Great tips for maybe being more fluent in Japanese

Admiral_Karasu

I maybe came across some great tips on how to make yourself eee.... appear more fluent in Japanese. Maybe. You only need 5 simple expressions to maximally boost your Japanese language skills to... uhm... near perfection, apparently.

Japanese is, of course, what you will need to be able to reliably communicate with Japanese persons. English is what you use to reliably miscommunicate with the Japanese persons. English is the 1st foreign language in Japan, what they principally will rely on when talking with gaijin-san. Should the eventuality arise, and if it cannot be avoided....

In most parts of the world, except the Anglophone sphere, that is, for reasons that are understandable in their own right, English is the most important foreign languages. The 2nd foreign languages, typically German, Spanish, French, Russian,  Chinese and Korean are needed to fluently remain silent when talking to foreigners.

Learning languages is fun, at least until you hit the hard core material, and I would recommend that as a simple passtime for everyone.

Here is the link to the How To Pretend To Speak Fluent Japanese with 5 easy to remember ways to do it. It even covers what to (not) say when your friend's pet beetle maybe has passed away.

Daijoubu?

Admiral_Karasu

who, despite any rumors to the contrary, sadly is not a famous Japanese actor... nor an infamous one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Meanwhile, I've been watching anime with english subtitles.
I've gotten to the point of being able to spot translation variances compared with the literal meaning of some Japanese words.
My speaking/listening vocabulary is small, though.

Yoishi!  Gambatte!  Ja na!  🙂 

52 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Meanwhile, I've been watching anime with english subtitles.
I've gotten to the point of being able to spot translation variances compared with the literal meaning of some Japanese words.
My speaking/listening vocabulary is small, though.

Yoishi!  Gambatte!  Ja na!  🙂 

Oh, dear Lord, just don't don't try to learn Japanese by learning Anime Japanese. image.gif.7dfcb7cd44aa7c66a4c8bcdd8bd9d5f0.gif

Did some googling for you... both ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK_3fj_f1Yk

OR....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyKq-onzS44

• Haha 1

As a Japanese American, just talking the language and hearing it.

Anime is not a good help, since it makes caricatures of the language, so to speak. Everything is over exaggerated in anime. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 10:20 PM, Folded_1000_Times said:

Anime is not a good help, since it makes caricatures of the language, so to speak. Everything is over exaggerated in anime. 

Well.. I agree that one should not try to use anime to learn Japanese, but if you like anime for what it is, and want to learn Japanese, my recommendation is learn Japanese first and then watch anime.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 3:20 PM, Folded_1000_Times said:

On 10/3/2023 at 4:10 PM, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well.. I agree that one should not try to use anime to learn Japanese, but if you like anime for what it is, and want to learn Japanese, my recommendation is learn Japanese first and then watch anime.

Wakari-mas-su.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...