CHANGES TO TEST SHIPS - PUBLIC TEST 12.9

Clodenjoy

1 hour ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

i would really like to know for what resource.

"For this event, we are introducing a new resource: Salt Tokens. To earn one Salt Token, you must destroy an enemy ship with a single broadside or torpedo salvo such that you take all of its health at once without detonation and the opponent must not have spotted you. 666 Salt Tokens will earn you Kitakami." 😜

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

Interesting, if they actually release Kitakami this time, i would really like to know for what resource.

One way or another it will like cost you karma points. 

But on a more serious note, if TPTB wanted to increase Kitakami's survivability they would put her on a tier appropriate hull.

Edited by HamptonRoads
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

"For this event, we are introducing a new resource: Salt Tokens. To earn one Salt Token, you must destroy an enemy ship with a single broadside or torpedo salvo such that you take all of its health at once without detonation and the opponent must not have spotted you. 666 Salt Tokens will earn you Kitakami." 😜

This is an excellent idea.

I love it!

13 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Also, boosting the USN CVs fighters will make me be regrinding the line, I think...

Why regrind? It's going to be a totally new alt line. Those fighters are going to be an interesting tool, although remember that Interceptor will still be bad, because you won't be able to knock enemy fighters being used as spotters down with Interceptor. The other three fighter skills will be really good with Essex and Yorktown.

24 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

Why regrind? It's going to be a totally new alt line. Those fighters are going to be an interesting tool, although remember that Interceptor will still be bad, because you won't be able to knock enemy fighters being used as spotters down with Interceptor. The other three fighter skills will be really good with Essex and Yorktown.

I'm going to need to grind a new captain. I don't yet see a tier 6 in the alt line, so I may have to regrind a new captain on Ranger...I only have one 21 point captain (thanks captain skill rework... 😞 ), so my ability to just boost a captain from scratch is somewhat limited.

I'm familiar with the fighter skills as I have a Bearn that I am also grinding a captain upon.

I much prefer the air defense style CV than the strike only CV (I joined during the RTS days to play USN AS CV).

3 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I'm going to need to grind a new captain. I don't yet see a tier 6 in the alt line, so I may have to regrind a new captain on Ranger...I only have one 21 point captain (thanks captain skill rework... 😞 ), so my ability to just boost a captain from scratch is somewhat limited.

I'm familiar with the fighter skills as I have a Bearn that I am also grinding a captain upon.

I much prefer the air defense style CV than the strike only CV (I joined during the RTS days to play USN AS CV).

Independence is going to be the tier 6. It just isn't in testing yet. They mention it in the initial devblog where Yorktown is first revealed as comiing to testing later.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, _KlRlTO_ said:

Independence is going to be the tier 6. It just isn't in testing yet. They mention it in the initial devblog where Yorktown is first revealed as comiing to testing later.

Unfortunately, yes, as it is the cheapest path forward for WG in these trying financial times…

I would much rather see a more coherent line of Wasp -> Yorktown -> Essex with Independence as a premium (or possibly held in reserve for a future line of cruiser-conversion CV(L)s) but that was never really going to happen.

I still think it’s silly that the devs haven’t buffed Essex’s deck armor. She was a damage piñata for any attentive BB player in the last round of Concealed Maneuvers.

Edited by Nevermore135

5 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Unfortunately, yes, as it is the cheapest path forward for WG in these trying financial times…

I would much rather see a more coherent line of Wasp -> Yorktown -> Essex with Independence as a premium (or possibly held in reserve for a future line of cruiser-conversion CVs) but that was never really going to happen.

I still think it’s silly that the devs haven’t buffed Essex’s deck armor. She was a damage piñata for any attentive BB player in the last round of Concealed Maneuvers.

If it were me, I would re-organize the tree so that Yorktown went into the Midway line, Lexington went into the Essex line, boost the armor of the Essex line, and give Essex and Lexington enhanced secondaries, like Massachusetts.

Edited by _KlRlTO_

54 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

If it were me, I would re-organize the tree so that Yorktown went into the Midway line, Lexington went into the Essex line, boost the armor of the essex line, and give Essex and Lexington enhanced secondaries, like Masachusetts.

Essex really belongs in the same line as Yorktown, as the former class was built directly based on the latter’s design and were in many ways what the USN wanted to build in the mid 30s but were restricted by treaty limitations. Wasp also fits as a good tier VI because of this shared design lineage, being essentially a diminutive, stripped down Yorktown to Essex’s scaled-up development of the Yorktown-class.

We also really don’t need an American line of secondary-focused CVs. We already have that with the German line (which have the same dispersion as MA and the tier VII+ German CCs while also having enhanced penetration) and that utility is incredibly niche and situational. A meme premium Saratoga with the original 4x2 8” armament would be an interesting addition, though.

Edited by Nevermore135

14 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Essex really belongs in the same line as Yorktown, as the former class was built directly based on the latter’s design and were in many ways what the USN wanted to build in the mid 30s but were restricted by treaty limitations. Wasp also fits as a good tier VI because of this shared design lineage, being essentially a diminutive, stripped down Yorktown to Essex’s scaled-up development of the Yorktown-class.

We also really don’t need an American line of secondary-focused CVs. We already have that with the German line (which have the same dispersion as MA and the tier VII+ German CCs while also having enhanced penetration) and that utility is incredibly niche and situational. A meme premium Saratoga with the original 4x2 8” armament would be an interesting addition, though.

Mostly good points, although as far as Wasp goes, it checks all the boxes for what WG looks for in a premium ship, While Independence meets the standards for what they look for in a tech tree ship. To be honest, American and Japanese carriers don't jump from tier 6 to 8 well because really only the British developed carriers in a way that does. Both the US and Japan went directly from Hosho/Langley to Akagi/Lexington. They both really jumped directly from tier 4 to 8 and went back and picked up tier 6 later.