For all you low-tier addicts and new players out there...

Ensign Cthulhu

The new Polar Adventure missions kick off with a first phase that is open to all ships down to Tier THREE.

image.thumb.png.b952dd0a0f8f9185c6931d340553730c.png 

Subsequent phases are Tier 5 and up as normal, but I think it's WG's not-unreasonable assumption that if you get all this done, you will have at least one T5 ship to continue the next phase.

Veteran players: please play nice. No clubbing divs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

A step in the right direction.

😄

Also, it's entirely possible to club seals at tier 10...the position that lower tiers are primarily populated with new players is hopelessly naive.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

The new Polar Adventure missions kick off with a first phase that is open to all ships down to Tier THREE.

Subsequent phases are Tier 5 and up as normal, but I think it's WG's not-unreasonable assumption that if you get all this done, you will have at least one T5 ship to continue the next phase.

Who cares about low tier the fact that ops where excluded is bigger. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 2

1 hour ago, lordholland4293 said:

Who cares about low tier the fact that ops where excluded is bigger. 

In the current meta, that pretty much translates into a mission killer for me.

Though it's nice to see them giving missions for tiers 3-4 at least. Lots of old favorites in there. Tier 2 would be even nicer.

• Like 1

It's a nice gesture. Lots of great-looking ships at Tier III (and some which are effective, too) - nice to know I'm also completing a project whilst doodling about in Charleston, Caledon and Navarra...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

It's a nice gesture. Lots of great-looking ships at Tier III (and some which are effective, too) - nice to know I'm also completing a project whilst doodling about in Charleston, Caledon and Navarra...

Yes, there are nice-looking ships at Tier III to summon for this event. A great diversity of cruisers, including the relative newcomers Navarra and Vincente Guerrero. A shame that these last two have such dismal DPM when compared to St. Louis, Bogatyr, etc. Still, they look good as port queens!?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bumblegoose said:

Yes, there are nice-looking ships at Tier III to summon for this event. A great diversity of cruisers, including the relative newcomers Navarra and Vincente Guerrero. A shame that these last two have such dismal DPM when compared to St. Louis, Bogatyr, etc. Still, they look good as port queens!?

I would add the low Tier Dutch cruisers to that list. Handsome ships, moderate performance. And from the ones you've named, Guerrero is particularly poor; one gun more than Caledon, 25% slower reload, no torpedoes. Definitely a ship to skip, especially in a low tier game where you've got lots of dreadnoughts about and AP only cruisers don't have the gun power to damage them. Navarra, at least, has HE to make her more effective.

Edited by invicta2012
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I would add the low Tier Dutch cruisers to that list. Handsome ships, moderate performance. And from the ones you've named, Guerrero is particularly poor; one gun more than Caledon, 25% slower reload, no torpedoes. Definitely a ship to skip, especially in a low tier game where you've got lots of dreadnoughts about and AP only cruisers don't have the gun power to damage them. Navarra, at least, has HE to make her more effective.

Yes, Guerrero is poor. By shooting at the bow and stern areas of battleships with her AP, you can often do 1-2K damage. However, in the absence of any fire chance, it  really isn't enough. Yes. the Dutch cruisers at tiers 1 and 2 are entirely forgettable, but Java at Tier 3 is more decent.  Over several hundred randoms, I have done just as well in Java as in Charleston. However, Java requires a very different, 'gun and run' playstyle than Charleston, using her speed to advantage. I haven't tested the Tier 4 de Ruyter yet.

14 hours ago, AdmiralMcintosh said:

What about tier two and one?

Hey, it's a start!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bumblegoose said:

Yes, Guerrero is poor. By shooting at the bow and stern areas of battleships with her AP, you can often do 1-2K damage. However, in the absence of any fire chance, it  really isn't enough. Yes. the Dutch cruisers at tiers 1 and 2 are entirely forgettable, but Java at Tier 3 is more decent.  Over several hundred randoms, I have done just as well in Java as in Charleston. However, Java requires a very different, 'gun and run' playstyle than Charleston, using her speed to advantage. I haven't tested the Tier 4 de Ruyter yet.

Java is a beast at T3. A fire breather. Pretty tough too, not too easy to citadel. Aurora is also very good at T3. Guerrero? It's uselss, no HE and no torps. At least Caledon has a good set of torps to make up for the AP only gimmick. 

Wait operations are not listed? Well I guess we're not allowed to have both of them at once.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2023 at 9:08 AM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Hey, it's a start!

Agreed, it’s nice to see below tier 5 being included.

• Like 1

Just now, DDG44_Vet said:

Agreed, it’s nice to see below tier 5 being included.

I finished the cap ribbons mission in my Varyag, of all things. A T3 Russian protected cruiser offered as a short-grind prize way back in early 2018. Mouse didn't think much of her, but as a newbie who'd just picked up his second-ever free premium ship (the first was T3 Vampire), I was understandably elated!

Being able to finally use her for something that counts was very nice, all those years later. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, AdmiralMcintosh said:

Wait operations are not listed? Well I guess we're not allowed to have both of them at once.

And, that sucks.

• Like 2

Hope this isn't a one off, because I've always liked those lower tier ships, and the maps have always felt better in terms of scale on the lower levels too.

On 10/7/2023 at 11:28 PM, AdmiralMcintosh said:

Yeah. The usual fun police attitude of Wargaming. While one can argue in favor of Wargaming that the inclusion of lower tiers can equate for 'fun', it is seriously tempered by the fact that Tiers 3 and 4 have long been excluded from completing Daily Trial missions.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Yeah. The usual fun police attitude of Wargaming. While one can argue in favor of Wargaming that the inclusion of lower tiers can equate for 'fun', it is seriously tempered by the fact that Tiers 3 and 4 have long been excluded from completing Daily Trial missions.

Some people see the silver lining. All others can ever do is stare miserably at the cloud. 

I'd like to see low tiers included in Daily Trials missions as much as you would (preferably in co-op only so that there is no possibility whatever of clubbing or of experienced divs on the friendly side killing everything and leaving nothing for the newer players). But until then, I'll take pleasure in gestures like this one. 

1 minute ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Some people see the silver lining. All others can ever do is stare miserably at the cloud. 

I'd like to see low tiers included in Daily Trials missions as much as you would (preferably in co-op only so that there is no possibility whatever of clubbing or of experienced divs on the friendly side killing everything and leaving nothing for the newer players). But until then, I'll take pleasure in gestures like this one. 

You are not the only one who enjoys playing low tiers. I even posted a recent video where I had quite a good time with the Duguay-Trouin. 

Saying 'all others can ever do is stare miserably at the cloud' is pure ad hominem that conveniently sweeps a valid and legitimate observation under the rug. 

Again, the issue is the missions could have been made in such a way that it would be as inclusive as much as possible. Making it about what you see and what others see is defective at best.

6 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I'd like to see low tiers included in Daily Trials missions as much as you would (preferably in co-op only so that there is no possibility whatever of clubbing or of experienced divs on the friendly side killing everything and leaving nothing for the newer players).

This is a Wargaming product. This is not a 'let's-be-careful-not-to-seal-club' product. I think newer players will not learn anything significant if they do not play outside the skill-less comfort zone that is Co-op. 

You will see professionals and potatoes in low tiers and in high tiers. And with Wargaming's design and monetization, a seal can get a Tier IX ship faster than you can argue about seal clubbing in low tiers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

...as if seal clubbing happens only at lower tiers.

I club plenty of seals when I play Midway.

• Haha 1

On 10/6/2023 at 4:37 PM, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Ah hahahahaha.....do you realize the price of "seal pelts" these days !!!!  Oh gosh, where is my seal stick........hey Ensign, when does the seal season start in Canada this year???    Harumph, harumph........come on, gives us a Harumph......

9 minutes ago, Asym said:

Ah hahahahaha.....do you realize the price of "seal pelts" these days !!!!  Oh gosh, where is my seal stick........hey Ensign, when does the seal season start in Canada this year???    Harumph, harumph........come on, gives us a Harumph......

I'll see your harumph and raise you a bah humbug. 😛

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Especially daily trials, no reason newbies grinding through the early tiers of lines should be excluded from those rewards. I'd love to see all the missions open to a wider variety of tiers and modes. 

Hmm maybe they could impliment dynamic tier ranges based on what you have unlocked, probably too difficult to program without too many bugs showing up.

I like low tier because I'm so bad at high tier.

IMO, newbie protextion could use some reform.  How many players start out fun, then hit the Tier V wall and quit? 

One argument is that a newb doesn't need to know that he's doing until T5, so he doesn't.  This could be an education issue.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Thanks 2