Is there enough up-to-date information for new players today?

_MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr

Hello, everyone!

This is the beginning of my journey here on this forum.

I was wondering today, do we have a lot of tutorials on YouTube for newbies to World of Warships?

Please make a list of the main topics that you think should be covered. Justify your choices.

Perhaps in the near future, based on your suggestions, I'll put together a series of detailed videos.

I would be happy to contribute to this community, where we can guide every player from beginner to expert player.

• Like 5

A lot of it is already out there to some degree or another. But I'd say a ton of newer players absolutely could use a few pointers on the following:

First and foremost, angling and going dark. Knowing when to go for maximum damage or merely use some of their guns without showing broadside. Or indeed when stopping their firing to get the opportunity to disengage and turn around while undetected. Tons of new players simply sail in a manner where they don't go dark and show broadside while attempting to get maximum potential damage done. And then get promptly dev-struck and sent back to port.

The economics of battle... and why blindly rushing up the tech tree early on can heavily stall account progress. Tier seven ships is the last tier that tends to be profitable no matter how your game went for purely F2P without premium time or premium ships. And with how dangerous the game gets at higher tiers for those that haven't at least partially mastered some of the fundamentals? Queue losing credits once playing tier nine and higher especially. Especially if they for some reason think that playing a supership to avoid being bottom tiered is a bright idea.

Collections and Campaigns. A solid way to get your hands on a number of bonus packages, additional resources, and eventually some unique commanders. There is plenty to be said here on how players can get a selection of free bonus packages across a host of tier seven to nine ships that will assist them in acquiring more credits, getting more free XP, and training commanders faster. And some of the collections can be started by only spending around a thousand coal and then setting the collection to subscription mode so part of it come with the daily crates.

• Like 5

I've been told that the stat numbers for ship's Artillery, Torpedoes, Airstrike, etc mean absolutely nothing. After playing enough I think I can understand and compare the itemized perks from ship to ship, but is there a tutorial on WHY a ship with 80 artillery on the stat could be worse than a 70?

Edited by Jakeshuffle
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I've been told that the stat numbers for ship's Artillery, Torpedoes, Airstrike, etc mean absolutely nothing. After playing enough I think I can understand and compare the itemized perks from ship to ship, but is there a tutorial on WHY a ship with 80 artillery on the stat could be worse than a 70?

We were actually talking about what those numbers actually mean the other night.  They are a Reference; not an absolute value.....  How you play affects the capabilities of what those "guideline" numbers reflect.   Ever play a 95 Artillery number and simply can't hit the water, let alone a ship?  Or my favorite, have a 95 in a Torpedo rating and you simply can't sink a ship ! 

They are references to compare ships with an to........not a reflection of their actual, individual effectiveness....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Asym said:

They are references to compare ships with an to........not a reflection of their actual, individual effectiveness....

mother of god.gif

2 hours ago, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

I was wondering today, do we have a lot of tutorials on YouTube for newbies to World of Warships?

1 hour ago, Kynami said:

A lot of it is already out there to some degree or another. But I'd say a ton of newer players absolutely could use a few pointers on the following:

This is actually an area near and dear to me and an opportunity that I believe WG (World of Warships) really missed the boat on (no pun intended) in the past and continues to this day.  Although WoWs does indeed put together good tutorial videos, many cover what I would refer to as top-line discussions on the game's overall mechanics.  The old forums were a good source of deeper instructions to the game, one I used frequently, but I did notice a drop in content contribution at about the same time as the Community Contributor exodus.  This led me to search on the internet on my own, YouTube in particular, for topic-related tutorials and information.  It would have been nice to have a sort of one-stop reference section at that time to point players who were really interested in improving various aspects of their game.  This, in turn, would have been a noble goodwill jester and a level of appreciation by WoWs to all those who contribute content but, more importantly, pointed players in the right direction instead of leaving the search for additional game knowledge totally on the shoulders of individual players.

We do currently have a pretty extensive Reference section with many valuable carry-over reviews from the old forum, but more importantly, much new information from a whole new breed of knowledgeable players, many of whom are currently on this forum.  This continues to grow as more players (new faces of the game) offer up reviews and other contributions.

I would encourage everyone to visit this section.  There are ship reviews and historical information, along with basic and advanced guides - covering all aspects of the game.

DevStrike! Reference Section

I cannot begin to tell you how helpful @iChase was to me early on with his excellent tutorials - videos, by the way, that are excellent for new-to-the-game players to watch.

We plan to grow this section of the forum as a "one-stop" location for game information and knowledge.  I am convinced that we, as players, have the opportunity to make this game better by helping each other, or we can sit around and complain.  Many here would rather roll up their sleeves, look at the issues/problems, and come up with solutions.

So, if you have contributions that will help players of all levels, we are here to help and get that message out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

main topics that you think should be covered

Vision mechanics would be my number one pick, although if people were better at this aspect of the game my life would be a lot harder (DD main in PvP).

My feeling is that a lot of the dumb stuff that happens in the game is partially driven by large chunks of the player-base not getting that the vision battle is a key part of the game, and that understanding it is essential to doing at least tolerably in the game.

My delusionally optimistic view is that we might get fewer BB drivers whinging about 'invisible destroyers' if they actually knew how to deal with them.

(Re: tutorials in general, I sometimes suspect that it suits WG to have a - generally - poorly-informed player-base; someone who doesn't know what they're doing is perhaps more likely to buy the latest premium wundership as it will clearly make them win more. There probably aren't enough of us with zero impulse-control to keep sufficient money rolling in.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

Hello, everyone!

Please make a list of the main topics that you think should be covered. Justify your choices.

Perhaps in the near future, based on your suggestions, I'll put together a series of detailed videos.

I would be happy to contribute to this community, where we can guide every player from beginner to expert player.

Welcome to the forum!

I think its a good idea but maybe hard to execute. And im not sure those who would be helped the most are interested to learn to be honest. Its not like there is a shortage of information and videos out there already to take part off.

But my recommendation for a new player would be to watch a whole lot of "Replay analysis" videos from big streamers like Flamu, Flambass, Lort Zath etc and also look at a lot of videos on the certain ships the new player is trying to learn.  This is the way I learned most of my knowledge of the game. Its hard to create guides for every possible moment in this game, its all so dependent on the circumstances in every situation.

I think we are all assuming that new players come here looking to be a unicum lvl player. I think that’s the wrong way to look at a new player comming to the game. Most new players are just looking at the game as a chance to sail their favorite warships from history and go shooty shooty pew pew against other ships from history. I know it wasn’t untill I had a couple thousand battles that I started to work getting better at the game mechanics. If a new player wants to learn about the game, all they have to do is search YouTube for Worjd if Warships beginners guide.  A section here dedicated to teaching game mechanics as they relate to ways different ships play would be a much better investment of time. Not so much a beginners guide resource as a players who want to improve resource. 

5 hours ago, _MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr said:

Is there enough up-to-date information for new players today?

Hello, everyone!

Welcome to the forum @_MIDGARD_TARTARIA_prpr.

As @HogHammer mentioned, the resources for beginner (and veteran) players to reference "all in one place" is a work-in-progress, at the moment.
I feel that your enthusiasm is a welcome addition to help with making more progress.  🙂 

https://www.devstrike.net/forum/7-reference-section/

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 2

The hard part seems to be "updated" information.  Like I was trying to do yesterday- find updated articles and vids of sub play.  There are many resources out there, but going back a few months or longer, that info may not be so relevant. 

• Thanks 1

I used to watch individual ship reviews and gameplay vids on Youtube, then shifted part of my focus to streamers after Twitch seemed to become more of a "thing". Sadly a lot of these old videos are less relevant now, as there have been multiple changes to the commander skills (even before the major overhaul a few years back) and to the way consumables (no need to purchase with in-game currency any more) and concealment (camo-based concealment now baked into the ships) are handled, to say nothing of the way carriers interact with surface ships. However, the surface-to-surface gameplay principles haven't changed much, and it's still not impossible to end up with a battle that's mostly full of ships which have been in the game for five years or more.

The old proverb about leading a horse to water but not being able to force it to drink is quite true in this case. There's a lot of educational material out there in terms of watching better men do things properly while they explain why they're doing what they're doing, whether on stream or in Youtube vids (though the latter tend to be cherry-picked successes because human beings are vain creatures).

Ultimately, however, the only way to really learn the game is to go out and play it, and oh boy did I get my teeth kicked in A LOT as a newcomer. And that's when you have to take a cold, hard look at your failures and realize that you can watch training videos all you want, but at the end of the day YOU have to go out and do the thing, and identify on the basis of experience why it went wrong and how you're going to change things next time. (And I admit I'm not the best at that, or my worst ships would be closer to my best ships in performance and I'd be a near-unicum instead of having a randoms winrate barely above 50%)

• Like 2

I would like to see a new "How it works" for map spawning. I would like to know the WG game mechanics behind opening spawn selection before the battle starts.  For example, why are ships map spawned are so close to other team mates? Why are DD's, CA's, or BB's not balanced (port or starboard) on spawn deployment? It appears they are all slanted in their deployment instead of spread out on the map for spawn deployment. But, WG has yet to produce such said video. I think its a state secret.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WG drove off all of the most motivated fans, so no real accurate guides anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I used to watch individual ship reviews and gameplay vids on Youtube, then shifted part of my focus to streamers after Twitch seemed to become more of a "thing". Sadly a lot of these old videos are less relevant now, as there have been multiple changes to the commander skills (even before the major overhaul a few years back) and to the way consumables (no need to purchase with in-game currency any more) and concealment (camo-based concealment now baked into the ships) are handled, to say nothing of the way carriers interact with surface ships. However, the surface-to-surface gameplay principles haven't changed much, and it's still not impossible to end up with a battle that's mostly full of ships which have been in the game for five years or more.

The old proverb about leading a horse to water but not being able to force it to drink is quite true in this case. There's a lot of educational material out there in terms of watching better men do things properly while they explain why they're doing what they're doing, whether on stream or in Youtube vids (though the latter tend to be cherry-picked successes because human beings are vain creatures).

Ultimately, however, the only way to really learn the game is to go out and play it, and oh boy did I get my teeth kicked in A LOT as a newcomer. And that's when you have to take a cold, hard look at your failures and realize that you can watch training videos all you want, but at the end of the day YOU have to go out and do the thing, and identify on the basis of experience why it went wrong and how you're going to change things next time. (And I admit I'm not the best at that, or my worst ships would be closer to my best ships in performance and I'd be a near-unicum instead of having a randoms winrate barely above 50%)

True enough.
Though, when I was a beginner, I was trying to take the prinicples from WW-II tactics and training and apply them to WOWs.
Sometimes I had success.  Other times were an apples to oranges comparison.

Example:  I had learned about a bombing training tactic wherein dive-bombers of a small squadron (from Norway, if I recall correctly) would find a ship to target and then split their formation to approach it from thee or more sides.  Thus splitting the AA fire and hopefully allowing one or more planes to get through and score hits.

I used this principle when setting-up attacks with my squadrons while playing RTS CV's.
But, when the CV re-work did away with the RTS era CV's, the tactic became obsolete because it couldn't be performed with re-worked CV's.

1 hour ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

I would like to see a new "How it works" for map spawning. I would like to know the WG game mechanics behind opening spawn selection before the battle starts.  For example, why are ships map spawned are so close to other team mates? Why are DD's, CA's, or BB's not balanced (port or starboard) on spawn deployment? It appears they are all slanted in their deployment instead of spread out on the map for spawn deployment. But, WG has yet to produce such said video. I think its a state secret.

For a newcomer, knowing what to do in the first 5 minutes of the game is probably the most important thing to learn.  Typically, videos do a lot of talking about the characteristics of the ship in the very beginning of the battle but do not say why they are heading in the direction they are going, what do they expect to encounter and what indications they should anticipate.  The exit plan for destroyers should be explained early.   

• Like 2

There might be something to be said for a small section on 'stuff I wish I'd realised sooner', although what would be on people's lists will probably vary from person to person.

For example, a major 'lightbulb' moment for me was when - years ago - someone on the old EU forum told me about toggling AA/secondaries via the P (?) key. It's not much of an exaggeration to say it revolutionised the game for me (having missed the way that longer-ranged AA and aircraft spotting interacted; this was also back when stealth AA ambushes were still a thing, so the impact was felt across more than just DDs).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

There might be something to be said for a small section on 'stuff I wish I'd realised sooner', although what would be on people's lists will probably vary from person to person.

For example, a major 'lightbulb' moment for me was when - years ago - someone on the old EU forum told me about toggling AA/secondaries via the P (?) key. It's not much of an exaggeration to say it revolutionised the game for me (having missed the way that longer-ranged AA and aircraft spotting interacted; this was also back when stealth AA ambushes were still a thing, so the impact was felt across more than just DDs).

👍

36 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

"Best Practices" guide!  Actually working on it.

• Like 5

On 2/24/2024 at 1:47 AM, HogHammer said:

"Best Practices" guide!  Actually working on it.

I'll keep an eye on it.

• Like 1

I think there is plenty of relevant information, there is no lack of material to learn as a new player(at least, as far as non-WG stuff). The issue now is the sheer volume of information a new player needs in order to get into the game is quite massive. You have to know the mechanics as well as their behind the scenes interactions(most of which you won't find direct information on outside of the Wiki or from players here like LittleWhiteMouse), need to know armor schemes of most vessels(of which there are now over 600+ ships in the game and growing), captain builds and skill interactions, etc.

Short answer, you have a mountain of homework to play this game or understand everything that's going on. I honestly don't believe a new player can do most of this on their own. You need to be on places like this and basically have a veteran player here on devstrike take time to actually teach, coach, and explain things(cause not everything is straight forward, like Krupp, dispersion, Sigma, engine parameters/turn radii, etc.). WoWs is not a new player friendly game at this point(unless you never leave tier 1 I suppose).

• Like 1

I've played WOWS for six years and am just now getting to where I'm pretty confident that I'll end up being more of a support to my team than a detriment to it.

My advice to a new player would be to start up a battleship line as they are somewhat easier to play than other ship types. Stick to Coop until you learn the ropes and learn how to use the Training Room to practice your aiming and get a feel of your ships before venturing into Operations, which can be tougher. If you play poorly in Operations you will get yelled at but this is just going to prepare you for Randoms. Stick to Randoms until you are pretty confidant with your playing and then proceed to Ranked and other modes if you want to.

The WOWS channel also has a lot of good info for beginners.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I've played WOWS for six years and am just now getting to where I'm pretty confident that I'll end up being more of a support to my team than a detriment to it.

My advice to a new player would be to start up a battleship line as they are somewhat easier to play than other ship types. Stick to Coop until you learn the ropes and learn how to use the Training Room to practice your aiming and get a feel of your ships before venturing into Operations, which can be tougher. If you play poorly in Operations you will get yelled at but this is just going to prepare you for Randoms. Stick to Randoms until you are pretty confidant with your playing and then proceed to Ranked and other modes if you want to.

The WOWS channel also has a lot of good info for beginners.

Good post Snargfargle. YouTube is full of videos that can help new players. They just have to watch them and learn. Sadly, many just do not care to take the time to do so. 

1 minute ago, Zysyss said:

Good post Snargfargle. YouTube is full of videos that can help new players. They just have to watch them and learn. Sadly, many just do not care to take the time to do so. 

Yeah, I see too many players just sailing around pew pew pewing their guns at the enemy, their allies, islands, or sometimes nothing at all without a care as to the game objectives. These are usually the "cannon fodder" who end up at the bottom of every team. They don't even work all that well as cannon fodder either because, not knowing a thing about how to angle to and dodge incoming fire, they are quickly sunk.

• Like 2

Watching the major leagues doesn't make me a better baseball player. [With a caveat.]

Youtube wasn't as helpful as twitch streams [at least for me]. Twitch offers a different variety of situations in real time. You can typically find someone playing DDs for instance and see their decision making on the spot. But it is valuable watching other classes. Some of the cc's are quite good players.

Playing brawls as much as possible has improved my randoms games. Brawls sort of forces you into the action and for a DD the experience is challenging. Plus I think brawls to be more forgiving of newer players and mistakes. [Again, just my opinion.] There are exceptions.

But the other thing is - brawls also is a way to play high tiers in this more forgiving environment. And what I've found is my randoms mid-tier games have become much better.

I also like to read more than I like to watch videos. But the readable content is at an all time low given the loss of the official forum; so I think that will improve on this forum during the next year.

cheers

• Like 2