and event are driving me round the bend, its the same crap over and over and over.

I sat in front of the computer for the past half hour and have been looking at an Italian DD in my port because I need to get 300 base XP, I have looked at the ship I got up went to kitchen eaten some cadbury chocolate " Fruit an Nut " sat back down looked at the ship then got and went eaten more chocolate, I've done this 5 times, I have almost eaten the chocolate bar because i cant motivate myself to play another repetitive mission.

I have to reach 20000 base points in Spanish Cruisers as well as for the special patch 12.9, also 35000 for CA to finish off section 8 of the dockyard after having the same for DD's and BB's and this for ship I have no interest in, and if you ask me why I am doing the only answer I can think of is " loyalty to the game " possibly, then theirs the 25000 base points for the North Pole event, MY GOD WG  DO KNOW HOW MIND NUMBING THIS IS.

I'm playing 95 % in COOP try getting that base point in there, and before anyone goes " well why don't play in random " random sucks big time has for nearly 4 years its ether your team gets annihilated or you annihilate the red team " really a lot fun these days " then there is Tier 8 / 9 which is torment to play even, " IF " you win your Tier 8 gets wiped off the map and worse your tier 9 faces those ridiculous " Super ships " and gets wiped off the map.

Operations has not had anything new in years, sure they refined a few of the operations but nothing new.

What are we up to this year CLAN BATTLES season 523, RANK season 2001, RANK SPRINT season 1105, BRAWL season 3305, monotony plus, same stuff on and on and on, over and over.

They have only had 2 decent ship lines come out in the past few years, the rest have been mediocre at best ( i'm certain some will disagree with me on that )so there is nothing to get excited about. 

WG have made very little effort to bring anything new into this game apart from Airships and CV's that drop mines or smoke up and Subs and the community is divided, but even with these new ship types and gimmicks the game still has a 20 minute format in the same modes.

The DEV dept is creatively bankrupt on ideas and when a community member puts something forward its either rejected out of hand or ignored completely.

Look at EVE ONLINE, Star Wars Knights of the old republic, Lord of the rings online, Elders scroll online, these games have global campaigns for various factions,and not this 8 missions with 6 tasks B.S.

EVE ONLINE is a world wide phenomenon with battles involving thousands of ships fighting in some cases over 24 hours non stop, what have we got 20 minute bloodbaths or curb stomping's.

Once WG got all there servers integrated they should have been working on a global map for a global campaign with each server as faction fighting for control of the map and resources, they still have the old setup as well for those not interested in real challenge, but the best we got was part 4 of the Halloween operation, bravo WG.

WG has driven this game into the ground, I try to be positive and psych myself up but this game sucks the enthusiasm out of you and turns you into mindless zombie trying to finish the same tasks, missions, event over and over.

Edited by tm63au
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Mate, take a break, seriously. Don't stress out over WoWS, nor any other game.

There's no point in driving yourself into a ground doing something you get zero fun out of. Play something else for a while, keep tabs on the game and us, hop back in when you start feeling like you'd like to give it a try again.

I know exactly like you feel, I cut down playing dramatically when I realized it. I almost play daily even now, but not that many battles. If I don't feel like playing today, I won't. As for the missions, I now prioritize them heavily. I only pay attention to the ones that would give me something I really would like to have. Otherwise, I get what I get and no second thoughts about it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Mate, take a break, seriously. Don't stress out over WoWS, nor any other game.

There's no point in driving yourself into a ground doing something you get zero fun out of. Play something else for a while, keep tabs on the game and us, hop back in when you start feeling like you'd like to give it a try again.

I know exactly like you feel, I cut down playing dramatically when I realized it. I almost play daily even now, but not that many battles. If I don't feel like playing today, I won't. As for the missions, I now prioritize them heavily. I only pay attention to the ones that would give me something I really would like to have. Otherwise, I get what I get and no second thoughts about it.

^^this.

Also, try playing a couple of games in a division with a friend or two.  This will give you an opportunity to chat with some friends while you play and not feel like you're alone with the grind.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I try to be positive and psych myself up but this game sucks the enthusiasm out of you and turns you into mindless zombie trying to finish the same tasks, missions, event over and over.        

Like you, for 2 years I obsessively played this game, chasing every mission and objective. My life revolved around it.

I recently stopped doing that and enjoy the game much more now. I just play a few different types of battles a day when I feel like it, and don't worry about the missions. The rewards are often irrelevant, the current North Pole one being a good example. 

I'm so glad I never got into sinking money into this. It can become an addiction you have to break.

• Like 5

@tm63aubeen there, mate.  Time for a break.  And I think this is true for any game one may play.  After my break, I stopped checking the progress of missions and campaigns, and I feel a lot better.  I stopped looking at the numerous packages and deals rolled out - it is mind-numbing.  I just play the game - random, ops - whatever I desire or mood I'm in.  I stopped worrying about all the clutter (deals) the game now has in it and just focused on playing when and what I desire.

I do think you hit on another important aspect - the lack of freshness (new ideas) to the game.  Perhaps it is not just you who needs a break, but on the other side of the coin, developers at WG.  They eat and sleep this game.  Perhaps a break, taking a step back, would allow them to be a little more creative.  Human nature is when you run out of ideas, and you tend just to throw anything out there to see what sticks.  They seem to be in that phase, especially in the past year.

• Like 3

I used to put lots of time into WoWS. Not any more. Now I play maybe 30 minutes a day to farm that first daily crate and two of the BP missions and call it good. 

It used to be fun, now it is less so. I play other games now and really only do Ships out of habit. I also keep thinking that maybe the game will get fun again so want to keep my account active as well as accumulate resources. 

The way I deal with events is just ignore most of them. I sign up for all of them but only complete some accidentally. Very rarely do they have anything worth my time. Sometimes I purposefully ignore a mission just because Wargaming used to track completion numbers which gauges player interest. Since they don't listen to the mouthy minority and pay attention to the silent majority, it was a way to communicate with them without actually having to interact with them assuming they still track that data. 

WoWS is a better game when you don't play it exclusively or spend money on it. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

just ignore the missions and set your own creative goals ...

Yes.  ^^^^

I've been dabbling in creative writing as a side-game, in certain topics.

Here on DevStrike

If Our Captains Could Talk... again.
https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/

Old Wolrld of Warships forum (soon to be deleted, at the end of October 2023).

If our commanders could talk...
By Ensign_Cthulhu, June 26, 2020 in Off-Topic
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/221037-if-our-commanders-could-talk/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tm63au said:

The DEV dept is creatively bankrupt on ideas and when a community member puts something forward its either rejected out of hand or ignored completely

Ah, the real Dev department was removed two years + ago.  They were called the R&D team.  So, what is left is called "Revenge of the Clones" because, the real programming talent was too expensive to maintain (I am guessing at this.......)   And, that is why the Submarine launch screwed up so many of the game mechanics.......the new guys simply didn't know how to make them work .   It seems to me like an "on the job training program"..... 

But, let's be real here.....we'll never see "first world content" ever again.   Those days are long over IMO.  We'll see the "shell" of what could have been and the game will continue to spiral down and freeze (which, the numbers seem to have done....)  It won't close so long as the whales continue to buy everything offered.  We have a whale that does exactly that........a collector of sorts.   Heck, aren't we all in some way just that: collectors of "stuff...." 

As everyone above I'd suggest two things:  1)  find better chocolate and 2) "just division with friends...."  - that seems to work for many of us that would have left two years ago....

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Asym said:

"just division with friends...."  - that seems to work for many of us

I've enjoyed divisioning with you and your friends, in the past.
More recently had a session of divisioning with @Volron.

Also, it's possible to division with some Twitch streamers during their streams.  Notably @Lord_Zath, but sometimes others.

Last, but not least, look around you when on these forums or while visiting Twitch streams that you enjoy and write down the names of people you enjoy interacting with, so that you can contact them later-on and arrange to division-up with them.  🙂 

• Like 3

The game for me has finally gotten fun.  It's been a grind to get to this point where I can choose any battleship and know how to play it well.  I have spent money on this game but only after considerable thought about the benefits I expect to receive from those purchases.  One nice thing about being in the position to play any ship among 200 is when the mood hits you, play it.  I pay attention to the missions when I just want to play but not really care about what I play so, I might select a ship based on mission requirements.

I also find it helpful to have a guilty conscience about spending so much time, effort, and money into something that doesn't help in real life.  The balancing makes life exciting.

• Like 2

Beacouse you play to finish missions and dailys instead just play your favorite ships. Who cares about missions, there is going to be 10000 more missions, just look at your port pick ships you like to play, mark them primary and go and play for fun. Beacouse when you do missions you get a feeling you are doing some job instead of fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've enjoyed divisioning with you and your friends, in the past.
More recently had a session of divisioning with @Volron.

Also, it's possible to division with some Twitch streamers during their streams.  Notably @Lord_Zath, but sometimes others.

Last, but not least, look around you when on these forums or while visiting Twitch streams that you enjoy and write down the names of people you enjoy interacting with, so that you can contact them later-on and arrange to division-up with them.  🙂 

This is a good idea...

...now that I'm getting more into things like Discord...maybe we should setup some of this forum divisioning...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

This is a good idea...

...now that I'm getting more into things like Discord...maybe we should setup some of this forum divisioning...

I'm not on discord, and have no plans to be. 
Nor do I have voice-chat enabled (I play while using a Laptop computer in our living-room while my Wife watches television, so I prefer to avoid inflicting a cluttered sound environment upon other people, as a courtesy).

That said, I can type fairly quickly in battle-chat and can be reached via Port-chat messages in-game, or via posts and messages here in the DevStrike forum.  🙂 

• Like 2

Just take a break. Even a small one. I used to be a grind maniac and would grind out EVERYTHING that dropped asap. It used to be a running joke on NA about how "the patch just dropped 5 mins ago and AT is already done".  I no longer do that with everything. It causes burn out. I actually will go days without playing now or I only play a couple games and get that "frustrated feeling" and just stop. WOWS is a game not a job. If it is a good day and it's fun play if it's a day where you are just getting frustrated and upset stop.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tm63au said:

WG has driven this game into the ground, I try to be positive and psych myself up but this game sucks the enthusiasm out of you and turns you into mindless zombie trying to finish the same tasks, missions, event over and over.

Do what I do.  Don't. 

If there's something I want to accomplish in-game - like staying in my clan - I can be motivated to push the Battle button.  Once I'm in, I get into playing, but I don't last as long as I used to.  Maybe a half dozen games.  I stopped chasing missions a long time ago.  The first two daily crates will keep me playing for a bit.  But I don't feel that I'm missing something by not playing.  So take a break.  Put your feet up.  Get in some more ZZZs. 

The idea of playing with buds in voice comms is a good one.  When I had that going, I could play 20 games straight, even doing the same thing over and over - like for the Victory event.  (That one damn near burned me out, but I finished top 5%.) 

Or here.  Try something light and relaxing, with a bit of horror thrown in for the season and to exercise your adrenals.  Dredge  Just look at those review scores!  And it's closed ended so you won't get too caught up in it.  (You might check other sites for sales, but GoG has an offline version where you don't have install their game center. 👍)

Here's to your mental health. 🍻

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

The game for me has finally gotten fun.

How many battles has it taken to get to this point?  Common wisdom is that it takes 1000 battles to "get it".  I wonder how that correlates to "fun".

3 hours ago, HogHammer said:

I do think you hit on another important aspect - the lack of freshness (new ideas) to the game.  Perhaps it is not just you who needs a break, but on the other side of the coin, developers at WG.  They eat and sleep this game.  Perhaps a break, taking a step back, would allow them to be a little more creative.  Human nature is when you run out of ideas, and you tend just to throw anything out there to see what sticks.  They seem to be in that phase, especially in the past year.

That was a good point, but I don't know what WG can do about it.  They've added, in addition to what the OP mentioned, Arms Race and Convoy modes to Randoms, and less recently, Scenarios.  There's two special modes a year. 

But under it all, it's naval combat.  Move, sight, shoot, hope.  About the only way to change that would just make it more complicated.  (Which people complain that subs did.)  If there are ideas that wouldn't hose MM, I'm sure WeeGee would love to hear them.

Oh, hey!  @tm63au Have you played subs?  "And now for something completely different."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

But under it all, it's naval combat. 

Eh...not REALLY. 😉

But it's still fun.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tm63au said:

Look at EVE ONLINE, Star Wars Knights of the old republic, Lord of the rings online, Elders scroll online, these games have global campaigns for various factions,and not this 8 missions with 6 tasks B.S.

EVE ONLINE is a world wide phenomenon with battles involving thousands of ships fighting in some cases over 24 hours non stop, what have we got 20 minute bloodbaths or curb stomping's.

First off, feeling burnt out is natural. Take a break for a while and come back. The game will be fun again.  
Now you quoted other games and you’re comparing apples to a Saturn 5 rocket. those other games are RPGs at their base. Nothing even remotely in common with wows. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

If there are ideas that wouldn't hose MM, I'm sure WeeGee would love to hear them.

Actually, I miss "first world content"... 

What I mean by that, an event or mode of play that compels you;  because, for you, it makes sense and is fun !  Asymmetrical Battles for me, was really a lot of fun....

Even tough they reminded me of the MM bug where we'd get one or two human player COOP matches and that drove me to almost quit the game........and, had I had 1/2 a brain and thought about it a little more (and, not pissed everyone off around me because I was sooooo frustrated (sorry again guys)) I would have made a fortune playing those matches !!!  

If I were suggest a simple MM change, I'd create a mode for COOP that replicates those MM Bug days as a stand alone mode of PVE I'd call "Challenge Matches".....  and, I'd boost the BOT IQ's a smidge.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iDuckman said:

How many battles has it taken to get to this point?  Common wisdom is that it takes 1000 battles to "get it".  I wonder how that correlates to "fun".

I'm somewhere around 9000 battles and I am starting to 'get it' with BBs.  I still have a long way to go with cruisers and DDs before I'll have that comfortable feeling.  The CVs and subs are a maybe way off in the distant future I'll try.  Not stressing about credits and xp because I don't really need them and just playing what I have is the thing that really helps to make this game fun.

• Like 3

Nearing 70 years of age i just play it as a fun game where you just kill pixel ships, i never worry about grinding and given time have reached t8 in every tech tree line and t10 in 4,superships in 2 tech lines.

Since 2018 i have reached 21K+ battles in co-op and operations without stress or worry-amazing how many now prefer it to the static game play in some modes.

Wows is not a sim its an arcade game -look at all the so called balancing to make it work.

I never take any game seriuosly,not real,just a diversion to enjoy.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, tm63au said:

As others have also said, it's a game, don't take it seriously. We'll always have a ton of missions now, it's how WG wants us to populate the server and get investment so that we're more likely to spend.

But in the end it's just a game, not a job. Play only when you feel like it, don't get emotionally involved in doing mission chains unless you really really want the thing at the end. You own the game, not the other way around.

• Like 4