Yamamoto Isoroku - What would be your favorite/suggested ship to level him up on?

Jakeshuffle

I wrapped up the fourth campaign to get Yamamoto, and for safe keeping right he is on the Nagato. I was going to slap him on my Zao since I like grinding the line, however, since my first idea is usually a bad one I thought I'd ask what ships/lines others have used Yamamoto on.

I'm also taking battleship advice 'cause I'm hot garbage with them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I wrapped up the fourth campaign to get Yamamoto, and for safe keeping right he is on the Nagato. I was going to slap him on my Zao since I like grinding the line, however, since my first idea is usually a bad one I thought I'd ask what ships/lines others have used Yamamoto on.

Yamato > Zao > Haru imo those are the only three choices that actually need and work good with him.

• Like 2

Just now, Jakeshuffle said:

Yamato. First blood is much easier than with Zao or Shimakaze by virtue of being able to delete cruisers, while also being able to potentially confirm a first blood on DD. Not sure you'd want BB advice from a 46% Yamato player though lmao. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Congratulations.  🙂 

Currently my Isoroku Yamamoto is the Captain of my Shikishima.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Currently my Isoroku Yamamoto is the Captain of.....

He is the Captain of every non-TT ship that can accept him without cost.

The IJN TT ships I play all have 21 or 19 point CPT's.

Every Nation has one 21 Special CPT (if available) or just a normal 21 pointer for the Premium ships.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Same as most opinions above: Yamamoto was on Zao until I got Yamato where he lives now at 21 pts... plus as @Asym points out... every non-TT ship as needed. Turret traverse is his most useful "all the time" buff which gets better the slower your turrets are.  Since I have the Unique upgrade on Yamato, he really helps there.

Good luck where-ever you put him.
🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have him on the Kamikazi...

The first blood is perfect because it gives her extra speed boost and extra smoke.

Which comes in handy in the no AA for anyone, except the CV meta.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

This is of course subject to what classes you like to play but for me hes a given on Kitakaze at T9. If you are a competent DD player you can really carry teams to wins in that strong DD, and being able to trigger those buffs, like getting a zombie heal in the later state of the game is a game changer, also getting that reload buff on a DD like that turns it into a Minigun from hell.

This was some games I got buffs with Yamamoto in Akizuki even before I grinded Kitakaze

and then Kitakaze...

For me, the IJN BB line isn't the same Kraken and First blood printing machines as the gunboat DD line. I was considering using him on my Asashio since I gotten most Krakens in that ship overall, but the buffs wont give the same effect on a torp boat.

When it comes to Legendary Captains I usually dont look as much at what buffed skills they got (like faster turret traverse etc) but more the Legendary Special triggers they have and on what ship they would serve me best. And in this case, getting an extra Speed boost, Smoke and TRB for First blood (which you get a lot contesting caps at start in Kitakaze), which pretty much gives you "Superintendent" for free, freeing up more captain skill point for other stuff, and also getting Insane 34% reload buff to all those guns AND a zombie heal with Kraken, its just way to good and powerful to not use.  

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Like 3

And, at some point, our host will read this thread and prevent us from using:   "One Captain to play them all....."

SNAP.......it's inevitable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Bored 1

Works well in anything, but maybe stick to good lines (DD/BB/CV). Yamato likes turret traverse the most along with shima/yamagiri, but it's not critical. 

• Like 1

As said above, build his skills for whatever "home" ship you want to use him for (and if it is a tech tree ship, assign him and begin re-training), but to build his skill points use him in every premium/special IJN ship you play.  If you put him in a tech tree ship that requires retraining, but don't enjoy using a captain with limited use of skills while retraining, play him in premium ships until his retraining is complete (captain XP earned while playing in premium ships counts towards his retraining XP for his assigned ship).

For this reason, nearly all* of my premium ships do not have permanent captains on them.

*a few premium ships have special quirks that do not align with any other ships of the same nation, and therefore need a captain with specific skills.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Thanks 2

Yamamoto was the captain of my Yamato for a long time, but since I don’t play tier X very often and also have Shikishima he is now trained for Nagato.

My general approach to these types of special captains is to place them according to where their improved skills will have the most benefit on a ship I enjoy playing regularly. The notable exception is Lutgens due to how much easier and more consistent the activation of his special talents are. For Yamamoto, his improved GtG is the primary consideration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asym said:

And, at some point, our host will read this thread and prevent us from using:   "One Captain to play them all....."

Or no captain on any ship. That's the other direction.

For me Admiral Yamamoto commands Nagato, as far as the tech tree ships go. Otherwise, any premium would be an option, but I don't tend to fling my captains around. Usually one tech tree ship, and one premium ship is how I station them. Some premium ships, again, I have more than one trained captain for. The plan is to have slightly different captain builds in that case, at least originally that was my plan.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Asym said:

He is the Captain of every non-TT ship that can accept him without cost.

The IJN TT ships I play all have 21 or 19 point CPT's.

Every Nation has one 21 Special CPT (if available) or just a normal 21 pointer for the Premium ships.

It may surprise you to know I'm aware of how assigning Captains to Ships works.  😉 
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

That said, I tend to assign a Commander to a ship and keep them there as Captain, unless there are temporary assignments for specific purposes (Such as the "borrow your boat" program I implemented in my Port) or a permanent reassignment position opens up (with the acquisition of a new ship, for example).

For some examples, I suggest reading some of the posts I've written in the following topic.  🙂 
https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Asym said:

This is my main tactic since that commander change, first Free XP-ing all my Legendary captains to 21 and since I mostly play Premium ship the last couple of years because they usually the strongest and they give better rewards, I pretty much use my legendary captain in every game I play.

So, for instance, my Halsey commander is trained on Annapolis which imho is the most OP Supership in the game, but I also use him in all my 

• Kidd
  • Massachusetts
  • Black
  • Alaska
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Kearsarge
  • Missouri
  • Sherman
  • Ohio
  • Sims
  • Congress
  • Rochester
  • W.Virginia   games

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

It may surprise you to know I'm aware of how assigning Captains to Ships works.  😉 
https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander

That said, I tend to assign a Commander to a ship and keep them there as Captain, unless there are temporary assignments for specific purposes (Such as the "borrow your boat" program I implemented in my Port) or a permanent reassignment position opens up (with the acquisition of a new ship, for example).

For some examples, I suggest reading some of the posts I've written in the following topic.  🙂 
https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/

Gosh, did I say you don't know??  And, if I am surprised of anything anymore, it's when there is some dark or obtuse humor I don't understand?...!  Lol "it may surprise you.... et al..."  Oy Vey....

• Bored 1

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

.....I mostly play Premium ship the last couple of years because they usually the strongest...

Wait what?

4 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

This is my main tactic since that commander change, first Free XP-ing all my Legendary captains to 21 and since I mostly play Premium ship the last couple of years because they usually the strongest and they give better rewards, I pretty much use my legendary captain in every game I play.

So, for instance, my Halsey commander is trained on Annapolis which imho is the most OP Supership in the game, but I also use him in all my 

• Kidd
  • Massachusetts
  • Black
  • Alaska
  • Georgia
  • Illinois
  • Kearsarge
  • Missouri
  • Sherman
  • Ohio
  • Sims
  • Congress
  • Rochester
  • W.Virginia   games

Yep, by Golly I think he's got it !...."   Most of us "older players" do the same thing for every line of Premium ships.  One day, our Host will decided to Pock with that premise, just to see how far they can push us...   That will be the end for me.

1 minute ago, Asym said:

Gosh, did I say you don't know??  And, if I am surprised of anything anymore, it's when there is some dark or obtuse humor I don't understand?...!  Lol "it may surprise you.... et al..."  Oy Vey....

I am *very* literal.

And, as I mentioned in a different topic the other day, written communications lacks "body language" which provides additional information in a person-to-person verbal and visual conversation.

https://www.devstrike.net/topic/3480-never-met-a-more-useless-bunch-of-players-in-all-my-time/?do=findComment&comment=45349

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you are grinding to build up the -commander-, then you want to put him on whatever tech tree ships you most enjoy using in order to make to process as quick and painless as possible.  If you have Premium ships of the national line that will do instead, figuring out where you want him to end up is your best bet and then sail those.

As far as battleship advice, I'll leave that to the better BB players, but IJN BBs are different in some ways from others.  They seem to be able to take being broadside better than others (or have such low armor when angled that they get penetrated anyway), but my instincts are still to angle when reloading and do the wiggle when ready to fire.  Use Turret Lock to position your turrets to the side of the ship you intend to fire from rather than where you might be looking until you are ready to start firing.  Don't go off on your own, and be ready to punish any Cruisers that engage your DDs.  With IJN BBs, avoid close range against other BBs unless you have to in order to secure the win (other nations build their BBs to be better at brawling, while IJN tend to want to stay at medium or long ranges).

Above all, enjoy playing the ships you play!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Asym said:

Yep, by Golly I think he's got it !...."   Most of us "older players" do the same thing for every line of Premium ships.  One day, our Host will decided to Pock with that premise, just to see how far they can push us...   That will be the end for me.

Yeah, yeah.  😎
"The world ends at eight o'clock.  Film at eleven." - Ficticious News Anchor meme.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jakob Knight said:

Above all, enjoy playing the ships you play!

Sir, this is a video game. We don't do fun here!

Jokes aside, I appreciate everyone's feedback!

• Like 1

Just now, Jakeshuffle said:

Sir, this is a video game. We don't do fun here!

Jokes aside, I appreciate everyone's feedback!

Just remember that we can offer advice, but you get to choose if it's good advice (except mine...I know everything!  🤪 ) .

• Haha 1

Whatever tech line you will play the most. 

He is on my Kita as tier 9 used to be fun and I feel the Kita is more fun than Haragumo

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Wait what?

Well "Usually the strongest", sometimes the "funniest" ships to play. I dont have unlimited time to play this game so I try and get the most fun and rewards out of every match.

So, if I decide I want to play a T10 DD, I probably choose OP/Fun DDs like Sherman, Tromp, Marceau or Vampire II over playing Daring, Harugumo and Shimakaze etc etc.

So, if I decide I want to play a T9 BB, I probably choose OP/Fun BBs like Missouri (credits/radar), Jean Bart, Kearsarge, Illinois, Georgia over playing Izumo, Alcase, Lion etc etc.

So, if I decide I want to play a T9 DD, I probably choose OP/Fun DDs like Black or Groningen over playing Fletcher, Jutland  etc etc.

There are a few exceptions, for example I much rather play Venezia (especially after the recent Sub killer changes) than Napoli. I would probably rather play Hinden over Clausewitz and I would probably rather play St.Vincent over both Conq and Thunderer.

• Like 1