Low Tiers I'd Like to See

Emden 1939 

SMS Blucher

IJN Tsukuba

SMS Scharnhorst

I know will never happen due to WG's disdain for low tiers and  history...but it would be cool

1280px-Gezicht_op_Lissabon_met_een_oorlogsschip_in_de_haven,_Bestanddeelnr_191-0201.jpg

Scharnhorst2.jpg

1280px-Tsukuba_(1907)_1.jpg

1920px-SMS_Blucher_circa_1914.png

Edited by Kalishnikat

It's SUCH a missed opportunity on Wargaming's part that they abandoned low tiers.  The last tier IV premium we got was in November of 2015.  No, I'm not kidding.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Top of my list is SMS Seydlitz, veteran of Dogger Bank and Jutland and the ship that just refused to die. After she was scuttled at Scapa Flow, she proved just as stubborn in death as she was in life: the first attempt to refloat and salvage her resulted in her promptly sinking again and wrecking most of the salvage equipment for good measure.

Seydlitz in port after Jutland:

D7DB7159-9291-4C43-8A76-FC4A11552F0C.thumb.webp.07d655315c3e65d00f70919166b18586.webp

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 3

Funny with a Russian ship having a Swedish name. But, yes... if only WoWS had 'started' a little earlier, we could have had all those interesting early pre-dreadnaughts and dreadnaughts properly represented in the game. Don't get me started on this, though, because then it becomes apparent that WG could and should have done so many other things more properly.

In addition, we could have had a Hizen too. So much more interesting to see real ships rather than just the sort of fantasy paper ships WG kept pulling from their inexhaustible supply of the Lesta Cafeteria Napkin Cabinet offerings.

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

5 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

It's SUCH a missed opportunity on Wargaming's part that they abandoned low tiers.  The last tier IV premium we got was in November of 2015.  No, I'm not kidding.

WG ignoring lower tiers is nothing new, Even before world of warships they had this idea stuck in their head that anything below t5 is a waste and should not be encouraged. Events, missions, new ships, balance changes etc.. is all aimed towards the higher tiers.

odds are their line of thinking is "we cant charge the same for a t3 ship than a t9 one neither we can make them as expensive to encourage the use of prem time" so they see no value in lower tiers. 

funny thing is they are sitting on a gold mine and they dont realise. They could alow lower tiers to participate in all events and misisons aswell as sell iconic low tier ships with special earnings to commander like a permanent 250% for the price of a t9 prem ship and it will be a win win for everyone. newcomers and seasoned players get to enjoy lower tiers and grind thier captains and WG gets lots of $$$   without devaluating higher tiers that will still remain the best choice for earning exp and completing missions.

back to topic, the one i want to see San Giorgio (picture is before the 1940 refit)

giorgio.thumb.jpg.6853cda45334456f0cea3ccb8330a325.jpg

after the 1940 refit

spacer.png

San Giorgio in 1940

2 twin 254 mm (10.0 in)/45 guns

4 twin 190 mm (7.5 in)/45 guns

4 x 2 100 mm (4 in) / 47 caliber dual purpose guns

1 x 1 100 mm (4 in) / 47 caliber dual purpose gun on the forecastle

6 x 1 Breda 37 mm (1.5 in) AA guns

6 x 2 Breda Model 35 20 mm (0.79 in) AA guns

7 x 2 Breda Model 31 13.2 mm (0.52 in) AA machine guns

Armor

Belt: 200 mm 

Gun turrets: 160–200 mm 

Deck: 50 mm 

Conning tower: 254 mm

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Like 3

All three are interesting ships, and would be good to have in WoWS... in only....

Rurik is an interesting case, perhaps even more than the two pre-dreadnaught battleships from a technical point of view.

This is from Wikipedia:

Despite the appearance of more powerful battlecruisers before her completion, Rurik is generally considered to have been a very good design. Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships states that Rurik was "the best large ship laid down for the Russian Navy up to 1905 and one of the best armored cruisers ever built."[3] Anthony Watts concurs, describing her as "one of the finest armoured cruisers ever built."[4]

'He' was the battleship of Admiral von Essen, and took part in the Battle of the Åland Islands which, perhaps, might have made a good basis for a low tier operation. I prefer to see historical ships, and prefer to have operations based, loosely or less loosely, on historical battle scenarios, especially if they are done as well as the erstwhile Operation Dynamo was.

8 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

odds are their line of thinking is "we cant charge the same for a t3 ship than a t9 one neither we can make them as expensive to encourage the use of prem time" so they see no value in lower tiers. 

They do this in all their games, and it's stupid. It's what killed WoWP, really -  high tier planes from the Jet Age... they were never going to be as popular as the classic piston-driven planes from early WW2. Perhaps someone has made the ultimate WW1 dogfighting game, filled with Sopwith Pups, SPADs and Fokker triplanes: anyone played such a thing?

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

They do this in all their games, and it's stupid. It's what killed WoWP, really -  high tier planes from the Jet Age... they were never going to be as popular as the classic piston-driven planes from early WW2. Perhaps someone has made the ultimate WW1 dogfighting game, filled with Sopwith Pups, SPADs and Fokker triplanes: anyone played such a thing?

one can only wonder how much money WG could make if they decide to sell the french hotels

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

one can only wonder how much money WG could make if they decide to sell the french hotels

Even more if they started collecting rent.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

WG could come out with 1 or 2 other completely different ship era tier 1-10's.   Tall ships, those things.  but they would need 5 times the population so it's kinda not gonna happen.

1 minute ago, WES_HoundDog said:

WG could come out with 1 or 2 other completely different ship era tier 1-10's.   Tall ships, those things.  but they would need 5 times the population so it's kinda not gonna happen.

or pull a jagger trick and make them tier 9 😄

23 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Well.. Red Baron? There was the original, and then the newer version which used Voodoo 3dfx graphics and... that was a great WW1 fighter simulation, but as the 3dfx graphics cards were phased out... it began to look like crap, sadly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Well.. Red Baron? There was the original, and then the newer version which used Voodoo 3dfx graphics and... that was a great WW1 fighter simulation, but as the 3dfx graphics cards were phased out... it began to look like crap, sadly.

Played the original...it was a really good game for the time.

• Like 2

Sorry, but low tiers are crud. If WG is going to spend the resources to put new ships in the game, they should stick to tier 8 and up. There are tons of better historical sims out there for you history buffs than wows. 

• Bored 6

1 hour ago, Type_93 said:

Sorry, but low tiers are crud. If WG is going to spend the resources to put new ships in the game, they should stick to tier 8 and up. There are tons of better historical sims out there for you history buffs than wows. 

Don't come crying to us about paper ships and planes and subs then.

The BB/CL/DD meta existed from 1900-1925.

After that, planes and subs became important parts of naval warfare.

After 1940, planes and subs are the DOMINANT weapons of naval warfare.

Heck, navies were using helicopters in 1943, guided munitions in 1944...missiles would be the late 1940s. Tier 10 and tier 11 are definitely heading into the Jet and Missile age.

That is the future of World of Warships, I bet.

14 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Tier 10 and tier 11 are definitely heading into the Jet and Missile age.

German Carrier with Tactical Fritz X squadron confirmed! (I doubt even Wg would be able to get away with that). 

2 hours ago, Type_93 said:

This is a popular misconception from those who don't play low tiers. Low tiers are fun and competitive. It's very much like brawls. You clear up the bots then it's a game between 2 or 3 humans on each team, who are usually devoted low tier players. The games are fun, very few blow outs, sometimes challenging. I've got 20k+ games played at all tiers. Now I play exclusively tiers 2 to 4. I don't want or need any prizes or rewards. I've got tons of credits for any signals I might want. We have a good low tier community with friendly players. It's like an entirely different world down there. While I would like some other ships, I'm glad WG ignores us down there, given their track record of F-ing things up. 

30 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

German Carrier with Tactical Fritz X squadron confirmed! (I doubt even Wg would be able to get away with that). 

Personally, I think helicopters are coming for super ships...

...jet fighters...

Some of the crude anti-ship missiles...

...some of the rocket based ASW...

So much content that fits the bill for tiers 10-12...

21 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

So much content that fits the bill for tiers 10-12...

Tier 12 could be all manner of fun... but it wouldn't have many battleships. As a class, they are done  by that point. Missile boats, Super DDs, Cruiser Destroyers, CVs with small squads of jet planes and submarines done properly.... that's how it should go. 

On 9/22/2023 at 8:57 PM, pepe_trueno said:

WG ignoring lower tiers is nothing new, Even before world of warships they had this idea stuck in their head that anything below t5 is a waste and should not be encouraged. Events, missions, new ships, balance changes etc.. is all aimed towards the higher tiers.

funny thing is they are sitting on a gold mine and they dont realise. They could alow lower tiers to participate in all events and misisons aswell as sell iconic low tier ships with special earnings to commander like a permanent 250% for the price of a t9 prem ship and it will be a win win for everyone. newcomers and seasoned players get to enjoy lower tiers and grind thier captains and WG gets lots of $$$   without devaluating higher tiers that will still remain the best choice for earning exp and completing missions.

back to topic, the one i want to see San Giorgio (picture is before the 1940 refit)

giorgio.thumb.jpg.6853cda45334456f0cea3ccb8330a325.jpg

after the 1940 refit

spacer.png

San Giorgio in 1940

2 twin 254 mm (10.0 in)/45 guns

4 twin 190 mm (7.5 in)/45 guns

4 x 2 100 mm (4 in) / 47 caliber dual purpose guns

1 x 1 100 mm (4 in) / 47 caliber dual purpose gun on the forecastle

6 x 1 Breda 37 mm (1.5 in) AA guns

6 x 2 Breda Model 35 20 mm (0.79 in) AA guns

7 x 2 Breda Model 31 13.2 mm (0.52 in) AA machine guns

Armor

Belt: 200 mm 

Gun turrets: 160–200 mm 

Deck: 50 mm 

Conning tower: 254 mm

Exactly ... I have a ton of lower tier premiums that I got years ago and I never play. They can't be used in scenarios and they rarely count towards missions and events which are usually tier 5+. I even sold most of my tech tree ships from below tier 5 as well but I've been buying back a select few to get my fleet to over 300 ships for the bonus rewards during events (currently have 276 ships).

Edited by CFagan_1987

couple days old post and no one mentioned the russian Novgorod? i am disapointed

popovship002-4-1629313429.jpeg?crop=1.00

Novgorod-ironclad.jpg?resize=700,471&ssl

Armament 2 × 279 mm rifled muzzle-loading guns

Armour

Belt: 178–229 mm

Barbette: 178–229 mm

Deck: 70 mm

On 9/24/2023 at 12:26 PM, Type_93 said:

Low tiers are crud (to many) because WG made the ships perform horribly AND they have purposefully blocked them out of 99.99% of missions, events, daily crates, etc....

If WG were ever to improve the performance of these ships and allow them to qualify for things I guarantee more people would play them. Maybe not you, which is fine, but tons of people would. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1