Jump to content

Mecklenburg. Don't see them every often.......


Col_NASTY

Recommended Posts

I got her a while back but was having too much fun with my Schlieffen at the time to even outfit her.

Well I put R von Jutland at the helm at 21 points and still haven't spent too much time in her.

As I mentioned , I don't see them out in the wild often if ever.

Anyone out there having fun with her?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

I got her a while back but was having too much fun with my Schlieffen at the time to even outfit her.

Well I put R von Jutland at the helm at 21 points and still haven't spent too much time in her.

As I mentioned , I don't see them out in the wild often if ever.

Anyone out there having fun with her?

 

I play mine in Operations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

To be fair, that pretty much describes the entire original German BB line post commander skill rework…

Thats correct, "you can do it but its suboptimal" applies to all but a VERY few BBs regularly built for secondaries in the game. This one is "dude, just no". Thats the difference I was pointing out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Bilgus said:

Mecklenburg seems to me to have the tightest dispersion of any of the German BB’s, at least at range. 

It does. 
Preussen has 266m dispersion, 1.8 sigma at 20.6km with 8 guns. 
 

Schlieffen has 214m, 1.7 sigma at 19.81 with 8 guns. 
 

Mecklenburg has 232m, 2.05 sigma at 21.97km with 16 guns. 
 

Twice as many guns, and another 2 sigma means way better salvos. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have my Mecklenberg set up for longer range battles, not set up as a secondary ship. Works well that way. The amount of guns along with the better accuracy makes it quite capable of longer range engagements compared to other German BBs. I take it out at least once a week because I prefer cruiser play more than BB play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2023 at 4:35 PM, Col_NASTY said:

I got her a while back but was having too much fun with my Schlieffen at the time to even outfit her.

Well I put R von Jutland at the helm at 21 points and still haven't spent too much time in her.

As I mentioned , I don't see them out in the wild often if ever.

Anyone out there having fun with her?

 

It's a rubbish ship

  • Sad 1
  • Bored 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen it in CB play, since it's very good at punishing cruisers and DD's at range. More a British BB with armour than a German BB. Like most BB's with torps, they are a trap, and should not be used except "in extremis".

When I'm playing a DD in clan battles I HATE seeing this ship on he other side. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

305mm guns on a bb, meh secondaries. It's useless

Secondary builds are largely suboptimal, even on ships that most players build for secondaries. They screw dispersion (Meck has excellent dispersion, downgrading it is a Bad Thing) and make the ship a damage pinata. 

The point of a battleship is the main armament. Everybody loves AI and WG has been indulging this with creeping secondary performance, but its not to the point that its better than aiming the main guns and being able to tank damage, with a very very few exceptions that seem to at least break even with a tank build. 

  • Bored 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, Col_NASTY said:

I got her a while back but was having too much fun with my Schlieffen at the time to even outfit her.

Well I put R von Jutland at the helm at 21 points and still haven't spent too much time in her.

As I mentioned , I don't see them out in the wild often if ever.

Anyone out there having fun with her?

 

Haven't played it in Randoms but run it in Co-op fairly often. I got it after the 2nd Puerto Rico dockyard. I had the OG ship from the 1st one so used the coupon I got for the Steel to get Mecklenburg. It is a decent ship. Rear turret angles are absolutely atrocious however and is my biggest gripe with it.

Image1.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

26 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Secondary builds are largely suboptimal, even on ships that most players build for secondaries.

This is true.

27 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Everybody loves AI and WG has been indulging this with creeping secondary performance

Can’t say I agree with this bit. WG nerfed secondary performance overall with the captain skill rework. Whoever came up with that change must be pretty satisfied, having significantly reduced the ability of every ship in the game to put secondary fire on targets at range in exchange for some pretty fireworks firing off the opposite side of the ship and having convinced a lot of players that it was an improvement.

Of course, the real reason for the change was to keep the high tier German CCs that were in the pipeline from being too overtuned (and even then Schlieffen had her secondaries nerfed shortly after release). The price for the German CC line was that every other ship’s secondary performance suffered to make it happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

 

This is true.

Can’t say I agree with this bit. WG nerfed secondary performance overall with the captain skill rework. Whoever came up with that change must be pretty satisfied, having significantly reduced the ability of every ship in the game to put secondary fire on targets at range in exchange for some pretty fireworks firing off the opposite side of the ship and having convinced a lot of players that it was an improvement.

Of course, the real reason for the change was to keep the high tier German CCs that were in the pipeline from being too overtuned (and even then Schlieffen had her secondaries nerfed shortly after release). The price for the German CC line was that every other ship’s secondary performance suffered to make it happen.

Thats true with respect to the commander rework; I was referring to the performance of the ships' baseline stats. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pugilistic said:

Thats true with respect to the commander rework; I was referring to the performance of the ships' baseline stats. 

And “baseline” secondaries have always been awful - skill and module investment have always been needed to get any level of effective performance from them, to the point that if one doesn’t invest in them they might as well not exist. We’ve gotten some ships that have better on-paper baseline secondary stats (all post-rework), but the skills that boosted those secondaries were noticeably nerfed before their introduction as well.

Basically, yes, the German CCs are very effective secondary-focused ships with their good guns, dispersion, torpedoes, speed, and concealment, but they also are very optimized for that role in a way that was never present before. Every other ship, from German BBs to French BBs and even the occasional IJN BB that some people are crazy enough to build for secondaries have noticeably less efficient secondary builds than they used to because of the reduced dispersion buff and the new “ramp-up” mechanic that accompanied the skill rework.

Thus, WG is only only introducing “creeping secondary performance” if one takes a short-term view. They effectively nerfed secondaries as a whole before introducing any of these new ships, effectively rewriting the standards of what “good” secondaries are. And from a business perspective this makes perfect sense, as now that can introduce new content that players will grind/pay for to get a similar experience/effective performance as before.

Edited by Nevermore135
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

305mm guns on a bb, meh secondaries. It's useless

Fair point on the main guns. That’s kinda balanced by having 16 of them with good dispersion though. Small caliber also helps from overpenning cruisers. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.