Jump to content

Dear Wedgie howz I'm gonna finish the personal challenges?


Andrewbassg

Recommended Posts

Also, one of the big bonusses of this forum is that there is no more WG, so starting a topic with "Dear wedgie" has become pleasantly pointless.

As one of my co-workers used to say: If you don't have it in your head, you gotta have it in your feet.

It's a saying that means that if you keep forgetting things, you will have to run more to fetch them one after another.

It kind of applies to the game, too. If you cannot get results easily, you gotta play more. At least WG hasn't limited our attempts, so even the worst players should be able to do a lot of challenges, if only they commit themselves. Be persistent!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm having a less than stellar time completing stage 8 of the Dockyard ... I'm trying to get 35000 BXP in my GK, and it seems that every time I spawn in there's a etc_swear_small.gif.7532597dd9509251bf454af192512822.gifing Kleber or Marceau spawned right in front of me. End result .. a couple of hundred BXP if I'm lucky.

I find myself wondering if the marked decrease in XP earnings in COOP was a factor in closing the old forums, so we couldn't write any more "Dear Wedgie ... what the hell???" posts.

 

Edited by SunkCostFallacy
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Use the ships (with their respective researchable branches, of course) that are the most competitive and/or you are most familiar with and confident that you can get good results. And play a lot during the event.

Also it is said that the longer a Brawls battle lasts, the higher XP earning will be.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Do you need to finish the personal challenges?

There is no finishing. Whatever challenge you clear, there is a higher threshold already waiting for you to be cleared. The challenges are much like some arcade game that never stops but just makes the enemies harder and faster with every iteration. You will run out of pocket money, before the game runs out of iterations.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

There is no finishing. Whatever challenge you clear, there is a higher threshold already waiting for you to be cleared. The challenges are much like some arcade game that never stops but just makes the enemies harder and faster with every iteration. You will run out of pocket money, before the game runs out of iterations.

Ah yes...

...so, we don't need to try to finish.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Ah yes...

...so, we don't need to try to finish.

It's like at work, where they expect you to do the work of 12 hours in 8 hours, just so you never get a rest and finally do the work of 9 hours. If you don't finish, you remain occupied. if you're occupied, it's hard to take a moment and question your motives.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

End result .. a couple of hundred BXP if I'm lucky.

If that's all you're getting, even with a Kleber in front of you, you're not playing it right. 

I finished the entire Dockyard last weekend, almost all in co-op, and I wasn't even trying for a good deal of it. I picked out battleships and cruisers as my BXP grinders and played them to the exclusion of everything else, alternating between them so that their BXP totals were racing each other to the finish neck and neck. That way I wasn't stuck doing a grind in the same ship over and over again and getting fatigued, frustrated and burned out.

IMHO the reasonable expectation for this event is that the player with a broad-based fleet should be able to get enough personal challenges done to walk away with the permaskin and the assigned economic bonus for the Yumihari. Trying for any more than that is going to need some real determination, so set your expectations accordingly.

 

I learned the hard way back in 2017 that having a narrowly-focused fleet can easily torpedo your chances to be able to finish an event, so I decided I was going to drive everything. This attitude has turned out to be a godsend. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I learned the hard way back in 2017 that having a narrowly-focused fleet can easily torpedo your chances to be able to finish an event, so I decided I was going to drive everything. This attitude has turned out to be a godsend. 

One of the good ways WG uses behavioral psychology in their mission and game designs...

😄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:
56 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I learned the hard way back in 2017 that having a narrowly-focused fleet can easily torpedo your chances to be able to finish an event, so I decided I was going to drive everything. This attitude has turned out to be a godsend. 

One of the good ways WG uses behavioral psychology in their mission and game designs...

😄

Personally, I feel that having a large and diverse fleet in my Port is something that works well with the "right tool for the job" concept.
With a large "tool box", I can sortie with an appropriate ship for the task or batch of tasks from one or more missions being worked simultaneously.
 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Personally, I feel that having a large and diverse fleet in my Port is something that works well with the "right tool for the job" concept.
With a large "tool box", I can sortie with an appropriate ship for the task or batch of tasks from one or more missions being worked simultaneously.
 

Indeed.

I find that the varied fleet also helps me to have more fun.

I have a bunch of different memes I can use in game to enjoy.

Feeling like sniping CVs? Pobeda.

Feeling like annoying DDs? Ark Royal, Midway, Audacious

Feeling like providing air defense? Bearn, Dutch cruisers

Feeling like battleship tanking? FDG

Feeling like Battleship flanking? Iowa

Feeling like zooming around in a DD? Russian DDs...

Etc. Etc. Etc.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Personally, I feel that having a large and diverse fleet in my Port is something that works well with the "right tool for the job" concept.
With a large "tool box", I can sortie with an appropriate ship for the task or batch of tasks from one or more missions being worked simultaneously.

A neat side effect of the Dockyard was watching whom was playing what ship....   Assuming, many players are better than I am, I pay attention to which ships are earning the most or are best suited to create value.

The other night, we had a player whom wanted to division and the brought a TT Asian DD I never encountered and guess what, in Aegis, that DD was a monster !  So, I researched and then purchased that TT line to Tier 8 and.........wow - almost a Fabuki at tier 8 !!  300K matches !!!

So, all that everyone above has pointed out about the "right tools at the right time" is "very valuable..."  

Why don't we create a sub-folder and actually post those:  Right Tools and where they are best used.  here's an example:

Aegis   -   Tier 6 -  IJN  - Fabuki / Tier 7 - [add a country]  -  [add a ship]  /  Tier 8  -  Asian  -  Hsienyang

Something like that.  What works best for you and adding why really could help.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Asym said:

Why don't we create a sub-folder and actually post those:  Right Tools and where they are best used. 

Because everyone experiences ships differently. Lightninger used to post vids of people absolutely wrecking face in Aegis with Anshan or Gnevny, but looking at them I knew I could never pull that off. Lion is one of those ships which should be great, but in my hands has shown only occasional flashes of brilliance among a long trail of tears and misery. Kagero has one of my worst (random) winrates, but Monarch - MONARCH, OF ALL SHIPS - one of the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I'm having a less than stellar time completing stage 8 of the Dockyard ... I'm trying to get 35000 BXP in my GK, and it seems that every time I spawn in there's a etc_swear_small.gif.7532597dd9509251bf454af192512822.gifing Kleber or Marceau spawned right in front of me. End result .. a couple of hundred BXP if I'm lucky.

I find myself wondering if the marked decrease in XP earnings in COOP was a factor in closing the old forums, so we couldn't write any more "Dear Wedgie ... what the hell???" posts.

 

Absolutely this!!

Since the official forum closed I've been saying this.

Missions are stupid - I've never had a problem finishing dockyard grinds (not to the end as I don't pay bugger all to this game),but this time I've got no chance.

Base XP seems to be getting less and less (yes I'm a coop main).

No one to complain to (I'd rather cut my baby maker off with rusty shears than use Discord) - I watch the official stream every week and chuckle how they completely ignore and will not answer any sort of complaints posted in chat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Because everyone experiences ships differently. Lightninger used to post vids of people absolutely wrecking face in Aegis with Anshan or Gnevny, but looking at them I knew I could never pull that off. Lion is one of those ships which should be great, but in my hands has shown only occasional flashes of brilliance among a long trail of tears and misery. Kagero has one of my worst (random) winrates, but Monarch - MONARCH, OF ALL SHIPS - one of the best. 

Having something we grow, with all of the experiences we have, is a far better tool than no tool at all.  We could add links to videos in that folder as a master reference.

I've never seen that video you described but, in a Fabuki I've had 300K matches all day long in Aegis.....  And, many new players will only have TT ships for a while. 

So, let's combine experiences and create a Cook Book for Operations......  Including links to videos; links to clans that host RO nights and take in strays; RO hacks for new players that bring them up to speed for each RO; and, CPT skills and Flag recommendations....  All of that "stuff" it took us 5 or more years to figure out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Asym said:

What works best for you and adding why really could help.

Main-gun hit missions (in which Cruisers are allowed to participate).
My "go to" ships are the Atlanta, the Chumphon and lately the Tokachi has been joining-in.

Scoring 100 to 150+ main battery hits while playing Co-op games is acceptable performance, as far as I am concerned.

So, ships with a fast main-gun reload and enough HP to take a few incidental hits and some torpedoes for brawling appeal to me.
I'm not saying these are the only qualifying ships.  I'm sure there are others that qualify, but just don't have their names on the tip of my tongue.
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, HMS_Kilinowski said:

There is no finishing. Whatever challenge you clear, there is a higher threshold already waiting for you to be cleared. The challenges are much like some arcade game that never stops but just makes the enemies harder and faster with every iteration. You will run out of pocket money, before the game runs out of iterations.

Ah... so the personal challenges are like the school lunch...

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.