Developer Bulletin 487: Buffs to the Pan Asian Light Cruisers + buffs to 3 premium ships

Grantwhy

19.10.2023 09:00 Balance changes

Balance Changes - Public Test 12.10

We're applying balance changes to the following ships based on an analysis of both their combat statistics as well as player feedback: Austin, ZF-6, Tashkent '39 as well as the Pan-Asian Cruisers. The changes will be applied on the Public Test for Update 12.10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

basically, Pan Asian tech tree Light Cruisers (tiers 5-10) get: small reload buff, +1km range & flatter firing arcs 👍

plus

Tier 10 Austin: Main Battery reload buff + Main Battery Reload Booster reload time buff

Tier 9 ZF-6: Main Battery reload buff + Main Battery turn time *BIG* buff

Tier 7 Tashkent '39: Torpedo reload time buff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These are some really really nice buffs tbh. The Jinan line weren't broken OP, I'd say they weren't even great. They were good in certain scenarios so I'm happy they'll be able to do more in a normal match. Also the buffs to Austin will mean she's not as anemic while MBRB is off cooldown and well ZF-6 will be even better and Tashcan '39 will be easier to play. All round really nice buffs from WG, great to see!

• Like 1

I think I either have or am grinding for all of the affected ships.
The buffs are welcome news, in my opinion.
Small buffs, but welcome ones.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a note, these are the first balance changes for EU/NA/ASIA since we have seen a clear distinction between WoWS and Mir Korablyi.

The changes to Austin, ZF-6, Tash 39, seem logical. Small buffs to ships that weren't great performers.

The changes to Pan-Asians will help the line a lot. I've been playing Chunky quite a bit recently, and it's a good ship in need of something extra.

Interestingly enough, the change to Chumphon will make it the longest ranged Atlanta class ship in the game. And the flatter ballistics is something I'm looking forward to.

PS: The change to Rahmat will make Dido a pointless and inferior ship.

Edited by Aragathor
  • Like 1

Austin and Tashkent 39, I think these are reasonable buffs to make them perform slightly more consistently now. Austin has never been seen as strong but it won't be so helpless without its MBRB now (which also comes back marginally faster). T39 has been a ship of extremes, but in the end a torpboat so the reload buff is always welcome.

ZF-6 is, in my opinion, one of the better dockyard ships, always thought it to be above average. These buffs are quite substantial, they may end up making her really good but I doubt she will approach Kitakaze/Mogador levels of good, of course. But they certainly will renew interest in what might become a solid gunboat at T9. Haven't seen one (and for that matter, T39) in a while...

PACLs receive a buff that is a nice quality of life change, I don't think it will heavily change how they are played, but will definitely make playing them easier. In the end they still will do best receiving and stalling pushes, but it's good to see that the potential for picking fights against enemy ships will be less restrictive, namely against destroyers, and make shots easier to land at range. I wonder how far the buff will go though, I'd say it would improve to slightly slower than Colbert's. 

Overall a good day and I look forward to see these in the game soon.

(On a side note, really weird to see floaty ballistics on Harbin, a ship with the Soviet 130mms, the price we pay for line consistency.)

• Like 3

It took quite a while for WG to admit the ballistics of the PA cruisers were in need of a buff. Now the question is, how flat will the arcs become?

42 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

It took quite a while for WG to admit the ballistics of the PA cruisers were in need of a buff. Now the question is, how flat will the arcs become?

I saw some images of the proposed changes of shell arcs. The changes aren't that amazing and won't really make a difference at all, it's quite disappointing to be fair.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

I saw some images of the proposed changes of shell arcs. The changes aren't that amazing and won't really make a difference at all, it's quite disappointing to be fair.

Oh well... 😩

I was hoping for a decent improvement, perhaps arcs similar to San Diego's.

4 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Oh well... 😩

I was hoping for a decent improvement, perhaps arcs similar to San Diego's.

They're a tiny bit worse to Colbert now, I'm not sure how Colberts arcs fare compared to San Diegos but it's really not much of a change which is really unfortunate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Aragathor said:

PS: The change to Rahmat will make Dido a pointless and inferior ship.

There's still one thing Dido can do that Rahmat can't, and that's to torpedo DDs.

• Like 2

ZF's one can sure make her more comfortable, currently if one swerves the ship during dogfights the turrets cannot keep up and lose a lot of dpm if the ship is activating mbrb. Sometimes I am forced to minimize movement to make sure enemy DD is dead in 15 seconds

• Like 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:50 PM, BOBTHEBALL said:

These are some really really nice buffs tbh. The Jinan line weren't broken OP, I'd say they weren't even great. They were good in certain scenarios so I'm happy they'll be able to do more in a normal match. Also the buffs to Austin will mean she's not as anemic while MBRB is off cooldown and well ZF-6 will be even better and Tashcan '39 will be easier to play. All round really nice buffs from WG, great to see!

7.5s reload on any DD caliber weapon is still way too high MRB or not. It would be nice if Austin and Salem received the Burst fire mode as an alternative.

Regarding the Pan-Asian CL line, the with the exception of Champion, the ballistics on none of the ships were a problem. The problem of Pan-Asian CLs is their preposterous long reload and the absence of radar, or any smoke/stealth mitigation tool. These ships are and will continue to be food for DDs. Pan-Asian CLs need at least the Pan-American CL radar, with hydro sharing the slot. Maybe a special long duration 8.5km 100 second radar starting with t9; since these ships can't torp DDs or subs at any depth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 10/19/2023 at 1:21 AM, Aragathor said:

The change to Rahmat will make Dido a pointless and inferior ship

Dido is a RN ship and uses RN captains and consumables. I believe she has hydro, RN smokes and torpedoes that can hit DDs with the RN single fire characteristic.

On 10/19/2023 at 8:22 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

There's still one thing Dido can do that Rahmat can't, and that's to torpedo DDs.

Actually three, technically five:

1) torpedo DDs

2) Screen against Torpedoes

3) Escape Torpedoes in smoke (RN) CL acceleration.

4) open water artillery juke.

5) RN DD smokes (more availability & mobility)

Even with Changes, Dido is the more friendly ship.

Edited by Crokodone
No hydro
  • Like 1

A good video explaining the plusses and minuses. Whether you like him or not, his analysis is always good. Sadly this is only for Russia!!!

Edited by Monalie477

Me when I see incoming balance changes for ships like ZF-6 (???) but California isn't on the list yet again:

spacer.png

Wargaming devs are just trolling me at this point, I swear.

Edited by Sailor_Moon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Crokodone said:

Actually three, technically five:

1) Hydro DDs.

2) torpedo DDs

3) Screen against Torpedoes

4) Spot Torpedoes in smoke

5) Escape Torpedoes in smoke (RN) CL acceleration.

Even with Changes, Dido is the more friendly ship.

Uhm? Dido doesn't have hydro...

35 minutes ago, tocqueville8 said:

Uhm? Dido doesn't have hydro...

... I'm a player not a Saint; a human being not a robot.

Edited by Crokodone

On 10/18/2023 at 7:43 PM, Grantwhy said:

basically, Pan Asian tech tree Light Cruisers (tiers 5-10) get: small reload buff, +1km range & flatter firing arcs 👍

plus

Tier 10 Austin: Main Battery reload buff + Main Battery Reload Booster reload time buff

Tier 9 ZF-6: Main Battery reload buff + Main Battery turn time *BIG* buff

Tier 7 Tashkent '39: Torpedo reload time buff

I'm happy to see this as the Chumphon grind was BRUTAL due to it's abysmally low rate of fire compared to the Atlanta despite being the same class of ship. The Harbin is a bit better and these buffs will make her even better.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CFagan_1987 said:

I'm happy to see this as the Chumphon grind was BRUTAL due to it's abysmally low rate of fire compared to the Atlanta despite being the same class of ship. The Harbin is a bit better and these buffs will make her even better.

Imo, Harbin was the best ship in the line do it's Soviet guns over American ones of most of the line; aside the T10, which lacked any CL tools of any kinds.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crokodone said:

The problem of Pan-Asian CLs is their preposterous long reload and the absence of radar, or any smoke/stealth mitigation tool. 

Pan Asian CLs have smoke, uh have you even played the ships before? It's like the defining factor of getting damage in them. 

1. Torps hit something, enemy DCPs
2. Open water for a split second so they shoot you
3. Smoke up and farm them down

Pan Asian CLs have access to Pan Asian smokes which are one of the best types of smoke screens in-game. I'd advise you play the line a bit before commenting on them.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Sailor_Moon said:

Me when I see incoming balance changes for ships like ZF-6 (???) but California isn't on the list yet again:

spacer.png

Wargaming devs are just trolling me at this point, I swear.

We know WG will touch California right before they put her in an event for something. Maybe you'll get lucky next 4th of July.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Pan Asian CLs have smoke, uh have you even played the ships before? It's like the defining factor of getting damage in them. 

1. Torps hit something, enemy DCPs
2. Open water for a split second so they shoot you
3. Smoke up and farm them down

Pan Asian CLs have access to Pan Asian smokes which are one of the best types of smoke screens in-game. I'd advise you play the line a bit before commenting on them.

You're grossly mistaken. Pan-Asian CLs have unique smokes, not that of their DD counterparts. In addition, dw torpedoes do not guarantee floods and like most CLs, any part of your ship technically guarantees citadels. Furthermore, if nobody is spotting them, you not farming anything in smokes.

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Crokodone said:

You're grossly mistaken. Pan-Asian CLs have unique smokes, not that of their DD counterparts. In addition, dw torpedoes do not guarantee floods and like most CLs, any part of your ship technically guarantees citadels. Furthermore, if nobody is spotting them, you not farming anything in smokes.

I went in-game and checked, the only difference between the two smokes is that Pan Asian CLs have a 10s longer cooldown time. So I am not "grossly mistaken". Also on Jinan the tier 10 Pan Asian CL it has the 5th best flooding chance of all tier 10 ships, so what do you mean "it doesn't guarantee floods?". It seems you again don't really know what you're talking about, I'd advise you to grind the line and watch some videos on the Pan Asian CLs as they're clearly aren't what you think they are.

• Bored 1