Is the game trying to tell me something? A tale for your amusement.

SunkCostFallacy

I decided that it was time to go forth and do battle with the bots in my mighty GK. I spawned on the Faroe Islands map and charged towards the enemy, serene in the knowledge that Right was on my side and more importantly, most of the time, the bots can't shoot for <obvious expletive deleted to comply with the rules>. smileytongue.gif.fe902ab22717c1b5f4145a5a20d211c2.gif

My first victim hove into view and I took careful aim, then sent forth six shells of Righteous High Explosive to rend the superstructure of a Vermont! I watched, eager to see the glorious impact ... only to watch my shells decide that they'd rather go swimming! facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

shot-23_10.11_15_58.01-0531.thumb.jpg.78ba564cfa8071f14f19d2214e9c8d24.jpg

Honestly ... that's not dispersion, that's emigration. Those shells didn't just miss ... they tried to defect!

Perhaps it's not a good day to play BBs. Smile_trollface.gif.54fa9cced482993e9b392c91e064fbb5.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

In an angled Amagi, I fired AP at a broadside Redbote BB at 5 km, only to see the shells plop into the water what seemed like a km short. The BB went on around a little rock and I shot again as it emerged the other side. And again, all shots fell short. Felt like I was firing a cork gun. Plop, plop! It was hilarious, really.

I think the key is to give your crew enough time to sober up after shore leave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Well, you can expect that sort of hilarious dispersion in a Mikasa or a Kawachi on a regular basis, but in a GK or in an Amagi, something is seriously amiss.

We need a sense of humour at times to journey these incidents, to help us recover from our initial expletives.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

only to watch my shells decide that they'd rather go swimming!

At least they landed roughly in the right area. If I tried that in something like Colombo, the Zao would probably be in more danger than the Vermont. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

......only to watch my shells decide that they'd rather go swimming! facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

On 10/2/2023 at 5:46 PM, Andrewbassg said:

So what helps, in my experience is a) do not mess with the camera settings, leave it at 50/0 (i.e neutral)

b) manually unlock/relock every target you want to shoot at 

c) wait a bit before you shoot, stabilise the aiming for at least(!!) one second, don't just put the crosshair where you want to aim and shoot.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

I think the key is to give your crew enough time to sober up after shore leave.

You've got to search every inch of the fire control director tower. There are spaces between pieces of equipment where it's possible to hide a bottle of something. Sake, schnapps, gin, moonshine... whatever that nation's tipple is, there's a place to hide it and a gunner who's not quite on the ball as a result.

image.thumb.png.2df96febd3c53ed63767e32fcea07ccd.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

DispersionillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.png.c86210b3d176f9ad27845a97274604b4.png

I suggest getting closer to the target.  🙂 

A fine idea ... It's my secondary monster GK with extra monster!

But I do want to get better at firing BB guns1 at range ... so I can get other BBs which don't have secondaries that melt other ships!

1. Not BB guns2 ... BB guns3.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's my crew on punishment detail for missing that Vermont!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

DispersionillustratedbyWolfswetpaws_08-02-2022_.thumb.png.c86210b3d176f9ad27845a97274604b4.png

I suggest getting closer to the target.  🙂 

Don't you think the target would rather mind you doing that? It's not like they don't realize what you have in mind...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Don't you think the target would rather mind you doing that? It's not like they don't realize what you have in mind...

Parody skit ....

[Booboo the bear]  "Yogi, the Ranger isn't gonna like that"
[Yogi the bear] "Well, ahhh, <bleep> the Ranger, Booboo."

Spoiler

Rodney Dangerfield, Maurice LaMarche and a Slew of Impressions (1984)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

At least they landed roughly in the right area. If I tried that in something like Colombo, the Zao would probably be in more danger than the Vermont. 

I had that happen once. The two ships were much, much closer together, but I fired at a BB at about 16-17km or so I think(in Gneisanau), missed the ship I was aiming at, and got a citadel on a CL that had gone dark. 

My aim was right, but the dispersion said nope and decided to get bullseye on the wrong target. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I decided that it was time to go forth and do battle with the bots in my mighty GK. I spawned on the Faroe Islands map and charged towards the enemy, serene in the knowledge that Right was on my side and more importantly, most of the time, the bots can't shoot for <obvious expletive deleted to comply with the rules>. smileytongue.gif.fe902ab22717c1b5f4145a5a20d211c2.gif

My first victim hove into view and I took careful aim, then sent forth six shells of Righteous High Explosive to rend the superstructure of a Vermont! I watched, eager to see the glorious impact ... only to watch my shells decide that they'd rather go swimming! facepalmsmiley.gif.dc696cfbf23e3f4aab9dce896eba2993.gif

shot-23_10.11_15_58.01-0531.thumb.jpg.78ba564cfa8071f14f19d2214e9c8d24.jpg

Honestly ... that's not dispersion, that's emigration. Those shells didn't just miss ... they tried to defect!

Perhaps it's not a good day to play BBs. Smile_trollface.gif.54fa9cced482993e9b392c91e064fbb5.gif

Now, there needs to be an Award called:  "Boat Washing" that would take three salvos of misses at one target....  That would be an easy to obtain award.

• Haha 1