Vladivostok vs Sov. Soyuz bow size

Jakeshuffle

Is the Sov. Soyuz smaller in-game than the Vladivostok or am I just seeing "all bow" for the Vlad? It looks like a pretty nice upgrade as far as T8 --> T9's go or am I seeing things? I really enjoy the Russian BB line, incredibly entertaining to play.

14 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

I really enjoy the Russian BB line, incredibly entertaining to play.

Oh God, how I wish. I wish I could do a Vulcan mind-meld with someone like yourself and have impressed upon my brain the key to their awesomeness, because to write here what I think of them at the moment would get me excommunicated from WOWS.

Don't get me wrong; I want to like them! I just find them incredibly frustrating whenever I use them, and I can't for the life of me put my finger on what I'm missing. For example, I must be the only person in the game who's ground through Sinop and can't see what the hype is all about. ☹️

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jakeshuffle said:

Is the Sov. Soyuz smaller in-game than the Vladivostok or am I just seeing "all bow" for the Vlad? It looks like a pretty nice upgrade as far as T8 --> T9's go or am I seeing things? I really enjoy the Russian BB line, incredibly entertaining to play.

I visited the WOWs wiki pages ...

First, the Vladivostok page.

Specifications

45,900 tons displacement, standard; 51,000 tons displacement, full load
255m length
32.6m beam
9.5m draft (mean)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Vladivostok

Next, the Sovetsky Soyuz page.

Specifications

XX tons displacement, standard
XXm length
XXm beam
XXm draft

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Sovetsky_Soyuz

Sovetsky Soyuz (Russian: Советский Союз—Soviet Union) was formally laid down 15 July 1938 in Shipyard Nr. 189 (Ordzhonikidze) in Leningrad, although evidence suggests that construction actually began in January 1939 after her slipway was completed, the necessary cranes were in place, and working drawings had been completed. When the war began she was estimated to be 21.19% complete, with 15,818 metric tons (15,568 long tons) of steel assembled on the slip. She was only lightly damaged by German air attacks and bombardments, and, as some material had been used during the Siege of Leningrad, she was estimated to be 19.5% complete after the end of the war. Some thought was given to completing her, but this was opposed as she was regarded as obsolete in light of the experience gained during the war. Stalin's expressed desire to see one of the Project 23-class ships completed only delayed the decision to scrap her; this was ordered on 29 May 1948 and was well underway by April 1949.

But, from another source ...

Specifications 1941

Displacement: 24,000t, 27-28,000t FL
Dimensions: 181.20 x 26.80 x 9.20 m
Propulsion: 4 shaft geared turbines, 25 Yarrow boilers, 42,000 hp. 23 knots max.
Armor: 230 to 254 mm max.
Crew: 1130

https://naval-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/sovetsky-soyuz-class-battleships.php

And from wikipedia

General characteristics after 1941 modifications
Type Battleship
Displacement
Length 269.4 m (883 ft 10 in) (o/a)
Beam 38.9 m (127 ft 7 in)
Draft 10.4 m (34 ft 1 in)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovetsky_Soyuz-class_battleship

As you've probably discerned, specifications seem to vary according to the source cited.
Also, it is worth mentioning that the design of the ship changed on at least one occasion, and that the specifications changed accordingly.
I suggest fully reading the articles found via the enclosed links.

Hope that helps.  🙂 

• Thanks 2

Russian battleships have great frontal armor, fast damage control, and great guns with excellent AP.  Their citadels, however, are very vulnerable.   So, just don't get flanked.  Their overall play style is different, so if you like to brawl, the RU line really is not a good choice at all.  Don't believe, in my opinion, they are as good as they were due to the current meta, but in the right hands, they do really well.  As you say @Jakeshufflethey are "bow in" fighting ships. I don't think you are "seeing things" as you advance up the tiers.  If you enjoy them, play them - period.  Sinop to this day is one of my favorite BBs for its tier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vladivostok is smaller.

Vladivostok's bow is intentionally designed to be longer than what the internal arrangements actually needed to take advantage of certain principles of hydromechanics (the longer the hull, the higher speed threshold when wavemaking drag would increase sharply; the so-called "natural speed" shown in the Springsharp calculator software) to increase her speed without increasing her propulsion power.

• Like 2