Co-op Bot Submarine Behavior

Taylor3006

Ok just had a bit of a shock. Bot subs have always spawned directly opposite of their human team sub opponent so I always go to the other side of the map to stay away from them. However I have found something new. If a human sub is in a division, this does not always hold true. A match just a few minutes ago had the human sub player in a division on the eastern side of the map, I spawned on the western side so figured I was golden. It was just my DD and a BB where I was so I was happily advancing into the cap, fighting the red bot DD when I got pinged. That little sneaky red underwater cockroach was coming at me from the west, indicating he was on the extreme western edge, opposite me when he spawned in.  I tried to get away from the sub but ended up just colliding with the red bot DD, taking us both out.  It really caught me off guard since this was in the first few minutes of the match. I am used to bot subs following me as I flee from where they spawned, never seen them spawn not opposite of the human team sub player.  I am hoping this is just a thing because of the human sub player being in a division and not some new change on where bots spawn. 

Edited by Taylor3006
  • Like 3

I have noticed the red sub clearly having spawned at a different location to the green sub ... but I hadn't connected it with the green sub being a player.

I'll have to pay more attention to see if it applies to matches where both subs are bots.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

I have noticed the red sub clearly having spawned at a different location to the green sub ... but I hadn't connected it with the green sub being a player.

I'll have to pay more attention to see if it applies to matches where both subs are bots.

This would be the first time and I have seen green bot subs and green human skippered subs played. The only difference this time out was that the human skippered sub was in a division.  Mirrored spawns have been the norm for submarines, they even mentioned that a ways back.  It is when I came up with my strategy to just move away from friendly subs and let them fend for themselves and to avoid interaction with the red subs.

4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

This would be the first time and I have seen green bot subs and green human skippered subs played. The only difference this time out was that the human skippered sub was in a division.  Mirrored spawns have been the norm for submarines, they even mentioned that a ways back.  It is when I came up with my strategy to just move away from friendly subs and let them fend for themselves and to avoid interaction with the red subs.

Seen it a few times when sub is in a division. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure subs are the exception and don't spawn opposite.

I've had several games where our sub is on the east, I'm on the west and guess where the red sub is?

Maybe I'm just a sub magnet as it seems to be no matter where our sub is more often than not I get pinged as I'm storming into the cap, I'll try to get a few replays to back this up.

I've been watching since my last post on this thread ... so far I haven't seen any instance where the bot subs didn't spawn opposite.

That's not to say that they didn't happy, just that I didn't SEE it.

I've been waiting to see sub in a division to see how that works, but haven't been in a match with such a division yet.

That having been said, I have been seeing some cases where bot subs don't just head forward, but start moving towards the middle or other flank. I suspect that WG are playing with the bot AI as it pertains to subs, so it's quite possible they have been playing with the spawn locations as well.

Edited by SunkCostFallacy
typo

Even when I play a sub alone, I have noted that the bot sub will just bugger off to who knows where at times.  Usually it is in front of me, but more often than not it will hightail it to the other side.  It is like the guy that is on the other side of the map was caught sleeping with bot sub's sister or something... Smile_hiding.gif.cdf76a0f483ae27a64003ea79a3bf5ec.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2023 at 1:51 AM, SunkCostFallacy said:

It's WG's way of keeping Co-Op anything but "FUN & ENGAGING" 

I have the impression that player submarines in Co-op are like catnip for the red-team 'Bot surface ships.