Food - Pork Jambalaya

Tpaktop2_1 NA

I was talking to my brother the other day and we were discussing old recipes from our youth. One of them is Justin Wilson Fresh Pork and Sausage Jambalaya. I used to do bachelor cooking on Sunday in making at least a weeks worth of food and freeze the rest. 

Serves 12-20

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of olive oil
4 pounds of boneless pork (cut into stew meat-size chunks)
4 pounds of smoked sausage (sliced)
6 cups of chopped onions
2 1/2 cups of chopped bell peppers
2 cups of chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons of chopped garlic
2 cups of dry white wine
2 teaspoons dried mint
Salt and cayenne pepper to taste
1 cup of mild picante sauce
1 cup of steak sauce
12 cups of water
6 cups of uncooked long-grain rice

Instructions:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high fire and brown the pork on all sides, then remove to a plate. 

In the same pot, brown the sausage, then remove from the pot. Add the onions, bell peppers, and parsley to the pot and cook, stirring, over a medium fire until the onions are clear.

Add the remaining ingredients except the meat and rice, bring to a boil, and then add the meat. Bring to a boil again and add the rice.

Cook until most of the water is gone. Cover, reduce the fire to low, and simmer for one hour.

Warning: This is a big recipe. I used a 12 quart pot and had to switch to two 12 quart pots to cook everything. My advice is to cut everything in half for a 12 quart pot. I also used Andouille sausage I got from Costco to add to the flavor instead of regular smoked sausage. 

I now have a weeks worth of left overs for my belly. I'll garantee you will like this stuff. Hoo wee

Edited by Tpaktop2_1 NA
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, Slammer58 said:

My wife and I loved watching Justin Wilson on Saturday afternoons on public tv.  oooo wee!

This.

Loved watching him as a kid; though my attempt at making a fish stew he did fell rather flat. (Later on in life.)

"Add a little wine..." (pours...) "Add a little more..." (drinks...)

10 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This.

Loved watching him as a kid; though my attempt at making a fish stew he did fell rather flat. (Later on in life.)

"Add a little wine..." (pours...) "Add a little more..." (drinks...)

I love the way he pours wine, 1 cup...2cup...2cup...2cup...and some extra

• Like 1