PSA/Reminder. Old forum disappearance October 31

Andrewbassg

On 31th of this month (11 days), the old forums and their  content will be forever gone. So, if one plans to retrieve or to archive content.....keep that in mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Admiral_Karasu changed the title to PSA/Reminder. Old forum disappearance October 31
  • Admiral_Karasu pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I think you mean REMINDER, not REMAINDER. There's an A in there which needs to go.

I'm seeing REMINDER though... image.gif.471100aafc91c66a81c9f50ff5f3cccd.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I'm seeing REMINDER though... image.gif.471100aafc91c66a81c9f50ff5f3cccd.gif

That is because you corrected it! 😛

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Apparently we're reminding the remainder of DevStrike of about the impending deadline?

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 6

What I did for EU forum - where my main account now is (I transferred it some years ago when WG offered that) was to List all the players I could find who I thought were good players & intelligent players in my Contacts so I could try to division with them :).

• Like 1

On 10/20/2023 at 5:47 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

we're reminding the remainder

This 'reminds' me of an entertaining marine engineer who in discussing the human resources department referred to that as human 'remains'.  🙂

• Confused 1

Guys...

Has anyone tried to download/save anything from the forums today. Especially the EU forum? On Firefox, all downloads fail for me. On Edge and Opera, it works, but downloading a single page now takes about a minute or so.

I have printed out some pages in the Warships projects part that I find interesting. That can not be saved ofc but I will at least have them for my reference. It is sad that Tzolis work f.e. wil be lost. Some nice drawings from him.

26 minutes ago, Gnirf said:

I have printed out some pages in the Warships projects part that I find interesting. That can not be saved ofc but I will at least have them for my reference. It is sad that Tzolis work f.e. wil be lost. Some nice drawings from him.

I've been making backup copies of the Historical section. As long as the files haven't been corrupt, which is something I don't know, the one's I have are not lost yet, at least.

Mind you, due to copyright considerations it's possible we can't publish much. If people give us their permission, and especially if they have the originals on file, then it's all set to go.

For anyone grabbing material from the old forum all the way up to when it turns into a pumpkin, be reminded:

When WG says something “ends on XX date,” they typically mean in the wee hours of XX, and you should functionally regard it as bedtime of the night before.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I've been making backup copies of the Historical section. As long as the files haven't been corrupt, which is something I don't know, the one's I have are not lost yet, at least.

Mind you, due to copyright considerations it's possible we can't publish much. If people give us their permission, and especially if they have the originals on file, then it's all set to go.

This issue of failing web page downloads persists for me, it's system wide. No clue if it's down to some settings, file name length, or connection.

It shows up on the dowload progress indicator as a yellow triangle. image.png.b6620081255a73e0536b74eca7783fb0.png

In the list of download, the status is given as failed. This is when I try to save complete web pages on Mozilla. I've tried other browsers, but the results are usually similar. The downloads fails to create both the folder and the actual html page in the download folder. I'm now having slightly more success downloading the material into the default Windows download folder and moving it into the dedicated folder later on. As far as I can see, it now downloads the complete webpage, but still flags it as 'failed' in the browser itself. Pressing the circle to retry may actually be counterproductive as it may wipe off either the folder or the html page....

In any case, if someone else is having issues, check to see if you've actually downloaded the pages you wanted or not. I only noticed this issue yesterday, Monday 23 October, to my knowledge prior downloads did not have this issue.

On 10/24/2023 at 6:03 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

This issue of failing web page downloads persists for me, it's system wide. No clue if it's down to some settings, file name length, or connection.

It shows up on the dowload progress indicator as a yellow triangle. image.png.b6620081255a73e0536b74eca7783fb0.png

In the list of download, the status is given as failed. This is when I try to save complete web pages on Mozilla. I've tried other browsers, but the results are usually similar. The downloads fails to create both the folder and the actual html page in the download folder. I'm now having slightly more success downloading the material into the default Windows download folder and moving it into the dedicated folder later on. As far as I can see, it now downloads the complete webpage, but still flags it as 'failed' in the browser itself. Pressing the circle to retry may actually be counterproductive as it may wipe off either the folder or the html page....

In any case, if someone else is having issues, check to see if you've actually downloaded the pages you wanted or not. I only noticed this issue yesterday, Monday 23 October, to my knowledge prior downloads did not have this issue.

I've resorted to the brute-force method of going to a forum page, scrolling up & down to make sure I've opened & revealed all the "hidden contents" and then printing the entire page to a PDF file.
Not elegant, but, the content I want to see is preserved.

• Like 2

Yeah; everthing I might have wanted to save was lost when they did an archive 3-4 years ago.

Need to start paying more attention here.

Wonder hiw active the discord really is; (I don’t participate,) and if anyone at WG HQ has opined that ‘maybe closing the forum wasn’t such a great idea after all.’

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yeah; everthing I might have wanted to save was lost when they did an archive 3-4 years ago.

Need to start paying more attention here.

Wonder hiw active the discord really is; (I don’t participate,) and if anyone at WG HQ has opined that ‘maybe closing the forum wasn’t such a great idea after all.’

My take on that is that it was a) either a well thought out and prepared move or b) a hasty decision to jump from one platform to another. Having seen how WG tends to operate over many years, something tells me to lean more towards the latter rather than the former. Although, they had been running the WG Discord server concurrently for a couple of years, so they had access to some data if they made any of use it.

Discord is apparently easier to use if you are using a phone. I don't personally use a phone like that, though I know the phone applications can be used for relatively simple activities. I haven't tried reading lengthier forum posts, nor typing out any sort of forum posts on a cellphone, but it if it's anything like having try ¤%#%"" text messages where my thumb typically always hits one of the adjacent letters, I wouldn't recommend the Discord experience to my worst enemy... or maybe I would...

I don't have actual user stats to compare, but it seems that the Discord 'forum' activity is significantly down from what was the combined activity and interaction on the official WoWS forums across the regions.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Wonder hiw active the discord really is;

My experience over there was lots of chat...that wasn't moderated at all.

It's much nicer here with more interesting things to talk about.

Time to bury forever early WoWS. Now we have, what, Vampire or Zombie WoWS? Time to kill whatever early WoWS has mutated into.

Never, I repeat, NEVER give WG another penny. 

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

15 hours ago, Aethervox said:

Time to bury forever early WoWS. Now we have, what, Vampire or Zombie WoWS? Time to kill whatever early WoWS has mutated into.

Never, I repeat, NEVER give WG another penny. 

Good thought. Give more money to your grandchildren, so they can give it to WG.

Now that the old forum is finally gone....

After the last posts were finalized on the forums, I submitted the entirety of the NA, EU, and Asia forums to the archive bot for crawling and saving into a WARC for upload to the internet archive.

Here's a random page from each forum that you can see has only been crawled once in history by the bot after the morning of July 28th that froze the forums. It's a bit hard to try to prove that the hundreds of thousands of pages and millions of links that made up the old forums is truly there, but I encourage anyone to go take a look for themselves.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230728153525/https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/181-what-do-you-think-about-naming-our-own-ship/?page=2

https://web.archive.org/web/20230729032541/https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/50-world-of-warships-dev-answers-part-4/

https://web.archive.org/web/20230729090334/https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/6918-tech-trees/

I know the web archive isn't the speediest site in the world, but it's the best thing I know of for archiving entire websites.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

4 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

@alexrfy A cool first post, thanks for submitting the old forums to the web archive. Welcome aboard! image.gif.e6c02d71baba3f27e944d9eb24a533ab.gif

I can't take all the credit. I didn't write the archive bot crawler myself. I contribute servers to various open source projects and niche teams and communities around the internet so it's just a matter of knowing the right places.

The team members on hackint weren't surprised in the least though when I suggested the forums for archival. Forums closing aren't exactly a new phenomenon and are probably one of the more common reasons for a full site crawl with the bot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, alexrfy said:

Now that the old forum is finally gone....

After the last posts were finalized on the forums, I submitted the entirety of the NA, EU, and Asia forums to the archive bot for crawling and saving into a WARC for upload to the internet archive.

Here's a random page from each forum that you can see has only been crawled once in history by the bot after the morning of July 28th that froze the forums. It's a bit hard to try to prove that the hundreds of thousands of pages and millions of links that made up the old forums is truly there, but I encourage anyone to go take a look for themselves.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230728153525/https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/181-what-do-you-think-about-naming-our-own-ship/?page=2

https://web.archive.org/web/20230729032541/https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/50-world-of-warships-dev-answers-part-4/

https://web.archive.org/web/20230729090334/https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/6918-tech-trees/

I know the web archive isn't the speediest site in the world, but it's the best thing I know of for archiving entire websites.

In the name of GOD, Thank you! learn something new every day: 

• Like 1