Weekend Spree - 1 to 3 December 2023

Ensign Cthulhu

Did naval battles, fulfilled the Duncan and Tallinn daily quotas I set for myself. Took the kids to their various activities. Helped my wife finish relocating chickens to their winter quarters.

Deliberately having a rather quiet week, because it will get hectic after the new patch drops. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

Cool. Chicks in Coop.

And I thought for a second that there were a bunch of chicks playing in co-op.  Shucks!

22 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

And I thought for a second that there were a bunch of chicks playing in co-op.  Shucks!

I'm sure you could get nine prominent female CCs/streamers/content creators together for a charity event if you really tried. But if you called it that, most of them would probably have your head on a dish.

• Haha 3

Viewed Twitch streams from @Ensign Cthulhu and @Lord_Zath.  
Participated in a division with @Ensign Cthulhu during his Twitch Stream.  Was good fun.  

Posted in various topics, including https://www.devstrike.net/topic/40-if-our-captains-could-talk-again/

Watched portions of a couple of (American) Footbal games out of the corner of my eye while playing WOWs, this afternoon, while my Wife was watching the games.
Suffice to say, the New England Patriots did not play as well as my Wife hoped they would.

Participated in Naval Battles.  Scored 22 stars with 17 attempts.

My Wife and I plan to watch the newest Indiana Jones movie, tonight.

I've no complaints at the moment.  This is a pleasant surprise.

Did very little this weekend in the game...  Played a lot of Tier 6 BB COOP matches for Admiral Thunder's event.  Achieved almost nothing

Look at the MM distribution.  What you see is what I experienced 85% of the time.  I had ONE, 2x9 match today.  The rest were low scoring and senseless matches well below anything that would place in AT's event......  Not even close.  You can score event level scores from nothing.... Sad really.

shot-23_12.03_09_38.49-0674.thumb.jpg.0de8ce016f516c45addcaf61edcc7796.jpg

Had a Muzzle Loading competition Saturday AM.  I took a rifle I've never shot that belonged to a dear friend of mine.  I knew the gun maker for decades as well (he was a tanker !)  And, his work shows up for those that collect Green River Rifle works rifles from Utah (the late 70's and 80's.)  And, Oregon Trail Riles.  And, quite a few of his own, like the Hawken I was shooting.... 

image.png.2236cebd30211aa15a0a6c8fe7f8b8f8.png

image.png.a70a8316949281a0de510778cb06db31.png  Lloyd Helms 

I won the Rifle match in the snowflakes and fog with one of Lloyd's rifles...  Both were really neat and talented people.  One of the most accurate 54 caliber rifles I have ever owned....

Game wise:  no RO's.  No ASB's.  Nothing but about 30 COOP tier six BB matches.  Maybe, tonight some of the crew will show up.....although, I may just watch a movie - they are a lot more exciting than the game of late.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Asym said:

Played a lot of Tier 6 BB COOP matches for Admiral Thunder's event.  Achieved almost nothing

Look at the MM distribution.  What you see is what I experienced 85% of the time.  I had ONE, 2x9 match today.  The rest were low scoring and senseless matches well below anything that would place in AT's event......  Not even close.

So put an entry in and qualify for the random draw. 

It will be interesting to know what the winning totals are.

Congrats on the M/L win!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Full of scripting and continuity goofs

Oh dear. Indiana Jones films used to set the standard for being tightly run ships. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Oh dear. Indiana Jones films used to set the standard for being tightly run ships. 

The actors make it work and keep things entertaining.  But there were some situations that I simply blame on the director and the writer(s).
The "goofs" listed in the www.imdb.com link that I provided is probably best read after seeing the movie.  That way you can compare how many you noticed with how many are listed.  🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

So put an entry in and qualify for the random draw. 

It will be interesting to know what the winning totals are.

Congrats on the M/L win!

I did post scores on day one and have posted several other scores.  If I were to guess, well over 200,000.  And, I have never won but one lottery in my life and that was the draft lottery a long time ago...  See, the Schwartz has a sense of hunor !

And thanks, that was a special match for me....  I've lost several military friends this past 20 months and three civilian friends I competed with.  It's been Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days... (Judith Viorst, et al., 1972 - used with respect to a great book !)  

It wasn't the money won, it was knowing that that rifle, shot by a close friend dear to me and who was so generous in advice and humility in having world class skill;  that rifle, made by a real artist, a fellow Tanker and real example of just how great talent, generosity and ego should exist in this world;  and, best of all, knowing that the quality of the rifle's build would come down to Aim Small, Miss Small in the cold fog, falling snow and damp wind....  I shot clean and that says it all.......with a rifle I have never shot or practiced with....  And, Lloyd made a rifle that is simple to use:  top of the front sight where you want that lead ball to be and wa-la: target,cease fire...  Simple.

• Thanks 1

Finished the grind to 21 p on  my Satsuma captain on Musashi in asymmetric, I do not think I have touched Satsuma during the grind from 10 points, but it has taken long.

Finished my regrind on German cruisers which began on Nov 3. Are up to 190/240 on Mogador for the finish on the French DdD , also begun on Nov 3rd for 6 times RB on Kleber. Made these two resets for the Kitikami. (71.400 + clan bonus)

I have really grinded hard since Asymmetric started. Verdict Yorck Okish, Hipper bad, Roon much better. French DDs Vaquelin bad, Le Fantasque better and Mogador reasonable but it is quite difficult to carry in DDs , you are dependent on your teammates to thin out the enemy and Bot CVs if present are good with their rockets.

I had far better success in my final phase of Udaloi , that DD with smoke , heal and 3x5 TT was easier in Asymmetric.

In fact I found it easier to play standard as the bots tend to get the caps sometimes and you do not have time sometimes to sink the enemy fast enough.

When I play a ship like Musashi you sort of thin out the opposition so the WR is far higher in a BB. But after a lot of BB games bow in where the enemy sometimas hardly make even a dent at least you want to try something different but I spammed Musashi during this weekend for that Satsuma captain. now I grinded my Myoko captain a little as well, want to take all 3 remaining 19 pointers from the time before rework to 21, and Asymmetric is the perfect mode for that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gnirf said:

Verdict Yorck Okish, Hipper bad, Roon much better.

Odd. I'd have expected Hipper to be at least the equal of Yorck.

@Gnirf @Ensign Cthulhu my experience in ABs with German TT cruisers is that Hipper is better than Yorck and Roon in third place.  The chief reason being the gun layout on the Roon is A-XY meaning you only have one turret in front and need to angle your ship dangerously exposing your broadside in order to get the rear turrets in play.  Hipper and Yorck have AB-XY layout so you can get 2 turrets in play without exposing your broadside.  There are instances where the lower tiers get better MM, so Yorck may be in a better place than Hipper.  YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HamptonRoads said:

@Gnirf @Ensign Cthulhu my experience in ABs with German TT cruisers is that Hipper is better than Yorck and Roon in third place.  The chief reason being the gun layout on the Roon is A-XY meaning you only have one turret in front and need to angle your ship dangerously exposing your broadside in order to get the rear turrets in play.  Hipper and Yorck have AB-XY layout so you can get 2 turrets in play without exposing your broadside.  There are instances where the lower tiers get better MM, so Yorck may be in a better place than Hipper.  YMMV

The reason why I think Yorck was better than Hipper is as relative for tier it is a more nimble ship and smaller target and the bots BBs are a little less dangerous than on Hippers tier. 

Roon has heal so is more durable despite on average better opposition. And you have those turrets in the back which is good on retreat, also a large reason why the Germans have this config (retreating from superior forces). I do not use 3 turrets on Roon in many game situations. Switched a lot (AP/HE). Also on these cruisers you were generally more successful in Standard if your BBs did not thin out the opposition.

But for both shiptypes FR DDs and German cruisers I find that the higher tier players (hopefully better on average) and their corresponding BBs are stronger meaning they could take out the opposition faster.

Lower tier cruisers are HE spammers and ships without heal suffers a lot, they are just too many sometimes. On higher tiers you may get lower damage (tierwise) but better winrate, many times when I play a Musashi or some ship like that your ability to take out a enemy ship is far higher than lower down the line IMO.

My experience is probably due to many factors not just the ships itself. I would probably play both Mainz and Prinz Eugen (with heal) instead of Hipper but that does not work in a regrind situation. And the Akizuki, Kitakaze are probably superior to French DDs with no smoke but again it was those ship I regrinded. 

Edited by Gnirf
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gnirf said:

My experience is probably due to many factors not just the ships itself. I would probably play both Mainz and Prinz Eugen (with heal) instead of Hipper but that does not work in a regrind situation. And the Akizuki, Kitakaze are probably superior to French DDs with no smoke but again it was those ship I regrinded. 

And that's the elephant in the room - WHAT ARE YOU USING ASYMMETRIC BATTLES TO DO? If it's a regrind then yes, you have to live with the fact that your ship may not be ideal for the circumstances. Either that or grind it in some other mode as appropriate and available. 

I long since decided that I'm not hurrying over my grinds. There may be times when I grasp the nettle and go hell-for-leather with blue boosters in Randoms to get the last bit done, but on the whole if a grind takes months then so be it. The only ones I've ever really felt under pressure to do quickly were Shchors --> Moskva, Bismarck --> GK and Tashkent --> Khaba when the T10s in question were becoming coal ships. Any other fast grinds were my own choice.

• Like 1