Those like me playing since 2016/2017 How do you keep playing

Folded_1000_Times

Hey,

Honestly more often im hating the game due to the lack of braincells in tier 10.

How do you find the motivation to log on? How do you get back Joy? Is this just naturally what WG wanted to happen? Experienced players just giving up? 

It's becoming tiresome. I already did CW for many years, Got my KOTS badges. I have no desire to return to comp (NA is pretty much dead anyway). I have all tier 8-10 ships i care about, tons of steel, coal, RB points, free xp. I don't find subs fun, nor CVs due to me seeing them as being griefing classes rather than legitimate classes to play(different conversation). I dont enjoy low tier, its like beating up a small child for their candy. I have nothing to grind in the game. I started a successful typhoon clan, and handed off the keys (not my current clan, in there for port benefits). I've tried getting my chat score up to unicum, but i just get chat banned for saying anything remotely funny. So I'm at a loss. I want to keep playing, but the motivation is becoming low to even play more than 3 games. 

You look at WG game balance attempts, and it reminds me of toddlers getting hold of the bag of marshmallows and the kids about to throw it into the fireplace.

I've swapped to more calming games like: Starfield, Rimworld, Oxygen not included, etc

Hows baldur's gate 3? 

spacer.png

Thanks

Edited by Folded_1000_Times
  • Thanks 1
  • Bored 2

Find what you love about the game and play that.

There is nothing special about tier 10 except in WG's mind and how they monetize the game.

I have made no secret of the fact that this game's peak fun is tier 7, IMO. Above that, the effectiveness of firepower becomes too great and the only real strategy is to sit hull down behind concealment and wait for the first person to get bored and make a mistake...or for RNG to grant you an advantage to press.

You don't SAIL tier 10 battleships, for example. You move them to a shelling position where you sit pretty stationary.

That's just World of Tanks on water.

Play operations.

Play lower tiers.

Stop worrying about grind or reward payouts or game balance.

Play to have fun.

Laugh at WG staff as they rage about your behavior.

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

There is nothing special about tier 10 except in WG's mind and how they monetize the game.

I have made no secret of the fact that this game's peak fun is tier 7, IMO. Above that, the effectiveness of firepower becomes too great and the only real strategy is to sit hull down behind concealment and wait for the first person to get bored and make a mistake...or for RNG to grant you an advantage to press.

You don't SAIL tier 10 battleships, for example. You move them to a shelling position where you sit pretty stationary.

That's just World of Tanks on water.

Play operations.

Play lower tiers.

Play to have fun.

Edit: nevermind

Edited by Folded_1000_Times

5 hours ago, Folded_1000_Times said:

I want to keep playing, but the motivation is becoming low to even play more than 3 games.

We all have our reasons for playing or not. It is a very complicated subject, filled with tons of personal preferences that may or may not align with others. All I can say is, if the motivation to play is increasingly becoming low, don't force yourself to rekindle the fire. Let the motivation or the drive to play come back on its own. That way, you will avoid disharmony.

5 hours ago, Folded_1000_Times said:

I've swapped to more calming games like: Starfield, Rimworld, Oxygen not included, etc

I still play Total War games, because I find them very relaxing. They are old, particularly Total War: Shogun II, but they give me the enjoyment I am looking for when I have the time to play PC games. I thought of revisiting Supreme Commander, but eventually decided not to, when I remembered how tedious that game can become.

5 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Each Tier has something special. It is just that what one might find particularly fun in Tier VII may not necessarily translate to the same fun in higher tiers, say Tier X. I particularly enjoy using tech tree ships to destroy premium ships, especially those very expensive ones like the ARP Yamato, in Random Battles. It is like, "Hey, I have a 14-point captain on the Castilla, and I just sunk your shiny ARP Yamato. You happy with your purchase?" 😄 

And when I check their stats, I find they are relatively new players, usually with less than 500 Random Battles in total. I hope they were not thinking "What the hell is wrong with this expensive ship I purchased for Doubloons!" when their premium ship got burned to death because they played poorly. 😄 

How WG monetizes the game is their own choice and decision. I learned early on that the only way to I can truly enjoy World of Warships is to focus on my own strengths and weaknesses and to cut the chains of FOMO. 

5 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Play operations.

Play lower tiers.

Play to have fun.

I agree. The fun is there, it has never left the game, it is just a matter of viewing it from a different perspective every now and then. And it can also be found by playing without spending any money. 😄

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Folded_1000_Times said:

How do you find the motivation to log on?

I actually got burned out on constant Randoms back in 2018 - specifically this thing: https://worldofwarships.com/fr/news/general-news/june-missions-2018/ 

So I became a co-op main, with reversion to Randoms when it suited my purposes (missions that couldn't be done any other way; finishing off grinds with full boosters in a higher-XP context). The fact that WG brought in Directives at that point and opened the field to co-op in a way that hadn't been seen before helped immensely. It's much faster-paced, much less stressful and more casual, but I can still participate in almost everything I did before. 

Edited by Ensign Cthulhu
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

I actually got burned out on constant Randoms back in 2018 - specifically this thing: https://worldofwarships.com/fr/news/general-news/june-missions-2018/ 

So I became a co-op main, with reversion to Randoms when it suited my purposes (missions that couldn't be done any other way; finishing off grinds with full boosters in a higher-XP context). The fact that WG brought in Directives at that point and opened the field to co-op in a way that hadn't been seen before helped immensely. It's much faster-paced, much less stressful and more casual, but I can still participate in almost everything I did before. 

Co-op is definitely the stress free zone...

...though it is the most repetitive mode to me. I can't do it all the time without getting bored.

It is the answer to getting Tilted by what WG does with randoms though. Great to wash away the bad feelings.

• Like 3

By pacing myself.  I play when I want to play.  I don't play when I don't want to.  Removing the compulsive nature of it did wonders, though I admit I have had a more intense relationship with this game than most.

I will ditto @Daniel_Allan_Clark's suggestion that you need to stick with what you find enjoyable.  I have a handful of ships I love to play and those are the ones I plug into when the mood hits me.  I keep an eye out on events and game modes that might pique my interest, such as another tier VII Ranked season (tier VII has a lot of amazing ships I enjoy playing and the limited matchmaking is fun and different).

• Like 5

The excitement about WoWS is gone for me. I still like the game, just not really into it. I much prefer other games now but I still play Ships every day. Just a few games in co-op to farm that first crate and call it good. Honestly I keep hoping the game changes or my mind is changed about it, where I can find just a bit of the real fun I had playing it when I started. I stopped playing for a month when they closed the forum and did not miss it one bit (the game, not the forum) even though I have played every single day for like 7 years. I had the impulse to play just out of habit, but not the desire. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Like 3

Yeah... at times it feels like doing a shift at work, I clock in, do my chores, and clock out. To a large part I blame this on becoming too conditioned on the gimmicky time gated events back in the day. I only would do those extremely selectively now, mind you, but the mentality still sticks, in huge contrast thow I felt about this game back in 2017/18 or so.

Of course, it hasn't helped in the slightest that Wargaming has done their best to ruin not just the monetization aspects but actual gameplay as well. None of the major reworks have worked for me, they've all just moved the game into a diametrically opposed direction of where I wanted to the game to go. Now I almost exclusively stick to the sort of content that still permits tactically worthwhile gameplay, the operations.

On the plus side, WG has saved me a huge bundle by reducing my incentive to spend any money on this game.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

The excitement about WoWS is gone for me. I still like the game, just not really into it. I much prefer other games now but I still play Ships every day. Just a few games in co-op to farm that first crate and call it good. Honestly I keep hoping the game changes or my mind is changed about it, where I can find just a bit of the real fun I had playing it when I started. I stopped playing for a month when they closed the forum and did not miss it one bit (the game, not the forum) even though I have played every single day for like 7 years. I had the impulse to play just out of habit, but not the desire.

Amusingly, I didn't play again until this forum opened... as insane as the forum often was, it was integral to the game for me.  Like others have said, frequent breaks... only play when you actually want to.  Don't spend money on stupid stuff (guilty).  The pinging subs were the last straw for me... could have been done so much better, but they just ruin any 'suspension of disbelief' necessary for a good yarn.

Fair winds and following seas!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Well said.  A great many of those whom we still Division with, are mostly in agreement with your summation.  I am playing less and less.  We are playing less and less in RO's in the evenings and we have discussed where to go next.

It's a game that could be great;  but, it is simply going the wrong way. 

• Like 2

Honnestly ?

By playing Endzone, Frostpunk, Cyberpunk2077 (😍) and, above all S.T.A.L.K.E.R (all three games), modded or not.
(non-exhaustive list)

THEN and only then I am able to play WoWs with a bit of serenity. 😁

Still playing  FFA btw, though Operations can be a good thing sometimes.

Edited by Silence_CN
wrong typing :P
  • Like 1

I got into the HuangeHe when the tier 10 gameplay just became too predatory.   It worked well for a bit since it deals with the predatory ships better than most. But even that has gotten old and the tea baggers that play them have gotten better.    At this point it's kinda just waiting for the next good game to come along.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

By pacing myself.  I play when I want to play.  I don't play when I don't want to.  Removing the compulsive nature of it did wonders, though I admit I have had a more intense relationship with this game than most.

I will ditto @Daniel_Allan_Clark's suggestion that you need to stick with what you find enjoyable.  I have a handful of ships I love to play and those are the ones I plug into when the mood hits me.  I keep an eye out on events and game modes that might pique my interest, such as another tier VII Ranked season (tier VII has a lot of amazing ships I enjoy playing and the limited matchmaking is fun and different).

I do like your LWM storage mod in Rimworld.

Thanks for the tips

10 hours ago, Frostbow said:

We all have our reasons for playing or not. It is a very complicated subject, filled with tons of personal preferences that may or may not align with others. All I can say is, if the motivation to play is increasingly becoming low, don't force yourself to rekindle the fire. Let the motivation or the drive to play come back on its own. That way, you will avoid disharmony.

I still play Total War games, because I find them very relaxing. They are old, particularly Total War: Shogun II, but they give me the enjoyment I am looking for when I have the time to play PC games. I thought of revisiting Supreme Commander, but eventually decided not to, when I remembered how tedious that game can become.

Each Tier has something special. It is just that what one might find particularly fun in Tier VII may not necessarily translate to the same fun in higher tiers, say Tier X. I particularly enjoy using tech tree ships to destroy premium ships, especially those very expensive ones like the ARP Yamato, in Random Battles. It is like, "Hey, I have a 14-point captain on the Castilla, and I just sunk your shiny ARP Yamato. You happy with your purchase?" 😄 

And when I check their stats, I find they are relatively new players, usually with less than 500 Random Battles in total. I hope they were not thinking "What the hell is wrong with this expensive ship I purchased for Doubloons!" when their premium ship got burned to death because they played poorly. 😄 

How WG monetizes the game is their own choice and decision. I learned early on that the only way to I can truly enjoy World of Warships is to focus on my own strengths and weaknesses and to cut the chains of FOMO. 

I agree. The fun is there, it has never left the game, it is just a matter of viewing it from a different perspective every now and then. And it can also be found by playing without spending any money. 😄

6 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Co-op is definitely the stress free zone...

...though it is the most repetitive mode to me. I can't do it all the time without getting bored.

It is the answer to getting Tilted by what WG does with randoms though. Great to wash away the bad feelings.

For both of you, I tried coop and operations but it feels like stealing candy from a baby with no real challenge 😕 . I play for the PVP in tier 10. 

6 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

Wish I could like Co op.. Feels very boring. 

Thanks all for the replies minus that one guy that always sleepy reacts my post. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Folded_1000_Times said:

Thanks all for the replies minus that one guy that always sleepy reacts my post. 

Perhaps it's timezone related or jet lag?

If I didn't recommend ops already, I usually do, let me recommend ops.

2 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Perhaps it's timezone related or jet lag?

If I didn't recommend ops already, I usually do, let me recommend ops.

Haha,

No i think thats just his thing!

I do enjoy Ops on occasion. I wish they would make tier 10 ones. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kalishnikat said:

Never play above tier 4 and it's all magically fun again

Yeah, the core gameplay really works best with ships launched before 1925.

As I've said before, I almost exclusively play Ops and coop at this point ... I only occasionally venture into randoms for potential damage missions and into ranked for defense ribbons as those two requirements are fairly challenging in coop.

Edited by CFagan_1987

I went through a period where the conduct of other players and the gloom-and-doom crowd on the Forums did, indeed, make me question continuing to play.  In particular the seeming lack of understanding of players who should already know the answers to what they were complaining about.

Then the Official Forums closed, and I refused to add another Discord channel to what is already a mess and just let go.  I found that I was enjoying the game once more, no longer worried about what other people were saying, what other people thought, or if other players had a clue.  I played the game like I played it when it first went live, enjoying each match for itself, fighting each ship as I knew to, and giving the clueless players their just rewards.  I no longer worried if anyone understood how to play their ships, the griping of other players for anything that didn't agree with their own view of what the game should be, or the baggage of mudslinging that some players seem to have as their only existence online.

So, my advice is to not hold onto what other players are doing.  Play the game for your own enjoyment and don't worry about such community values as win rate or kill stealing, and just play each battle on your own terms.  When you've had enough, take a break and go get lunch and come back once you feel another chance to beat the odds is something you want.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I must be a simple soul, COOP is plenty fine for me. Throw in a very occasional Op and a Ranked season, if it's something like 1 v 1. Asymmetric battles were good, but I found them a little nerve racking. Occasionally I'll say screw it and only play 3 or 4 games and go do and something more worldly.

I have around 11,000 games since beta testing (I was one of the CBT's) and Ive taken many, many breaks....days, weeks...even months off. 

I play OP's mostly, but even then people do stupid things, suicide missions even when you have some form of repair capability. I get frustrated with T6's coming into Ops, most ppl just arent good enough to run a T6 ship in an OP.

• Like 1