0.12.9 New IJN BB's, Personal Challenges, & Heroic Clash Collection Progress Thread (PVE)

AdmiralThunder

So 0.12.9 dropped today and with it came the IJN BB line split event, personal challenges (IJN BB tokens), and a new collection (Heroic Clash). We can use this thread like we used to on NA to post our progress as PVE players in these various things.

I finished up the Personal Challenges as far as the max 30 Heroic Clash crates for the 1st 2 week stage. I still have 2 DD lines to do for the base 300 BXP level but maxed out on the crates. Not bad for 1 day where I was in and out with IRL crap most of it. Once those 2 DD lines are done I have all the 300's done except for Subs and I won't touch the Subs. Can then work on getting 600's done.

I actually got quite a few 600's today when I only needed 300 but you watch, when I need 600, they will be hard to come by. Note - the 2nd half of the event (ie; Personal Challenges) is damage and not BXP for the levels so we can earn a lot more tokens in PVE in the 2nd half of the event. Keep that in mind and don't bail out early here in the 1st half. Get as many as you can and then next half you can earn a lot more to make up for not getting a lot in this half.

spacer.png

Did pretty good on the collection. You need 60 pieces to finish and we get 1 p/ crate. I got 23/30 out of the crates and just 7 duplicates (23.33%). I will take that. We can get another 30 crates in 2 weeks and then 12 crates from the Battlepass so should be able to finish with extras even though my duplicate rate will surely go up. Will help that duplicates exchange at 2:1.  

spacer.png

Because we can earn tokens a lot easier in the 2nd half I went ahead and bought some crates to get tokens so I could jump ahead a bit. I kind of like the dragon camos and hope I can get at least the T9 one without having to spend any, or at least not much, more. So I am up to the T8 ship now. Haven't played it yet though.

spacer.png

Good luck to everyone.

salute.jpg.070269b8e9e537aca9bce7213eacb524.jpg

• Like 4

I started on the Challenges fairly early and had a truly shocking time ... I couldn't clear a single one.

So I blew it off until the server got quieter and, much to my surprise, managed to score the 300 on most categories.

But I will definitely prefer it when it isn't BXP.

• Like 1

Getting 300 BXP in anything larger than a DD is a challenge when you got 4 or 5 triangle boats in a game. Most popular DD tactic currently in COOP is to take out 2 of the bots on a cap and then ram the third. Highly effective for the DD capt. but sucks for everyone else on that cap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I started on the Challenges fairly early and had a truly shocking time ... I couldn't clear a single one.

So I blew it off until the server got quieter and, much to my surprise, managed to score the 300 on most categories.

But I will definitely prefer it when it isn't BXP.

I've cleared the 300-BXP thresholds for CV's and Submarines.
Now that the German Unity day event is over, I'll be able to play a wider variety of ships to work on more personal challenges categories.

Edit:  I admit I sailed in random battles for the Submarines and CV's.  We'll see how I do in Co-op for other categories.  Might have to use the highest tier available to me, for each category, while sailing in Co-op.

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Like 1

I had a miserable time in higher-tier cruisers for NL, South America and Spain. Then I went to Tier 5, pulled out the La Argentina and tore my way through the last part of the cruiser citadels task to get the 300 in that. 

Fortunately for those with a diverse enough fleet, the 300BXP task is enough to max out the number of event containers for this phase.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've cleared the 300-BXP thresholds for CV's and Submarines.
Now that the German Unity day event is over, I'll be able to play a wider variety of ships to work on more personal challenges categories.

Edit:  I admit I sailed in random battles for the Submarines and CV's.  We'll see how I do in Co-op for other categories.  Might have to use the highest tier available to me, for each category, while sailing in Co-op.

I was hoping you and other more skilled would have posted CV and Sub scores in COOP....   I only own one sub and I am not so hot in Carriers.   I hate wasting my time.\

Anyone else clear the personal challenges in Carriers?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Asym said:

Anyone else clear the personal challenges in Carriers?

300 BXP in Co-op in a CV isn't too hard. 400 like we get in Naval Battles a lot is where it is a PITB! However, it does require a certain playstyle to reliably do it. I didn't record my BXP's for CV's but I did all of them in 1 game. BXP ranged from low 300 to one over 500 (Graf Zeppelin B). I was top 3 a couple and even 1st once.

My best suggestions on what to do...

• DO NOT sit at the back or behind an island UNLESS it is an all bot game (in that case do so until you can safely move to a cap as you may need to survive and carry).
  • At start of game charge ahead so your flight times are less which lets you get more strikes in. Go to...
    • Domination = the nearest cap on the closest flank (avoid the middle cap unless in a KM CV with a secondary build)
    • Arms Race = the nearest boost thing on the closest flank
    • Standard = I run between flank and the middle approach to the base as I head towards the red base
  • Try your best to drop fighters to intercept incoming red planes. The red CV will generally go for Subs 1st then DD's so start out flying near the path to those ships and if you guess the right ship the red CV is going for you can take a lot of planes down. Plane kills help BXP and credits a LOT. You can also fly out back and drop a fighter near the red CV (but out of AA range).
  • Focus higher tier ships 1st if possible, then same tier, and lower tier last. Go for the red DD's if the chance presents itself 1st, then Cruisers or the red CV, and then BB's. Subs are very hard to hit with CV's so don't waste too much time on them unless a good chance presents itself or you have to/have no choice.
  • Try and look for single ships to attack or ships that only have a few close by. Try and avoid attacking the early ship "blobs" you get in Co-op as their grouped AA will shred you. If everything is grouped up but there is a lone BB way behind the rest attack it while you wait for the blob to thin out some. The key is damage with every flight because the game is going to be short (usually) so you must maximize every attack made.
  • Early on practice pre-drops (ie; 1st attack flight drops in water and then goes back to the CV and you go on to attack reds with the remaining planes). This is key to having planes ready as the game  progresses. Bot AA is effective, especially when they blob up, and you will lose planes. 
  • Generally it is 1 drop and then send the planes that lived back to the CV immediately. If the planes have a heal you can get a second drop off, and maybe a 3rd if the ship has really bad AA and no help close, but usually 1 drop is it. In Randoms you have long games to regen lost planes but not so much in Co-op so save planes whenever possible.
  • Torpedoes and skip bombs are best for Co-op, then dive bombs, and rockets last (a few exceptions like Colossus and Aquila). Torpedo and skip bomb attacks start further out as a rule and the planes have decent HP so they are more survivable. Get good with landing torps in Co-op and you will do well most games.
  • ALWAYS cap if possible. Just as with any other class caps help BXP a lot. You can (and should) cap in Co-op with a CV. Go to the cap but try and stay a bit behind the other ships heading there to avoid being the focus of the bots. If it looks like the cap will fall to the bots turn off behind an island but otherwise go in and get that cap.
  • Play T8+ CV's. T6 CV's are much harder to break 300 BXP reliably in for many reasons. SS CV's in all bot games is an almost given 300+. I personally tend to run the T8 Premium CV's when I am doing CV BXP tasks but the tech tree ones will do the job too. In off hours I go SS CV.

That is all I can think of right now. Mainly don't be passive like you would in PVP. You need to be aggressive (but not foolish/yolo).

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Thanks 2

1. I play Co-Op exclusively. 

2. I will play the the CVs I have (19 at last count)

3. I have 2 subs that I WILL NOT play EVER.

image.thumb.png.9ed6125e971b82410829d634314f70aa.png

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

300 BXP in Co-op in a CV isn't too hard. 400 like we get in Naval Battles a lot is where it is a PITB! However, it does require a certain playstyle to reliably do it. I didn't record my BXP's for CV's but I did all of them in 1 game. BXP ranged from low 300 to one over 500 (Graf Zeppelin B). I was top 3 a couple and even 1st once.

My best suggestions on what to do...

• DO NOT sit at the back or behind an island UNLESS it is an all bot game (in that case do so until you can safely move to a cap as you may need to survive and carry).
  • At start of game charge ahead so your flight times are less which lets you get more strikes in. Go to...
    • Domination = the nearest cap on the closest flank (avoid the middle cap unless in a KM CV with a secondary build)
    • Arms Race = the nearest boost thing on the closest flank
    • Standard = I run between flank and the middle approach to the base as I head towards the red base
  • Try your best to drop fighters to intercept incoming red planes. The red CV will generally go for Subs 1st then DD's so start out flying near the path to those ships and if you guess the right ship the red CV is going for you can take a lot of planes down. Plane kills help BXP and credits a LOT. You can also fly out back and drop a fighter near the red CV (but out of AA range).
  • Focus higher tier ships 1st if possible, then same tier, and lower tier last. Go for the red DD's if the chance presents itself 1st, then Cruisers or the red CV, and then BB's. Subs are very hard to hit with CV's so don't waste too much time on them unless a good chance presents itself or you have to/have no choice.
  • Try and look for single ships to attack or ships that only have a few close by. Try and avoid attacking the early ship "blobs" you get in Co-op as their grouped AA will shred you. If everything is grouped up but there is a lone BB way behind the rest attack it while you wait for the blob to thin out some. The key is damage with every flight because the game is going to be short (usually) so you must maximize every attack made.
  • Early on practice pre-drops (ie; 1st attack flight drops in water and then goes back to the CV and you go on to attack reds with the remaining planes). This is key to having planes ready as the game  progresses. Bot AA is effective, especially when they blob up, and you will lose planes. 
  • Generally it is 1 drop and then send the planes that lived back to the CV immediately. If the planes have a heal you can get a second drop off, and maybe a 3rd if the ship has really bad AA and no help close, but usually 1 drop is it. In Randoms you have long games to regen lost planes but not so much in Co-op so save planes whenever possible.
  • Torpedoes and skip bombs are best for Co-op, then dive bombs, and rockets last (a few exceptions like Colossus and Aquila). Torpedo and skip bomb attacks start further out as a rule and the planes have decent HP so they are more survivable. Get good with landing torps in Co-op and you will do well most games.
  • ALWAYS cap if possible. Just as with any other class caps help BXP a lot. You can (and should) cap in Co-op with a CV. Go to the cap but try and stay a bit behind the other ships heading there to avoid being the focus of the bots. If it looks like the cap will fall to the bots turn off behind an island but otherwise go in and get that cap.
  • Play T8+ CV's. T6 CV's are much harder to break 300 BXP reliably in for many reasons. SS CV's in all bot games is an almost given 300+. I personally tend to run the T8 Premium CV's when I am doing CV BXP tasks but the tech tree ones will do the job too. In off hours I go SS CV.

That is all I can think of right now. Mainly don't be passive like you would in PVP. You need to be aggressive (but not foolish/yolo).

Well now, took the advice and the German and British carriers are done.  The IJN is next but I am stalled in the 290's it seems....  The French simply needs a lot more practice and the Russian I think will be doable....

Thanks for the help yet once again........there is always room for me to learn new tricks....

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Asym said:

Well now, took the advice and the German and British carriers are done.  The IJN is next but I am stalled in the 290's it seems....  The French simply needs a lot more practice and the Russian I think will be doable....

Thanks for the help yet once again........there is always room for me to learn new tricks....

Don't waste time with Bearn (French). It is not a qualifying CV for the event. Don't bother with Aquila (Italian) or Sanzang (Pan Asia) either if you have them as they don't qualify either. Only nations with tech tree lines qualify so IJN, US, KM, RU, and BRN.

Be sure and use your torp planes on IJN CV's as the main ones. They are your best weapon. If you have it the T8 Premium Kaga is a beast in Co-op as it has a ton of planes and can take losses while still maintaining enough reserves to keep attacking. Even the tech tree CV's have decent reserves. If you are trying with the T6 Ryujo it will be harder. T8+ will let you get 300 BXP quicker.

Russian CV's are the hardest to play IMO.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Thanks 1

This is going just about as expected = SLOW. As I mentioned in the OP got a lot of 600's when only needing 300 but now that 600 is needed it is as scarce as honest politicians. Just so many 3-5 DD + 1-2 sub games it is almost impossible to do anything (even 300 becomes a stretch). I wish WG would stop the BXP stuff as it is so darn frustrating and so much of it is beyond your control (MM, spawn, map that influences the game, other ship types that draw the bots away from you, etc...).

I actually have found it is easier to get it in Co-op using SuperShips than regular ships. All you need is a game with a couple friendly bots and your chances go way up. Games that have a ton of DD's + Subs though it is pretty much a forgone conclusion the game is a waste. The issue WG created with the new spawn locations a while ago also rears its ugly head in games like these too as you end up so far away from the action you literally can't do anything. The double whammy is being spawned way off on the weak side on a bad map so you can't even take long shots due to mountains in the way. So frustrating.

One more week and then we got to damage and that should make it better. Even when spawn, MM, and the map conspire against you it is still possible to get some damage.

Haven't even been able to finish Cruisers @ 600 yet. Haven't touched DD or CV @ 600.

spacer.png

EDIT - case in point. Went back and took Yamagiri out. Both games were mostly bots with just a couple humans. 1st game I missed it by 3 BXP @ 597 (🤬) as our bots were better than the red ones. So, I went out again, and after entering and leaving queue a couple times to try and get mostly bots, I got a 600+ BXP game. It's not economically feasible to do it a lot but you can when the odds are in your favor of getting those glorious games that are all or mostly bots. 

spacer.png

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This is going just about as expected = SLOW. As I mentioned in the OP got a lot of 600's when only needing 300 but now that 600 is needed it is as scarce as honest politicians. Just so many 3-5 DD + 1-2 sub games it is almost impossible to do anything (even 300 becomes a stretch). I wish WG would stop the BXP stuff as it is so darn frustrating and so much of it is beyond your control (MM, spawn, map that influences the game, other ship types that draw the bots away from you, etc...).

I actually have found it is easier to get it in Co-op using SuperShips than regular ships. All you need is a game with a couple friendly bots and your chances go way up. Games that have a ton of DD's + Subs though it is pretty much a forgone conclusion the game is a waste. The issue WG created with the new spawn locations a while ago also rears its ugly head in games like these too as you end up so far away from the action you literally can't do anything. The double whammy is being spawned way off on the weak side on a bad map so you can't even take long shots due to mountains in the way. So frustrating.

One more week and then we got to damage and that should make it better. Even when spawn, MM, and the map conspire against you it is still possible to get some damage.

Haven't even been able to finish Cruisers @ 600 yet. Haven't touched DD or CV @ 600.

spacer.png

EDIT - case in point. Went back and took Yamagiri out. Both games were mostly bots with just a couple humans. 1st game I missed it by 3 BXP @ 597 (🤬) as our bots were better than the red ones. So, I went out again, and after entering and leaving queue a couple times to try and get mostly bots, I got a 600+ BXP game. It's not economically feasible to do it a lot but you can when the odds are in your favor of getting those glorious games that are all or mostly bots. 

spacer.png

Oh great and powerful grand poobah of BOT carnivores, Chief of PVE - I have to say something you will not want to hear......  First look at where I am in these Personal Challenges:

image.thumb.png.5740d1cce314febfe207135df6e55799.png

I'm working on 1,400's right now in Random Operations.   I know, that's not something you are interested in;  BUT, you did play Randoms for a while....  So, what's the difference???  You have played PVP and that is no longer an issue and RO's are PVE !!! 

You are more that welcome to join us most evenings, a Division of Veterans and Oddballs whom have but one mission:  to have fun winning !   And, we all have been in the game a LONG time so.........we don't screw around too much.   Other than playing just about any of the tier 6 through 8 ships.

Again, you are more than welcome to "drop with us" in a Division of 5 to 7 players......  All we ask is that you get on Discord with us so we can better coordinate what we do !

Think about it....... 

• Like 1

So far I've obtained 1,000 Japanese tokens and used 500 to get the Lights of Kyoto bundle ... I'd like to get the Yumihari bundle but that's not looking good atm. I'll be lucky if I can get the bonus package bundle.

• Like 1

My Japanese Tokens as of today—all earned in PVE.

image.thumb.png.b62b5dd97c27f04beb787185d2cde1a6.png

It is getting a bit more challenging when it comes to getting Base XP for Battleships; lots of cruisers take the lion's share in every Operation. I decided to play cruisers again, and the ones from the Royal Navy has been every effective at helping me hurdle personal challenges.

image.thumb.png.2f91be6550d4862c92935e98a93b8669.png

As of now I'm not sure how to best spend these Japanese Tokens. That dragon camo looks nice and unique, but then permanent bonuses are equally worthy of consideration.

• Like 1

FINALLY got the last of the Cruisers past the 600 bar (Gouden Leeuw). BB's have been the easiest so far actually which was surprising. I don't do Op's so for me PVE = Co-op only and getting 600 BXP+ in Co-op is not easy these days. But I managed to get myself between the CV and the rest of the ships to farm planes on top of the rest of what I did and I finally got it (839 actually so overkill).

That leaves 4 CV's and 5 DD's (I don't do subs). I just am not motivated enough to beat myself up grinding to get 600 in these last few ships. I am finishing my daily's towards the Battlepass (5-6 games) and then I am taking a break until stage 2 starts tomorrow. With stage 2 being damage I can make headway earning tokens in Co-op as long as the 2nd bar is not some insane jump like they do with BXP so often.spacer.png

Personal Challenges, Part 1

Finally, the hard part is over. 

• 2325 Japanese Tokens
  • 93 Challenges completed
  • 2333 Best Base XP score

All done in PVE, and I particularly enjoyed my time playing Operations. I could have earned more tokens but I have limited play time.

shot-23_10.25_01_18.30-0898.thumb.jpg.b00b4f04f9bf2a0fd04c205cd0399b99.jpg

My highest Base XP at 2333 was achieved in Narai using the Edinburgh and her 13 point commander.

shot-23_10.22_21_34.24-0948.thumb.jpg.66ac2e93c2fe3244b194ee099cb51cf8.jpg

shot-23_10.22_21_34.26-0347.thumb.jpg.7cfe1cba4cc9abbf9516b21cc73ea547.jpg

Moving on, Part 2 looks easy. 

• Like 1

Part 1 was 1100 Japanese tokens total.  Got all base 300 level (except submarines which I didn't play) and then 600 level on all battleships and about half the cruisers. 

Got all of that while in co-op plus just over half of the puzzle pieces and 10 duplicates from part 1 plus the 20 boxes from the bonus battle pass ones.  Looks like an easy completion of the puzzle on Part 2. 

Hopefully I can grind for the T8 ship using the free mechanism in addition to the bonus package but that's a long way off 🙂

Fair winds and following seas!

Part 2 yielded 47/60 unique puzzle pieces with 38 duplicates after finishing the 30 new crates, so no problem finishing it if you did the battle pass.  The reward isn't really anything to get excited about so skipping it wouldn't be a big deal either 🙂

Damage will allow for an attempt for the free boat, but still a long way off... after the 30 missions for puzzle pieces, I have 1350 Japanese Tokens.  That's after already buying the first step freebie, so the 2nd one is close.  Still pure co-op.   Good luck if you're trying for it!

Edited by Arcusaesopi
Add data.
  • Like 1

Just a mild complaint against myself...

Finally get around to where I can focus on PCs; and they reset from bxp to damage... Yay...

I'm done for the most part. Can still earn tokens but nothing left I want to buy so any extra moving forward will be for credits most likely (the T9 or T10 perma economic boost maybe if I get enough).

Have been quite sick this week so play time was very limited (to when I could drag my old groaning and sick butt out of bed and actually sit up for an hour - thanks lady at the Walmart pharmacy who went to work sick and made me sick!!!! 😡) but I got on today for a good go and ground out the 2nd stage crates. Finished BP up and got those crates too. I ended up finishing the collection with many dupes to spare so got the camo for the new IJN T8 BB (which I got too).

spacer.png

spacer.png

I also did something I haven't for a long time; I opened the wallet wide open. For a couple years now while I have spent, I have not spent a ton (like I used to). However, the dragon camos in this event definitely were of interest. I think they are some of the best special camos WG has ever done (especially the one for the T9 Premium). I wanted them so the wallet didn't just get cracked open it got opened with the laws of life! LOL. I did pretty good on the drops hitting Ise (already had so 2000 Doubloons), the 6000 token drop, and the T9 Premium BB. In the end the old wallet stayed open, screaming for mercy, until I had the special camos for both T9 BB's and the T10 as well. I ended up with the T8 and T9 tech tree ships too. Wasn't cheap but I am ok with that. I will spend when I think it is worth it and this time I felt it was. I also have a head start grinding the T10 now having the T9.

Going to be a lot of tokens available this 2nd half with it being damage. Now if I can just get over this crud and get to grinding I can maybe get 1 of the perma economic boost packages.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I went for the Permanent Bonus for Bungo after getting this much Japanese Tokens in phase two, all of which were earned in PVE. Compared to the first phase where it was all about Base XP, I found this one to be a bit difficult for destroyers mainly because there were almost always four (4) DDs competing for damage in every Co-op match. 

I did most of this in Co-op, as it was more economical in terms of time spent in the game. The 50% reduction in damage score if it was done in Operations is simply unreasonable. Another thing I have observed is that most of the time I played cruisers in Co-op, the number of DDs do not exceed two; but if I played DDs, say a Kleber or a Daring, there's 4 of us. 

Right before I played French DDs (Kleber and Marceau), I took note of my Karma, just to test a theory. These two DDs can quickly rack up kills and score big damage numbers. After each Co-op battle, I checked it, and true enough it decreased. My Tier X French DDs must have reported me—in behalf of those who did little damage. 😄

image.thumb.png.5156a67d17d20aad52e7c6f5ca5d5d75.png

I'll take it very easy for the time being. October 2023 has been a wonderful PVP and PVE experience for me in the game. 

Personal Challenges ends with the new update tomorrow. I did ok 2nd half but not as well as I would have liked due to having walking pneumonia. Many days I just haven't played as I didn't feel like it. But I managed to keep up with the bare minimum for stuff at least. Thankfully there is no big event next update so we get a small break before the Christmas dockyard and other stuff arrives.

spacer.png 

• Thanks 1

After taking a short break, I played Operations again, including the Halloween-themed Last Voyage of Transylvania. I had lots of fun, and with 12.10 just around the corner, it is time to sit back and meditate, let the stress disappear, and relive those moments when it was amazingly fun reaching damage levels.

shot-23_11.07_23_35.49-0827.thumb.jpg.1f366c05d412999937a63e1b42c729e5.jpg

On the other hand, I still dislike the fact that WG decided to reduce by 50% the damage inflicted in Operations as it relates to Personal Challenges. It clearly illustrates their lack of a more nuanced understanding on how long it would take one to reach a higher bar, compared to Co-op.

I'm ready. Bring on BUNGO LOL. Not bad for just 42 Co-op games. And Yamamoto will be glad to get back where he belongs on Yamato.

spacer.png

• Like 1