Calling all theorycrafters

SunkCostFallacy

I watched a video a while back, but I can't remember who it was by, and it doesn't really matter right now.

The idea presented in the video was that when firing at long range with BB guns ... fire them individually rather than do a full salvo. The youtuber said he couldn't explain why, but he felt he was getting more hits shooting that way.

I've been experimenting with that on my Agincourt and it seems to work. At least it seems to work for me, who is typically a really really bad shot with BB guns.

I've been wondering if there's any conceivable basis why it might improve your hits ... and the only one that comes to mind is that the auto-aim lock-on mechanism might apply itself to the ALL guns which are ready to fire ... so as you shoot each turret, the number of guns available are reduced and therefore the auto-aim isn't taking into consideration such a dispersed (i.e. across the full length of the BB) number of origins for the shells.

Of course that might be complete bollocks.

Anyway - when I don't know, I ask the experts. So experts ... anyone got any ideas?

And having posed what is either an incredibly thought provoking, or completely ridiculous, question I'm going to bed. I look forward to any input I might find in the morning! popcornsmall.gif.f99725c881e02f6af1f74e589602245a.gif

Edited by SunkCostFallacy
  • Like 1

It’s confirmation bias, more or less.

Dispersion is already calculated on a per shell/per turret basis, so salvo vs single fire doesn’t really make a difference there over the long run. The only “difference” is the server calculating seven turrets’ worth of dispersion at the “same” time, or spread out over a couple seconds.

Single fire does allow for minute aim corrections, which is why it can be better for shooting targets that are trying to dodge. And it might reduce the effect of your hand shifting slightly at the moment you fire, so the server calculates based on a slightly different aim point than you wanted.

But the dispersion is the same either way (barring exceptions like Dazzle or a ship entering/exiting a storm).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I watched a video a while back, but I can't remember who it was by, and it doesn't really matter right now.

I think it was Potato Quality who did that video. 

Me, I prefer firing all BB main guns at the same time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

The idea presented in the video was that when firing at long range with BB guns ... fire them individually rather than do a full salvo. The youtuber said he couldn't explain why, but he felt he was getting more hits shooting that way.

I've been experimenting with that on my Agincourt and it seems to work. At least it seems to work for me, who is typically a really really bad shot with BB guns.

I've been wondering if there's any conceivable basis why it might improve your hits ... and the only one that comes to mind is that the auto-aim lock-on mechanism might apply itself to the ALL guns which are ready to fire ... so as you shoot each turret, the number of guns available are reduced and therefore the auto-aim isn't taking into consideration such a dispersed (i.e. across the full length of the BB) number of origins for the shells.

Of course that might be complete bollocks.

Anyway - when I don't know, I ask the experts. So experts ... anyone got any ideas?

And having posed what is either an incredibly thought provoking, or completely ridiculous, question I'm going to bed. I look forward to any input I might find in the morning! popcornsmall.gif.f99725c881e02f6af1f74e589602245a.gif

Yeah, I USED to do full salvo's but now I use sequential fire as I find it to be much more reliable at landing hits.  Before WeeGee borked things with the aim bug, it was fine to use full salvo.  The accuracy was way better than now, and there is the benefit of the Alpha you get from it, but now?  feh

So I can say that sequential fire is the better way to go, even on ships that have really good accuracy.

Also: I am no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.  Smile_great.gif.ff9d4ab3002206b67ce1d47fd4d2411a.gif

Edited by Volron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Volron said:

Yeah, I USED to do full salvo's but now I use sequential fire as I find it to be much more reliable at landing hits.  Before WeeGee borked things with the aim bug, it was fine to use full salvo.  The accuracy was way better than now, and there is the benefit of the Alpha you get from it, but now?  feh

So I can say that sequential fire is the better way to go, even on ships that have really good accuracy.

Also: I am no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn.  Smile_great.gif.ff9d4ab3002206b67ce1d47fd4d2411a.gif

People also dodge more than in the old days, I've noticed. Even bad players will at least try to way more often than in like 2015/2016/etc. So I often fire one turret to get them to commit, then fire some others.

It might just be because of the crutch skills like IFA that let them know someone has fired at them at longer ranges, though. Sometimes you just target a bad player and cause his PT goes up, he just swerves radically. Sometimes it's very hilarious behavior to watch cause they do it at terrible times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volron said:

Also: I am no expert,

6FE6656A-2569-4D5C-A445-EB63E019A1B5.gif

Says one of (if not) the best ops cat, all around .....

• Thanks 1

Personally I think that theory is BS ... I find I land more accurate shots in battleships by firing salvos from all turrets at once.

• Like 1

ripple firing vs volley firing will have no effect on dispersion formula or target lock.

If you are jumping in and out of binocular view your aim point(s) may shift.

Islands in close proximity can cause aim to go wonky at times.

I believe there were some auto-lock issues in the past, but am unsure if or when they may have been resolved. If you ripple fire you do have the option to disengage the lock on and re-engage it between individual turret firing if you wanted to test that.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input.

I don't know why ... but I'm definitely getting significantly better results ripple firing. I'm not suggesting that ripple fire gives less dispersion per gun, but something is causing more shells to hit the target.

It also occurred to me that it might be due to something external to the game ... like the way I press the mouse button. I have to click lightly or I get a salvo, which might prevent me unintentionally moving the mouse slightly when I mash down the button for a full salvo.

• Like 2