CVN 65 question

Lord_Slayer

So I was going through Google maps and came upon Newport News shipping.

The 'Big E' is fairly distinct and easy to locate. But as I looked at it, I noticed something I hadn't seen in the usual images of decommissioned CVs.

Given the shape an quantity, I have a likely idea what they are, but I figured I'd post the image here as well for the many ship-minded here:

image.thumb.png.e5344fcd29384321ab81cafac600db6a.png

Starting just aft of her bow jet deflectors and ending about even with her conning tower, are 4 sets of 2 squares cut or set into the deck. They are also within painted markings on the deck

Would I be correct in assuming that these squares are the tops of containment vessels for the ships reactors?

• 2 months later...

No, beneath the flight deck is a hangar bay, and beneath that hangar bay is the second deck.

I was on an A4W, much different design but the concept is the same, the top of containment is below decks

While the Enty does have 8 reactors, I'm not sure of their spacing, those 8 patches very well may have been cut to remove them them via rigging though.

Edited by PauseForEffect
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2023 at 10:37 AM, PauseForEffect said:

No, beneath the flight deck is a hangar bay, and beneath that hangar bay is the second deck.

I was on an A4W, much different design but the concept is the same, the top of containment is below decks

While the Enty does have 8 reactors, I'm not sure of their spacing, those 8 patches very well may have been cut to remove them them via rigging though.

Let me clarify my question a bit more.

I found a picture off Wikipedia showing the USS Virginia (CGN-38) having her reactors removed. I am aware she had 2 reactors onboard.

In the picture, you can see the hull and in place of the superstructure, you can see 2 large 'containment vessels' according to the description. I am imagining these are in place to lift out the reactors?

image.thumb.png.f7e6828525d87dda2af66c73e471de4d.png

Given the size of those vessels, and then looking back at the Enterprise photo I initially posted, could those eight squares be the tops of the containment vessels for the reactors, and that most of those vessels are hidden due to the 'depth' from the flight deck down to the actual reactors?

@Lord_Slayer I am guessing that precautions are taken to prevent observation and intelligence gathering of sensitive portions of the ship(s) being scrapped.
Otherwise a satellite from an unfriendly nation might create the diplomatic equivalent of the following sentiment?  🙂 
spacer.png