USS Yorktown spotted

hipcanuck

As the title says.....its been seen!

While my wallet has been firmly closed for a couple of years now and I deeply regret not purchasing Enterprise, this might just be the thing to buy for me.

shot-23.10.14_20.02.47-0782.jpg

9 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

While my wallet has been firmly closed for a couple of years now and I deeply regret not purchasing Enterprise, this might just be the thing to buy for me.

You do realize it is going to be a tech tree ship?

20 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

You do realize it is going to be a tech tree ship?

Please no.....

Not another CV line.....or are they going to shoehorn it into the abomination of the support line?

2 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

Please no.....

Not another CV line.....or are they going to shoehorn it into the abomination of the support line?

It's going to be a support line...but it will have Bearn like fighters.

20 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

Please no.....

It will be the T8 in the new US CV support line coming soon. This was shown all the way back when they removed odd tier CV's in update 0.8.0. They told us what the 2nd lines would be for US and IJN when the lines eventually came back (they just never said as Support CV's).

US:

• T6 - Independence
  • T8 - Yorktown
  • T10 - Essex

* - Bogue is the odd man out and no word has been said of it coming back in some other capacity. It "could" in theory appear as a T6 Premium similar to Bearn where it is fighter focused in an ohmage to the old RTS days when Bogue was a beast at deplaning the enemy CV. (it is incredibly slow to be at T6 but then again so is Bearn and it works). But as of now Bogue is gone.

IJN:

• Zuiho
  • Hiryu
  • Taiho

3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It will be the T8 in the new US CV support line coming soon. This was shown all the way back when they removed odd tier CV's in update 0.8.0. They told us what the 2nd lines would be for US and IJN when the lines eventually came back (they just never said as Support CV's).

US:

• T6 - Independence
  • T8 - Yorktown
  • T10 - Essex

* - Bogue is the odd man out and no word has been said of it coming back in some other capacity. It "could" in theory appear as a T6 Premium similar to Bearn where it is fighter focused in an ohmage to the old RTS days when Bogue was a beast at deplaning the enemy CV. (it is incredibly slow to be at T6 but then again so is Bearn and it works). But as of now Bogue is gone.

IJN:

• Zuiho
  • Hiryu
  • Taiho

Bummer its not a Premium ship. Too bad they didnt use Wasp in the line and put Yorktown as a Premium. I wonder if we will ever see Akagi or Shinano again.

1 hour ago, hipcanuck said:

Bummer its not a Premium ship. Too bad they didnt use Wasp in the line and put Yorktown as a Premium. I wonder if we will ever see Akagi or Shinano again.

Wasp is hard to justify at tier VIII, and Yorktown is a poor choice for a premium ship since we already have Enterprise and Hornet as tier VIII premium ships. In fact, I always found it extremely odd that WG skipped over the Yorktown-class entirely when they implemented the original pre-rework US CV line.

IMO Wasp should have been in this tech tree line, just at tier VI: Wasp -> Yorktown -> Essex.

Edited by Nevermore135

10 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Wasp is hard to justify at tier VIII, and Yorktown is a poor choice for a premium ship since we already have Enterprise and Hornet as tier VIII premium ships. In fact, I always found it extremely odd that WG skipped over the Yorktown-class entirely when they implemented the original pre-rework US CV line.

IMO Wasp should have been in this tech tree line, just at tier VI: Wasp -> Yorktown -> Essex.

The only reason I would put Yorktown as a Prem is to be with her sisters and the importance of her in WW2. Enterprise, its been heavily nerfed I believe, should be brought back for resale as its no longer stupidly OP.

Its hard to class US CV's since all the main fleet carriers had 80+ aircraft, perhaps Wasp would be a T6 based on its older planes?

45 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

The only reason I would put Yorktown as a Prem is to be with her sisters and the importance of her in WW2.

That’s why we should have one of the ships in the tech tree. It’s extremely odd that Yorktown wasn’t included in the OG US CV line when the game launched. She should have been tier VII alongside her Treaty-era counterpart Hiryu. Instead the much less capable Ranger was included at tier VII (a tier she was never suited for).

Edited by Nevermore135

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

That’s why we should have one of the ships in the tech tree. It’s extremely odd that Yorktown wasn’t included in the OG US CV line when the game launched. She should have been tier VII alongside her Treaty-era counterpart Hiryu. Instead the much less capable Ranger was included at tier VII (a tier she was never suited for).

Lexington (CV2) deserves its spot in the tech tree too and there are only so many spots.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Lexington (CV2) deserves its spot in the tech tree too and there are only so many spots.

I don’t understand what you are implying here. I never suggested Yorktown should have replaced Lexington.

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

It’s extremely odd that Yorktown wasn’t included in the OG US CV line when the game launched. She should have been tier VII alongside her Treaty-era counterpart Hiryu.

Edited by Nevermore135

9 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I don’t understand what you are implying here. I never suggested Yorktown should have replaced Lexington.

Pointing out there are only so many slots and many worthy ships.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Pointing out there are only so many slots and many worthy ships.

There were plenty of slots in the original CV implementation to not leave any notable ships out, it’s just that the devs had a very odd selection criteria for the US ships they did include. Ranger was overtiered at tier VII and there was no reason one of the lower tier ships couldn’t have been dropped to make room for Yorktown at tier VII (Independence and Bogue were both outliers and neither really fit). Ranger could have even been a good tier VI premium under the old system, as she wasn’t equipped to field torpedo bombers until 1942.

3 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

There were plenty of slots in the original CV implementation to not leave any notable ships out, it’s just that the devs had a very odd selection criteria for the US ships they did include. Ranger was overtiered at tier VII and there was no reason one of the lower tier ships couldn’t have been dropped to make room for Yorktown at tier VII (Independence and Bogue were both outliers and neither really fit). Ranger could have even been a good tier VI premium under the old system, as she wasn’t equipped to field torpedo bombers until 1942.

It's WG. Nuff said.

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

It's WG. Nuff said.

Oh man...the nightmares of trying to get WG to understand that the planes were integral parts of the carriers history and should be properly represented...

Things like having Swordfish instead of Albacores...having the actual navalized German planes instead of the silly ones we currently have...the absolute insanity of the USN and IJN plane progression...

Ugh.

I long ago recognized that WG knew very little about the history of naval aviation and finding someone who was willing to listen to the knowledgeable community would be key.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 6:24 AM, hipcanuck said:

The only reason I would put Yorktown as a Prem is to be with her sisters and the importance of her in WW2. Enterprise, its been heavily nerfed I believe, should be brought back for resale as its no longer stupidly OP.

Its hard to class US CV's since all the main fleet carriers had 80+ aircraft, perhaps Wasp would be a T6 based on its older planes?

Enterprise has never been "heavily nerfed" yes it has recieved nerfs as an effect from over all system changes such as rocket planes firing their machine guns but it's key features haven't been changed since it's released (the fact that it drops 6 AP bombs and has fighter squads double the amount of fighters a T8 CV recieves and has a action raidus a bit bigger than T10 CVs. also rediculous plane regen).

On 10/15/2023 at 3:09 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

US:

• T6 - Independence
  • T8 - Yorktown
  • T10 - Essex

IJN:

• Zuiho
  • Hiryu
  • Taiho

So it has a minefield?

12 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

So it has a minefield?

WG flipped the script from the Concealed Maneuvers testing. US CVs are getting smokescreens.

This isn’t surprising considering the issues with air dropped mines that came up during the test as well as the release schedule (US CVs making sense to release first given we are in the midst of an IJN event at the moment). The big question will be if the IJN CVs are getting mines or if WG will come up with some other gimmick.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

So it has a minefield?

Swapped with smoke for the better, the Essex has the problem the US SUS (see below for why this nickname) has but worse. The 25mm deck armor made it a floating pinata the moment it was spotted.

USS united states nickname was given as a joke due to bringing one into battle during its initial release usually ended with you getting devstruck from accross the map by any player with a braincell in a long range BB since your deck armror was below the current 38mm (it was either 30 or 32mm, don't remember), not to mention that any CV could just run up and strike you for guarentee damage even with the 38mm.

• Like 1

Minefield is still very weak. I don't see how they can balance it from survivable to killing using the current drop pattern. It needs to drift instead of being static.

10 minutes ago, AkiraKurai said:

USS united states nickname was given as a joke due to bringing one into battle during its initial release usually ended with you getting devstruck from accross the map by any player with a braincell in a long range BB since your deck armror was below the current 38mm (it was either 30 or 32mm, don't remember), not to mention that any CV could just run up and strike you for guarentee damage even with the 38mm.

Nope - US had the same 25mm deck as Essex does currently. That makes it even worse that the latter has lasted this long in development without a buff.

40 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

So it has a minefield?

As others have said WG dropped mines (no pun intended) in favor of smoke for the US Support CV's. I assume because they saw how asinine and busted they were but it's WG we are speaking of so? The question now is are they testing it more and he IJN Support CV's will get the mines or is it DOA? Hopefully DOA.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

43 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

As others have said WG dropped mines in favor of smoke for the US Support CV's. I assume because they saw how asinine and busted they were but it's WG we are speaking of so? The question now is are the testing it more and he IJN Support CV's will get the mines or is it DOA? Hopefully DOA.

Mines wern't OP imo, they couldn't outright kill someone, which matters in randoms, but can outright deadlock a cap in competetive modes such as CB as it's extremly impractical to send a ship into the cap to get rid of the mines and getting in range of a minefield to drop DC strikes was also risky as you would need to park several ships near the cap in order to clear the minefield out.

Never understood the drop a minefield ontop of a ship myth, minefields take 30 seconds to arm and have less than a 3km radius action zone, one can easily sail out of the minefield if its dropped ontop of you or can be avoided as you can see a minefield zone from at least 2 kms out, if you sail into a minefield for no reason but to just sail in a straight line you deserve it as it is the equivalent to sailing in a straight line when you see a shimakaze turn out 5kms away.

29 minutes ago, AkiraKurai said:

Mines wern't OP imo, they couldn't outright kill someone, which matters in randoms, but can outright deadlock a cap in competetive modes such as CB as it's extremly impractical to send a ship into the cap to get rid of the mines and getting in range of a minefield to drop DC strikes was also risky as you would need to park several ships near the cap in order to clear the minefield out.

Never understood the drop a minefield ontop of a ship myth, minefields take 30 seconds to arm and have less than a 3km radius action zone, one can easily sail out of the minefield if its dropped ontop of you or can be avoided as you can see a minefield zone from at least 2 kms out, if you sail into a minefield for no reason but to just sail in a straight line you deserve it as it is the equivalent to sailing in a straight line when you see a shimakaze turn out 5kms away.

It was an absolutely horrible idea and mechanic for the game.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:12 PM, hipcanuck said:

She has a nice silhouette!

🙂