How do you like playing the old crap for the flakes?

Capt_Kremenski

First off I know you can knock some off without playing them.

Second, I'm a COOP main.

Now that's out the way - per title how do you like some of them rusting hulks you've had sitting in port for donkeys years and haven't played since you got them.

For me it's been a true eye opener, I guess it's because I play the same 10 - 15 ships all the time.

Warspite - good ship, no doubt about it, but in COOP everything is dead by the time you get up to 15 knots! For that matter, any battleship that has a top speed of less than 30 knots.

Reload speed - I mostly play Bourgogne and Repub which both have great reload, playing battleships with 30 sec+ reload is just painful.

Destroyers - yep there's some real rubbish out there (but one mans meat is another mans poison).

Cruisers - as above. Played the Canarias (I seemed to remember this was ok but no torps and AP only?). I don't have a problem with AP only, Fiji, Neptune, Mino, I Allende and Santander (aint that a building society?) are in my most played ship list but at least they have other tools in their box.

• Like 2

I quite enjoy it. At 268 ships in port, give or take a couple, most have been left to pout in port while I take the darlings out. There are ships I was convinced were "rubbish" back then whenever, and it turns out I was the bad player. Huh. Normandie, I am sorrie. But there are some others that still remain a bore. Kansas, OMG. Yes, yes. I know. I've some way to go, I figure.

• Like 1

Having the ability to "not play" some ships with reward points really helps.  There were times when you "had to play them all..." and that, was tedious to be nice.

The interesting part is discovering how much you really like some of the ships you don't play anymore because Operations expanded to Tier 8.  Or, some modes of play, like Asymmetrical Battles were at tier 9.   And, those tier 6 and 7 ships you used to play all of the time sit there....  My Munchen and Fiji are two favorites that simply don't see much use.... 

We've lost so many clan mates that we can't field teams of 7 in RO's anymore.  If we could, we'd have Tier 6 or Tier 7 Nights in RO's.....  Alas, it was fun and then, everyone left.

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

I just start from top tier, head to coop, and work my through the tiers. Occasionally I take a break and go ops instead, but coop is the faster way, and the only way I do it for higher than t8. Not planning on randoms.

• Like 3

I do it by country ... generally I start with the smaller countries (countries for which I don't have alot of ships ie: the British Commonwealth, Pan-America, Pan-European, etc).

I'm at 5,285 tokens and I haven't even gotten to the Americans or the Russians which are my two biggest lines as well as accounting for a big chunk of my dozen or so tier 10s. Nor have I done the Italians, the French, or the Germans.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I just start from top tier, head to coop, and work my through the tiers. Occasionally I take a break and go ops instead, but coop is the faster way, and the only way I do it for higher than t8. Not planning on randoms.

That's the way I do it too and use any extra rewards earned to get rid of the ships I'm not interested in playing. Managed to get all the rewards for subs and carriers that I have as I generally don't play those.

• Like 1

I have nearly everything, and play all of what I have, 627 ships. I enjoyed Pensa, Velikiy, and Krasny Krim just a bit ago; im going back to 7 & 8's later. 

I have finally realized that KK is half a Smolensk at T5, change my mind. 

Im doing it in Randoms. I did the original Puerto Rico grind largely in PvE and swore Id never play another game there, and reneged only for some of the Christmas events before the current 'multiple flake' system was begun. 156 to go. 

Edited by Pugilistic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Capt_Kremenski said:

First off I know you can knock some off without playing them.

Second, I'm a COOP main.

Now that's out the way - per title how do you like some of them rusting hulks you've had sitting in port for donkeys years and haven't played since you got them.

For me it's been a true eye opener, I guess it's because I play the same 10 - 15 ships all the time.

Warspite - good ship, no doubt about it, but in COOP everything is dead by the time you get up to 15 knots! For that matter, any battleship that has a top speed of less than 30 knots.

Reload speed - I mostly play Bourgogne and Repub which both have great reload, playing battleships with 30 sec+ reload is just painful.

Destroyers - yep there's some real rubbish out there (but one mans meat is another mans poison).

Cruisers - as above. Played the Canarias (I seemed to remember this was ok but no torps and AP only?). I don't have a problem with AP only, Fiji, Neptune, Mino, I Allende and Santander (aint that a building society?) are in my most played ship list but at least they have other tools in their box.

I am willing to play all the ships I have in my Port.

When it comes to the lower tier DD's and ships I can't stand, I go into COOP, set a few courses in autopilot, and get myself a coffee.  Come back and repeat.  

• Like 1

The new way is better, but it’s still a drag. It reminds me of a song:

I played warships today oh, boy,

Four hundred ships in all my naval port,

and though the ships were rahhther small,

I had to play them all.

Now I know how many turds it takes to fill the ocean FUUUULLLL!!!!

I’d love to lee-eeaaa—eeeaave thehhhhhm out

Edited by Utt_Bugglier
Typos
  • Haha 3

Earlier tonight, I had a nice game while sailing my Kansas.
Not bad for a slow BB in a Co-op battle.  🙂 

image_2023-09-19_221004188.thumb.png.aa9c30d1894e7cbceca5ea18b7cfae99.png  image_2023-09-19_221155483.thumb.png.92999d4b950315d4fc9c3e631cb59df7.png  shot-23_09.19_22_10.31-0768.thumb.jpg.437f8d8de93d35b893c73cf4c0576d6c.jpg  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

Earlier tonight, I had a nice game while sailing my Kansas.
Not bad for a slow BB in a Co-op battle.  🙂 

image_2023-09-19_221004188.thumb.png.aa9c30d1894e7cbceca5ea18b7cfae99.png  image_2023-09-19_221155483.thumb.png.92999d4b950315d4fc9c3e631cb59df7.png  shot-23_09.19_22_10.31-0768.thumb.jpg.437f8d8de93d35b893c73cf4c0576d6c.jpg  

Normally, the case would be if you take a slow BB into coop when you get to where you think the actions is, all you got left to do is say 'oh you're leaving already...'.

• Confused 1

Part of the fun is picking the ships which are completely beyond the pale and eligible for the bonus tokens, such that you don't have to play them. I'm looking at just about every CV I own. I stress this is due to my complete lack of CV talent.

• Like 1

Start by playing 2-3 coop matches to satisfy the battle pass 1 & 2. 

Play Ops with ships I enjoy for the rest of the daily requirement. Coming out of a 15 minute Op with 3 bonus ships rewards is more engaging than simply coop.  Add the opportunity for the occasional great match and it’s an enjoyable way to work through 340 ship port. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, DoW_ said:

Play Ops with ships I enjoy for the rest of the daily requirement. Coming out of a 15 minute Op with 3 bonus ships rewards is more engaging than simply coop.  Add the opportunity for the occasional great match and it’s an enjoyable way to work through 340 ship port. 

Wait what ops gives you more of those other ship rewards?

I'm taking my usual approach (almost all in Coop; definitely no Randoms):

• T10 (and superships, sadly) first, to hoover up the most efficient rewards - now done.
  • Then work down the tiers; I only really care about getting everything done down to T8, as below that the rewards get mediocre.
  • In terms of what I've been using my 'free' rewards points for, it's anything I don't really want to bother playing for whatever reason e.g. CVs, submarines, and slow BBs (although if I unlock anything new that I don't really want to play, it'll still get at least one battle).

It's quite fun dusting off some old bits and pieces that I might not normally play much...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Wait what ops gives you more of those other ship rewards?

Players with over 200 ships get 2 bonuses if they get more than 800 base XP and players with over 300 get 3 bonuses for 800 base XP.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, DoW_ said:

Downside is you have to win the Op ... these days there's a fairly decent chance of losing Ops especially on weekends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CFagan_1987 said:

Downside is you have to win the Op ... these days there's a fairly decent chance of losing Ops especially on weekends.

So true, i started playing Operations again and  i had some very very bad games the last few days, i was quickly reminded why i stopped playing OPS some time ago, the actions of some of my teammates, omg, don't get me started. :classic_angry:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UnrepentantSinner said:

So true, i started playing Operations again and  i had some very very bad games the last few days, i was quickly reminded why i stopped playing OPS some time ago, the actions of some of my teammates, omg, don't get me started. :classic_angry:

I regularly have Raptor Rescue runs where I'm the only player with the convoy with everyone else out chasing the carriers 😫

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CFagan_1987 said:

I regularly have Raptor Rescue runs where I'm the only player with the convoy with everyone else out chasing the carriers 😫

Happens all the time, in Raptor Rescue everyone goes Carrier hunting and leaves Raptor unprotected, of course they get angry when Raptor is sunk, it's everyones fault but their own. In Narai 4 ships including all the BBS go after the transport ships, what a great idea. what can go wrong? In Killer Whale they have to farm to the last second and don't retreat in time and are surprised when the mission fails.  In Newport, they hide behind the island with the repair ship and watch while the rest of the team gets overwhelmed by the enemy. It gets frustrating pretty fast, not to mention the blue boosters i wasted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know what's funny, there once was a time when it was nearly impossible to get a defeat in ops, apart from Newport which was almost unilaterally hated. Nowadays... you can get a defeat anywhere, but Newport seems to fail less often than the others.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

you can get a defeat anywhere, but Newport seems to fail less often than the others.

True, when we still had weekly Operations, i always skipped the week Newport was on, because it was almost impossible to win with a random team, i think 4 stars was my best result back then. Now after the changes Newport is actually one of the easiest OPS and one i really like.

• Like 2