PTS Frame rates

Efros

Didn't see any section for PTS posts but this may be of general interests if it carries over to the live server. I've been playing a few games on the PTS server, hosted somewhere far away, and get the usual 100 ms pings or thereabouts. What has surprised me over the last few days has been the FPS being reported. Normally on the live server I see around 175 fps pretty consistently, on PTS it is reporting close to 240 all of the time.

Edited by Efros

2 hours ago, Efros said:

Didn't see any section for PTS posts but this may be of general interests if it carries over to the live server. I've been playing a few games on the PTS server, hosted somewhere far away, and get the usual 100 ms pings or thereabouts. What has surprised me over the last few days has been the FPS being reported. Normally on the live server I see around 175 fps pretty consistently, on PTS it is reporting close to 240 all of the time.

Well...I can  tell you that PTS has a VERY different look and feel  (as perspective) vs the regular servers. NEVER was able to replicate it on the regulars,  no matter what I did (tho I REALLY tried, even by messing with the config files and almost getting a ban for it). At least that was the case back when I played on.

By virtue of my (lets say former) job, I'm very apprehensive of seemingly minuscule artsy details, which actually could make a huge difference. 

2 hours ago, Efros said:

Compare your PTS graphics settings to your live client graphics settings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Utt_Bugglier said:

Compare your PTS graphics settings to your live client graphics settings.

Identical, same result 170ish on live server and 240ish on PTS

PTS

WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2023_10.01-04_27_56_76.png.a1573775302bc5757d338980fa366d7a.png  WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2023_10.01-04_27_47_36.png.1f18c772be9c02326d8aec6ffb7c59aa.png

Live server

WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2023_10.01-04_44_27_17.png.8bbd93a0eca726ff66998b4fbe767b80.png  WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2023_10.01-04_44_20_02.png.79845765d3ccda3390a35e6ee59e8471.png

• Thanks 1

175 fps tells me that you are connecting to a server some distance away (barring any other explanations), like roughly from EU to Singapore or so. Where exactly are the PTS servers located, BTW?

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

175 fps tells me that you are connecting to a server some distance away (barring any other explanations), like roughly from EU to Singapore or so. Where exactly are the PTS servers located, BTW?

I'm a bit confused.
Frames-Per-Second, or FPS, is an indicator of how well one's computer is running the game (as I understand it).  Better hardware = better performance.
But, lag, measured in milliseconds, is an indicator of how well one's computer is communicating with the game server (as I understand it).

So a high FPS number indicates a good gaming system, but a high ping/lag number indicates slow internet service or a lot of distance between the player and the server or some sort of extra demand on the communication lines between the server and one's gaming computer.

Example:  I can get ping/lag times of 35ms to 45ms, unless my Wife turns on the television and begins watching a TV show or a movie.
Because our home set-up to only have internet and our television is using a ROKU device to stream entertainment via our internet connection.
Thus, gaming + television usage = WOWs ping/lag times of 50 to 999+ms in our situation, due to demands upon our internet bandwidth.

So, how can 175 FPS indicate a distant server?

11 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So, how can 175 FPS indicate a distant server

It doesn't. I think the admiral ate the wrong kind of cookies...

or I need to have some.

• Haha 1

Yeah ping is a measure of that, although other stuff can mess up the reliability of ping. I suspect the PTS version of WoWS has some graphical optimization that the Live server does not have as yet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I'm a bit confused.
Frames-Per-Second, or FPS, is an indicator of how well one's computer is running the game (as I understand it).  Better hardware = better performance.
But, lag, measured in milliseconds, is an indicator of how well one's computer is communicating with the game server (as I understand it).

So a high FPS number indicates a good gaming system, but a high ping/lag number indicates slow internet service or a lot of distance between the player and the server or some sort of extra demand on the communication lines between the server and one's gaming computer.

Example:  I can get ping/lag times of 35ms to 45ms, unless my Wife turns on the television and begins watching a TV show or a movie.
Because our home set-up to only have internet and our television is using a ROKU device to stream entertainment via our internet connection.
Thus, gaming + television usage = WOWs ping/lag times of 50 to 999+ms in our situation, due to demands upon our internet bandwidth.

So, how can 175 FPS indicate a distant server?

10 minutes ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

It doesn't. I think the admiral ate the wrong kind of cookies...

or I need to have some.

Er... oops, I must have mixed up fps and ping somehow. Maybe this is why I flunked programming.....

Back to the cookies...image.gif.471100aafc91c66a81c9f50ff5f3cccd.gif

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Efros said:

Yeah ping is a measure of that, although other stuff can mess up the reliability of ping. I suspect the PTS version of WoWS has some graphical optimization that the Live server does not have as yet.

Hmmm.   Food for thought?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:
3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Hmmm.   Food for thought?

Er... oops, I must have mixed up fps and ping somehow. Maybe this is why I flunked programming.....

Back to the cookies...image.gif.471100aafc91c66a81c9f50ff5f3cccd.gif

That is food for thought.

• Like 2