A Question About The Trade-In

Frostbow

Has anyone tried the Trade-In already? I see that I can trade my Salem for a Tirpitz, absolutely free; or for a Dalian, for around 1,600 Doubloons.

I want to ask if the game allows me to purchase the Salem again from the Armory, within 5 minutes from successful completion of the Trade-In, for the usual Coal.

image.thumb.png.bcaaa8168a504dadc3e5627a3a19d28e.png

I picked up Dalian for 1625 dubs by exchanging Immelmann for her and then buying Immelmann again for coal. I did have to log out and back in for Immelmann to show as being available in the armory. For a second when I went to the armory and found Immelmann as already obtained I muttered a few expletives, logged out, logged in and she was available again. I chose Immelmann as I don't play CV and if it didn't work oh well, but it did.

Edited by Efros
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frostbow said:

Salem for a Tirpitz, absolutely free

If I were playing more, and earning coal at a faster rate, this would be a decent deal.  Since I'm not swimming in coal I think I'll pass.  Besides, I'm saving my coal for Brisbane.

This will throw the “never sell a premium ship” philosophy on its ear.

(Unless it’s still true, and ya gotta sell premium ships you actually LIKE, so you get only those back.)

(But what if “sold premium ship karma” knows you sold one you like, and trolls you by withholding it?

Ohhh, it’s so paralyzing!!!)

Edited by Utt_Bugglier

15 minutes ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

This will throw the “never sell a premium ship” philosophy on it ear.

For the FTP with lots of coal who can afford to buy the T10 ship back (and back, and back, and back...) and feels no pressure to hold back a reserve against an hour of need, this trade-in thing is a golden opportunity. For anyone else, not so much IMHO - they need to be more careful about it.

I have enough coal to buy Brisbane three times over right now (I'm waiting to do it until I get home so I can play with her the minute she's mine), but I'm not going to throw coal at Tier 10 prices after Tier 8 ships. To me, that's just foolishness.

Guest Capt_of_Satisfaction

Look at the trade-in value of an original Kutuzov compared to an Original Belfast.  When they pry them from my cold dead hands :classic_laugh:

kutuzov tradein value.png

I wish you could stack them.  I have a few I hate but Vanguard is only worth 6500 dubs, 6000 more than she's worth to me, but still not enough to feed the bulldog.  I'd go for San Diego and Kaga otherwise :-)

Edited by Capt_of_Satisfaction

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

but I'm not going to throw coal at Tier 10 prices after Tier 8 ships. To me, that's just foolishness.

But it depends: If you can trade out a coal ship you don’t like (or is perhaps redundant - see Salem/Des Moines, and/or B ship versions)  for a good doubloon (cash) ship, one can come out dollars ahead, and be out …what? - grind time?

Or maybe be out an anniversary supercontainer for a T-10…?…oh, waitaminit…

Love it (LOL). 

Anchorage and Odin are worth as much as Smolensk, Georgia, Musashi and other good boats.  I gotta start smoking whatever WG is.

11 minutes ago, S7CentNickel said:

Love it (LOL). 

Anchorage and Odin are worth as much as Smolensk, Georgia, Musashi and other good boats.  I gotta start smoking whatever WG is.

LOL! Jean Bart is also a ship you can trade in. Hahaha!

4 hours ago, Aragathor said:

I feel like the whole event is a thinly veiled question of "are you a sucker?"

LOL! It is, like each event, an IQ test.

6 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I have enough coal to buy Brisbane three times over right now (I'm waiting to do it until I get home so I can play with her the minute she's mine), but I'm not going to throw coal at Tier 10 prices after Tier 8 ships. To me, that's just foolishness.

In your case, you probably cannot maximize your Coal for the Trade-In. For other players, they probably have around 2,100,000 Coal, and they are looking at parting with some excess Coal to get a Doubloons-only Premium Ship, without any out of pocket expenses.

As with any event, the value is widely different for everyone. It would be foolishness to make sweeping generalizations.

7 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

If I were playing more, and earning coal at a faster rate, this would be a decent deal.  Since I'm not swimming in coal I think I'll pass.  Besides, I'm saving my coal for Brisbane.

Agree. Get the Brisbane, I have it and it is a good ship.

7 hours ago, Efros said:

I picked up Dalian for 1625 dubs by exchanging Immelmann for her and then buying Immelmann again for coal. I did have to log out and back in for Immelmann to show as being available in the armory. For a second when I went to the armory and found Immelmann as already obtained I muttered a few expletives, logged out, logged in and she was available again. I chose Immelmann as I don't play CV and if it didn't work oh well, but it did.

How is the Dalian? I'm interested in the ship.

About the ship to trade-in, I'm looking at my Sherman, as it is far more cheaper to get for Coal later. And I don't play it much as I'd rather play my Harugumo. A few more details to consider before I make a decision...

6 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Originally, I was thinking the same, you got to be a sucker.  When I logged in today I took a closer look, and I see I've got a couple of T10 coal ships I don't play much and I might be willing to trade them in.  Trading ships you don't for ships for ships you will play doesn't seem so dumb to me, at least for now that's how I looking at it.

15 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Originally, I was thinking the same, you got to be a sucker.  When I logged in today I took a closer look, and I see I've got a couple of T10 coal ships I don't play much and I might be willing to trade them in.  Trading ships you don't for ships for ships you will play doesn't seem so dumb to me, at least for now that's how I looking at it.

I have to agree with this you can also trade in a ship get the doubloons for it then by back the same ship for coal if say you have a lot of coal but no doubloons. Now you have doubloons to get the ship you might want without spending real money to get the doubloons . It's like trading resources to get the ship you want without spending cash. People are some times to quick to really look at the way things can work for you.

Edited by clammboy

8 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

thing is though, if you don't have doubs from either containers or earned in ranked, your essentially not trading in but getting a discounted price. If this were a true trade in, it would be ship for ship. The limited list of ships also is problematic, cause the only ship really worth trading for would be Tirpitz. Almost everything else is either really bad/mediocre, not relevant in the meta, or something that you already have/can earn for coal. Bayard is excluded as a result of the anniversary event where she can be earned 100% free.

1 hour ago, MBT808 said:

thing is though, if you don't have doubs from either containers or earned in ranked, your essentially not trading in but getting a discounted price. If this were a true trade in, it would be ship for ship. The limited list of ships also is problematic, cause the only ship really worth trading for would be Tirpitz. Almost everything else is either really bad/mediocre, not relevant in the meta, or something that you already have/can earn for coal. Bayard is excluded as a result of the anniversary event where she can be earned 100% free.

I'm looking at trading in T10 coal ships I don't play for the Tirptz and San Diego, which I'll play in ops.  The trade for these T8 ships won't cost me anything.  Overall, I know this event is really hit or miss., so I can understand if it's a pass for you.

44 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm looking at trading in T10 coal ships I don't play for the Tirptz and San Diego, which I'll play in ops.  The trade for these T8 ships won't cost me anything.  Overall, I know this event is really hit or miss., so I can understand if it's a pass for you.

Its more that I have 90% of the list already so I don't really have anything to trade for(except maybe Bayard because I've heard good things, but I already talked about her). San Diego I'd pass on personally, its really mediocre for what it is(For me, I already have Flint(and Atlanta, but I'd pick San Diego over Atlanta), which is objectively better for her tier if you play her well).

Honestly, if this event had been different. If it had been one for one, I'd be all for this. But it isn't, its basically trading in for a discount coupon. I might even consider it more if there was more good ships on the list, but there isn't. The value prospect just isn't really here unless your going for one of the two or three good ships.

Edited by MBT808

10 hours ago, Frostbow said:

For other players, they probably have around 2,100,000 Coal, 

They have HOW MUCH????!!!! 😲

Oh Good Lord. Yeah, they've got more than enough to be able to throw at something like this. To them it's common sense!

8 hours ago, MBT808 said:

Bayard is excluded as a result of the anniversary event where she can be earned 100% free.

Technically one could get Bayard and flip her for something else in the Anniversary. However...

Here are the ones you can get with a trade-in:

Boise, Duke of York, SiIms, Blyskawica, San Diego, Kaga, Bayard, I-56, Tirpitz, Kearsarge, Agir, Z-44, Pommern, Dalian, Yoshino, Tromp, Malta.

image.thumb.png.6d62dde6c68a9a417de5215e98274580.png

Here are the ones you can get in lieu of Bayard:

Siliwangi, Z-35, Fenyang, Ochakov, Loyang, Hampshire, Le Terrible, Tiger 59, Wichita, Gascogne, Irian, Saipan, Vanguard, Pyotr Bagration, Kidd, and Rochester.

I have a vague feeling that in the absence of a particular personal preference, many would consider Bayard better than most if not all of the ships on that second list.

Being pedantic here...but Bayard offered in the anniversary event is not actually free.

It costs you the resources you would have gotten if you spent the tokens on the other options.

Further, the tokens themselves aren't free...they are earned by having bought or ground out ships to certain tiers.

Let's not self deceive ourselves by getting confused by the different currencies in play.

37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Being pedantic here...but Bayard offered in the anniversary event is not actually free.

It costs you the resources you would have gotten if you spent the tokens on the other options.

Further, the tokens themselves aren't free...they are earned by having bought or ground out ships to certain tiers.

Acknowledging your admission of being pedantic, but realizing others might not perceive your angle:

we have to bear in mind that nothing in the game is free - everything costs grind time and some sort of resource or combination of resources.

It boils down to what is a worthwhile exchange.

43 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Let's not self deceive ourselves by getting confused by the different currencies in play.

And here is the critical point of evaluation: Any trading of a grindable (in-game resource) ship for a ship obtainable for grindable in-game resources is a net loss of grind time and resources. Just grind or spend excess resources for the lesser ship.

(exceptions can of course be justified (rationalized) for ships one has given up on and will not use.)

The “least lost” use would be in jettisoning “junk pile” ships to get ships that are available via cash only. (and doubloons, which are cash-buyable but also have modest grindability)** This is presuming that one prefers grinding or re-grinding in-game resources to bringing in external resources (money).

For my own admission, in my own looking at the offerings, I did not look at available ships enough to see if any offered were cash/doubloon only (beyond OP’s Tirpitz, which I already have), or if any of my loser ships are available to extricate from. Nor did I see any “wowzer gotta have it no matter what it costs” ships, either.

22 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Depends. If I trade in a T6 CV Béarne (that I never paid for) in for a T7 DD Blyskawiza paying 1800 dubs for the trade, would I be a sucker if I went for the trade in or if I didn't make use of the opportunity?

Guest Capt_of_Satisfaction

It depends on the situation.  I have Tirpitz and Bayard.  There's not a lot there for me, but I have considered trading my Asashio for Kaga or San Diego for Ops.  

If they'd let us stack them I could see letting go of ships I hate for something different, but if you're only getting 4000 dubs for say Vanguard, that doesn't get much and you end up having to buy more dubs.   

I really want me a Brisbane but I don't play a ton and I'm only back to 90K coal.  That sucker is over 250 :-)

On 8/16/2023 at 12:13 PM, Frostbow said:

Has anyone tried the Trade-In already? I see that I can trade my Salem for a Tirpitz, absolutely free; or for a Dalian, for around 1,600 Doubloons.

I want to ask if the game allows me to purchase the Salem again from the Armory, within 5 minutes from successful completion of the Trade-In, for the usual Coal.

image.thumb.png.bcaaa8168a504dadc3e5627a3a19d28e.png

Ok, so time for my Ultimate Analyst skill to come into play

danganronpa-despair.gif.1e8f682ac1f3573a9a85196de402a73a.gif

Just kidding. 😜

But for realsies, there is ONE trade I would consider. And that is a coal ship (that you can get again, like Salem for instance) for Bayard. Now why Bayard? This is why, for the upcoming Anniversary event:

In case you already have Bayard, you will instead receive a 100% discount coupon for Tier VIII ship from the above-mentioned list.

So basically long story short, at the cost of one coal ship that you can get back via coal, you can get both Bayard AND another Tier VIII ship. It's actually not a bad trade-off, all things considered. 🤔

Of course, this is all assuming you DON'T have Bayard....

Edited by Sailor_Moon

Just now, Sailor_Moon said:

Ok, so time for my Ultimate Analyst skill to come into play

danganronpa-despair.gif.1e8f682ac1f3573a9a85196de402a73a.gif

Just kidding. 😜

But for realsies, there is ONE trade I would consider. And that is a coal ship (that you can get again) for Bayard. Now why Bayard? This is why, for the upcoming Anniversary event:

In case you already have Bayard, you will instead receive a 100% discount coupon for Tier VIII ship from the above-mentioned list.

So basically long story short, at the cost of one coal ship that you can get back via coal, you can get both Bayard AND another Tier VIII ship. It's actually not a bad trade-off, all things considered. 🤔

Caveat Emptor...that coupon is only from the short list of tier 8s eligible. It is NOT for any tier 8 ship.

Siliwangi, Z-35, Fenyang, Ochakov, Loyang, Hampshire, Le Terrible, Tiger 59, Wichita, Gascogne, Irian, Saipan, Vanguard, Pyotr Bagration, Kidd, and Rochester.