Next page!

Monalie477
Go to solution Solved by I_cant_Swim_,

Hi, is there any reason why, when I click on the next page on a thread, it defaults to the bottom of the next page and not to the top?

Edited by Monalie477
  • Thanks 1

Maybe. The base setting is, that if you have already visited a page (i.e. seen posts already) then the system takes you to the newest point of that thread (the bottom, if you've read a page completely, or to the first unread post). Would that explain it in your case?

I was hoping that was the case, but I've gone into a few threads (that I haven't looked at previously) and immediately jump to the bottom of the page.

While we are on this topic, I think also clicking on the notifications seems to occasionally fail to take you to the correct post. Will have to keep my eye on both of these things should they occur.

Tested it here...

https://www.devstrike.net/topic/63-order-of-the-day-on-wargaming/page/5/

NB the above link works correctly!

Going either backward or forward seemed to land me randomly somewhere in the middle of the page in question. Not at the top, nor at the bottom. This is kind of strange.

I checked how this was coded on the official WoWS forum, and it's different.

What we have here is, as you can see in the link above, a format which works like this (when you hover your mouse pointer over the page number😞

thread name/page/[page number]/#comments

Why is that #comments there?

The official forums, however, had this coded differently:

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/154776-did-wows-get-you-into-model-making/?page=5

thread name/?page=[page number]

@I_cant_Swim_ Have you noticed anything similar?

For some reason the page numbers at the head of each thread have that unnecessary #comments added at the end of the links there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 10:04 AM, Monalie477 said:

Hi, is there any reason why, when I click on the next page on a thread, it defaults to the bottom of the next page and not to the top?

@Monalie477 I don't know why that was, as the admin settings were " move to first new content" or the like. It obviously didn't work. I've changed it now so it defaults to the top. @Admiral_Karasu perhaps this solves the issue you noted?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

@Monalie477 I don't know why that was, as the admin settings were " move to first new content" or the like. It obviously didn't work. I've changed it now so it defaults to the top. @Admiral_Karasu perhaps this solves the issue you noted?

Funnily, about 75% of it, if I go by what happens when reading this 4 page thread:

https://www.devstrike.net/topic/217-how-old-is-the-wine-forum-demographics-poll/

See for yourself where you land when you use the page number links at the head of each page.

Yeah, that's really odd. Page 2 is down, 1,3,4 are up. I'm a bit stumped, tbh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Yeah, that's really odd. Page 2 is down, 1,3,4 are up. I'm a bit stumped, tbh.

Suggest we keep an eye on how this is, will it be consistently like that with every thread. Nonetheless, as it is it's an improvement.

• Like 1

• Solution
1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Nonetheless, as it is it's an improvement

Yeah, a bit better. the issue is that the link, as you mentioned, keeps "#comments"  at the end.

www.devstrike.net/topic/217-how-old-is-the-wine-forum-demographics-poll/page/2/#comments

Removal of said word brings you to the top of the same page.

www.devstrike.net/topic/217-how-old-is-the-wine-forum-demographics-poll/page/2/

Perhaps, after changing the settings, the server just needs time to recode the links. Let's check back tomorrow...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...