What’s your main?

Type_93

Sitting here at the airport being bored I figured a good topic would be to ask DevStrike what ship do you guys main? Is it one ship? Maybe you play a whole class very well? Are you one of those who can play any class well and dont have one ship with more games than your others?

For me, I started way back in the open beta with the Gremmy. Loved that little boat, but really had no idea of how to play effectively. Then I started up the IJN line. Man what a blast. This is the class I really learned how to the game with. The Shimakaze is a boat that I just understand very well. Learning her ins and completely helped me to play other DDs very well. Over the years I learned to play cruisers well mostly for clan battles, but DDs will always be my mains. 
How did you guys come to love your mains?

• Like 1

I started so that I could play USN RTS air support CV.

As such, I enjoy CVs the most...though I've actually played battleships in the most random battles...

I play DDs well as well...though I am still struggling to feel good at cruisers.

I haven't spent enough time with subs yet to know what I am doing.

I have 3 of the 5 CV lines researched to tier 10...and no other tech tree line all the way out to tier 10...if that gives you an idea of 'main'.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I started so that I could play USN RTS air support CV.

As such, I enjoy CVs the most...though I've actually played battleships in the most random battles...

I play DDs well as well...though I am still struggling to feel good at cruisers.

I haven't spent enough time with subs yet to know what I am doing.

I have 3 of the 5 CV lines researched to tier 10...and no other tech tree line all the way out to tier 10...if that gives you an idea of 'main'.

I miss RTS CVs 

Started with DDs, then CVs, to cruisers, BBs, and then back to cruisers and DDs.  Play DDs pretty much most of the time and cruisers to fill in the gaps in any division.  Never stepped into a sub and very rare to play CVs any longer.

• Like 2

Started out in open beta as a US main, then quickly turned into a BB and then NC main. I still played some cruisers, but I was mostly playing NC. After the first CB season, I started working my way up through Iowa to Monty as well as branching out into a couple other BB lines. And then by the end of the second season I had swapped over to being a cruiser main.

I used to play a lot of tanking/anchor cruisers, especially in CBs (hence why my Stalingrad has well over 3 million xp exclusively from CBs), but was moving a bit more into open water cruisers. I still primarily played BBs in ranked though.

Now I tend to enjoy kiting/open water/flanking cruisers more than bow tanking ones. Nevsky, Venezia, etc. But then I also love things like the high tier South American cruisers that need careful aggressiveness to shine.

Over the last couple years I’ve started playing destroyers a lot more, but I’m still a cruiser main first. I tend to prefer gunboats/hybrids/DD hunters more than torpboats, though. 

• Like 2

I’m a BB main, always have been, will probably continue to be. I started in the IJN tree and is my most played nation to date, with only 1 ship in my top 10 most-played that isn’t Japanese. 

As to the shear scale of my bias, I have 343 games in Yamato alone, which is more than every game I’ve played in all British ships, ever (342 games for that nation). The next 2 ships are Amagi and Izumo, in that order. Then comes (iirc) Myoko and Mogami (the Japanese heavy cruiser line is my go-to reset line because I just jive with them so well), Hakuryu, Ibuki, Shchors (I love her; so fun), and then Aoba and Furutaka. The next 5 I’m fuzzy on, but I remember Lexington, Nagato, the old Ryujo (I played the hell out of her back in the old RTS days) and I can’t remember the rest. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, That WoT Player said:

As to the shear scale of my bias, I have 343 games in Yamato alone

I know what ya mean. IMG_4259.thumb.jpeg.c5132b7bbe4cadd8ebb3f878cd988af0.jpeg

DD main, with an emphasis on sneaky bar-stewards, or at least I used to be: something like three-quarters of my Random battles were in DDs when I gave up the mode. Still generally focus on DDs when playing PvP (which usually means Ranked these days).

Since moving to PvE, I mostly play torp cruisers, with IJN, and - more recently - the PanAm and Spanish being favourites...

Edited by Verblonde
  • Like 2

Been a DD Main since 2015 and Shima was my first T10. Since then its been most DDs and cruisers until this last year when I gone more towards Subs. Just too much crap you need to deal with playing DDs these days and WG just keeps adding BS that craps the most on DDs then any other class.

Playing Subs is pretty hassel free and you even get a stoopid crutch of a skill that tells you if any hydro, radar, submarine surveillance is nearby, and you can spot planes under water but they cant spot you. So pretty much 90 % of the BS goes away.

I started out loving DDs, but eventually switched over to CAs/CLs...doesn't mean I'm great with cruisers, just really like playing them.  Mogami and Mainz are two of my favorites.

• Like 2

Cruiser make more sense in a PVE world. DDs are my first love but WG doesn't like them any more. CVs are OK, Battleships are just meh in PVE - not fast enough, not enough direct fire, and there are better things to do .

• Like 1

Cruiser main, pretty much from the get go. With some (very) light forays into dd's and BB's. No subs, some Cv's but only in ops.

As specifics.......RN CL's used to be my main source of fun. Looked up and I have like 16.7 mil Xp on the line on Eu alone ( go to reset line)A48E2DD6-327E-4E69-B995-CD0955AA6217.gif.  Neptune used to be the fav.

Ships......varies. Nevsky is the go to for high tier randoms. Mainz for T8 ranked . Currently experimenting with Sejong in ranked. 🙂  Otherwise Agir, Mogami, Ibuki, the higher tier dutch ones...all got played. Not a fan of USN CA's, yet. Baguette's ditto, except Colbert. 

3 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Now I tend to enjoy kiting/open water/flanking cruisers

This is the way.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 3

German Main. That’s changing, I’m starting to play more IJN and RN ships, but Germany is my favorite. 

Based on my experience, I think I like open water CAs the most. CLs are too explody, and BBs are too cumbersome. Might have to try BCs sometime. 

I originally thought I would like Battleships, since the long reload gives you time to look around.  Nope, too boring for me, so I played mostly cruisers for a while.  I just did not understand how to play Destroyers until I got Mutsuki, which really clicked for me.  She is now my most-played ship, and I grew to love certain other IJN torp-DDs as well.  Kagero and Yugumo are my next-most-played ships.

I did enjoy the RTS carriers, though I only got up to Tier VI in both USN and IJN lines before the CV rework.  I do not like playing the rework carriers.

What's your main? So many ways to answer....

_________________________________________________________________________________

Mode:

That would be Co-op @ 42,077 games played vs just 1458 Randoms (I have never played any game mode but Co-op and Randoms in WOWS). Has been Co-op from day 1 frankly. I have always been a PVE guy at heart. Just have never cared for PVP games with how toxic people get over a game and man is WOWS PVP toxic. Co-op just fits with my preferred atmosphere if you will (although tbh it has become pretty toxic the last couple years too) but even more so my preferred playstyle = brawl and aggressive.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Ship Class:

That would be BB's both in Co-op and in Randoms. I basically only play BB's in Randoms but in Co-op I play BB, Cruisers, DD's, and CV's (again won't touch Subs) and have thousands of games in each class. But, far and away, BB's are my most played class in both Co-op and Randoms.

• Co-op = BB's @ 18,084 games (Cruiser = 14,062 / DD = 6808 / CV = 3123)
  • Randoms = BB's 1307 games (Cruiser = 151)

__________________________________________________________________________________

Specific Ship:

I play a whole bunch of ships. I have 533 ships in port and while I obviously don't play them all, all the time, I do play a wide assortment of them. I do have some that get played more though.

Co-op:

• BB = Missouri @ 994 games is my most played BB in Co-op (and overall in game). That is mainly due to it being a go to ship for credit farming for missions (I have an OG Missouri). I really like the ship but it isn't my most played for that reason. My 2nd most played Co-op BB (and overall in game) is probably my favorite BB for Co-op = Montana @ 893 games. 
  • Cruiser = Hindenburg @ 544 games. It is the ideal Co-op Cruiser.
  • DD = Benham @ 484 games. Smoke + lots of fast reloading torps = rules Co-op.
  • CV = FDR @ 356 games. Good alpha strike + planes that can take attacking blobs of ships.
  • Sub = won't play

Randoms:

• BB = Giulio Cesare @ 392 games (61.48% WR). I played this a LOT when I 1st started playing Randoms again and as I was learning how to improve. I don't play it as much anymore but still do now and then as I prefer lower tiers to high tier. I would say my actual go to Randoms BB now is KGV @ 141 games (60.48% WR). T7 is still more on the aggressive side (if you aren't bottom tier with a bunch of T9's and then it gets passive) and I don't feel like a seal clubber.
  • Cruisers = no go to/preferred ship
  • DD = never played
  • CV = never played
  • Sub = won't play

Nation:

Based on the games played in each for Co-op I seem to favor US ships at 12,198 total games played. German, British, Japanese, French, and Russian all have thousands of games in each. The rest have hundreds or thousands (Spain is new so still under 100). As said somewhere above I play most everything not a Sub. I have every line in game done to T10 and most Premiums so I play them all.

In Randoms I really don't have a favorite nation. Italy has the most games played but that is due to Giulio Cesare (it is the only Italian ship played). It's kind of spread out really.

Tier:

For Co-op it is T10 in a walk away. I predominantly play there (14,119 games). In Randoms, again because of all the Giulio Cesare games, it comes up as T5 but these days it is really T7 and T8.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1

I have been a BB main forever but I am trying to play more cruiser now and then I hope DDs. I play almost all randoms so the thought of getting abused for bad play while I learn a new ship class has held me back.

2 hours ago, clammboy said:

I have been a BB main forever but I am trying to play more cruiser now and then I hope DDs. I play almost all randoms so the thought of getting abused for bad play while I learn a new ship class has held me back.

People abusing you for bad play are displaying their own issues. Ignore them.

People offering you good advice on how to get better? Listen to them.

Be sure to grind your captains manually, don't take shortcuts with freeXP your first time up a class line. Spend your time at lower tiers LEARNING and gaining experience.

Resist the urge to just buy your way to top tier. There is nothing special about tier 10 or 11. It's the same game there.

• Thanks 1

I started playing this game to get and play Nagato and NC (more Nagato), and I ended up playing a lot of both. But my main ended up being Yamato cause...when your divmates want to play T10, Yamato is just such a lazy way to play and pretty powerful.

And I ended up maining BBs in general, just cause it's relaxing and usually also the role a lot of divmates didn't want due them disliking BB RNG Slot Machine Gameplay.

2 hours ago, clammboy said:

As long as you actually learn from the matches, playing outside your comfort zone is good even if you do eat it a lot. Look at my high tier (8 and up) DDs. I'm terrible there for the most part, it's a high threat environment with lots of factors to take into consideration. But only one way to learn - everyone starts at the bottom or near it.

• Thanks 1

German cruisers are what I do best in, then US heavy cruisers.

Starting to get into German BBs. Love those brawling secondaries.

Not really anything in particular these days when it comes to ships. I used to be split between DD's and other classes (apart from those two...) essentially so that I was a high tier DD main, and a lower tier BB main with cruisers and DD's thrown in at times. Now, I think I'm an operations main, with any and all ships that I happen to like.

Radar Minotaur. 12.5mil exp and counting.

I originally played it as a typical smoke cruiser. But then I took it into the first arms race ranked, a time when the buffs were less well balanced.

There I discovered that I can dodge most BB shells at over 12km with the speed/rudder buffs. It was the first time I ranked out of a season.

It is unfortunate I didn't master the ship earlier, otherwise I would've been able to experience Minotaur's glory days.

With WG's direction of balancing new ships, there will likely never be a ship that comes close it in playstyle. And Brisbane proved that.

I would move on from this game if I could find something else, until then I'll just make noise and remain on board the ship.

On 10/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, Slammer58 said:

I started out loving DDs, but eventually switched over to CAs/CLs...doesn't mean I'm great with cruisers, just really like playing them.  Mogami and Mainz are two of my favorites.

I really love Mainz, just wished it had heal like the other T8 premium, since it mostly see T10 BBs.

On 10/14/2023 at 3:59 PM, invicta2012 said:

Cruiser make more sense in a PVE world. DDs are my first love but WG NEVER like them any more. CVs are OK, Battleships are just meh in PVE - not fast enough, not enough direct fire, and there are better things to do .

Fixed it for you!

WG in 2015: "How can we make sure to kill of every DD in first 4 min of each game? Hey, we put cap zones in the middle of the map that only DD will go to and then we make sure to have a crap-ton of CVs, hydro that sees thru islands, radars that see thru islands, hydro DDs, radar DDs, radar BBs, hydro BBs and a lot of spotterplanes".

WG in 2023: "Hey there is still one or two DDs left alive efter 4 min, what can we do? We can make up game modes and force them into Randoms so players dont have a choice. One can be Arms race where DDs have to push into even smaller caps even closer to enemy team and really suicide for a buff that his teammates will waste. And then we can have a Airship that makes DDs have to travel in a certain circle going on a specified path BOTH well known to the enemy team, so DD players can just disconnect their brain and autopilot that airship until they eat any of the 100 things designed to kill DDs and they die".

"Cool lets do that"

Personally I would really love to see something that would force the J-line playing BB, CV, cruiser to move into the center. Like a shrinking gas cloud like in PUBG. So that Yama players sitting with 100 K health untouched with 5 buffs and caps from his dead DDs actually had to move, but I guess thats to hard.

Back to the topic at hand. 😁

• Haha 1
  • Bored 2

Cruisers, preferably USN, when I play. 

Otherwise, this keyboard.

43 minutes ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

WG in 2015: "How can we make sure to kill of every DD in first 4 min of each game?

Ah!  I see the DD Mafia is not completely dead.  Maybe the EU branch will have a different rhythm.

Doubt it.

Edited by iDuckman