Kansas...

MnemonScarlet

It's such a bad ship. I did well in it for awhile, but after a string of bad battles - which to be fair to Kansas, I don't think any ship I could've been in would've saved - I decided to just play it in Bronze Ranked until it was done or I got sick of it. Well, I got sick of it after one battle. And what a battle it was.

shot-23_09.15_16_31.02-0907.thumb.jpg.1aa9ece9d0121ae9860273074e96a5d4.jpgshot-23_09.15_16_31.04-0247.thumb.jpg.aa031aee23a0414786063637267b4117.jpgshot-23_09.15_16_31.29-0115.thumb.jpg.d321e78f7bb41bec0ec2655542a5ca5e.jpg

That got it to 130k exp or so. The rest is now fxp-ed lol. At least Minnesota will have 38mm plating.

• Like 1

You will be sorry you didn't play through it. The lessons learned are necessary in order to drive Minnesota well.

• Like 1

The phat US BB line are just all so slow. You gotta be thinking like 2-3 minutes in advance always. Hard to carry being so slow w/ long reloads. Even with big dmg numbers sometimes just cant recover map control.

mew.jpg

37 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

The phat US BB line are just all so slow. You gotta be thinking like 2-3 minutes in advance always. Hard to carry being so slow w/ long reloads. Even with big dmg numbers sometimes just cant recover map control.

mew.jpg

Yeah, I usually open being pretty aggressive in Kansas, because you have to be to make an impact. I just shoved her up into important zones and tried to force people out or make them pay hard in HP/sink them. In that Ranked game I pretty much followed the two DDs right up to the middle cap, so I caught a lot of attention and scared the enemy BBs from getting very close at first.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Yeah, I usually open being pretty aggressive in Kansas, because you have to be to make an impact. I just shoved her up into important zones and tried to force people out or make them pay hard in HP/sink them. In that Ranked game I pretty much followed the two DDs right up to the middle cap, so I caught a lot of attention and scared the enemy BBs from getting very close at first.

Yah that's probably what I would do in the Kansas. while wishing I had chosen the massachuetts at the menu screen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I actually found the Minnesota grind to be more annoying than the Kansas grind. Kansas’ broadside stands out at tier VIII, Minnesota’s, not so much a tier higher. MN’s lack of speed is also much more heavily felt at tier IX.

Kansas isn’t anywhere near the top my list of favorite tier VIII BBs to play, but she’s not nearly as awful as most players make her out to be. I would take her out for a spin over the likes of V. Veneto, Nebraska, Monarch, and Amagi (4 out of the 10 other tech tree BBs at the tier) in most situations.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2

My Kansas makes CV players real sorry for attacking me and torpedo shooters cry they missed again.

• Haha 1

The Kansas is a wonderful ship to sail when I want to enjoy a nine-course meal in-between main-gun reloads.  🙂

Her camouflage is another of the Art Departments successes.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I actually found the Minnesota grind to be more annoying than the Kansas grind. Kansas’ broadside stands out at tier VIII, Minnesota’s, not so much a tier higher. MN’s lack of speed is also much more heavily felt at tier IX.

Kansas isn’t anywhere near the top my list of favorite tier VIII BBs to play, but she’s not nearly as awful as most players make her out to be. I would take her out for a spin over the likes of V. Veneto, Nebraska, Monarch, and Amagi (4 out of the 10 other tech tree BBs at the tier) in most situations.

Yeah, the one thing about Kansas is she does have a pretty heavy broadside. The fire density was good, even if the accuracy wasn't. The Fusou effect more or less. I'm noticing Minne is basically the same thing gun/shell wise, just Minne's shells are a little heavier. These made-up Colorado/Iowa/whatever they are guns are weird.

I'd probably take Kansas over Veneto (especially pre-buff) and Nebraska, though I like Monarch and Amagi more. My Monarch grind has been pretty painless, I just forgot about the line so it never finished.

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Kansas is a wonderful ship to sail when I want to enjoy a nine-course meal in-between main-gun reloads.  🙂

Her camouflage is another of the Art Departments successes.  🙂

The reload is forever, yeah. I never saw her camo since I just put some generic camo on to make it harder for people to target exactly somewhere on the ship. The ship has such a busy design that most camos actually make it difficult to make out what exactly you're looking at in some places.

4 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

You will be sorry you didn't play through it. The lessons learned are necessary in order to drive Minnesota well.

I played enough to the point where I think I have a pretty good idea of what the Kansas line entails by now, since I was bottom tier a few times and still did ok, and I definitely know how slow battleships work in general.

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Like 1

The slow BB line is for multitaskers. One can cook meals, and then check the mailbox outside, while grinding the Kansas. And you will still have plenty of time left to check the mini map by the time you get back. 😄

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

...I would take her out for a spin over the likes of V. Veneto, Nebraska, Monarch, and Amagi (4 out of the 10 other tech tree BBs at the tier) in most situations.

WUT? 

images.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I'd probably take Kansas over Veneto (especially pre-buff) and Nebraska, though I like Monarch and Amagi more. My Monarch grind has been pretty painless, I just forgot about the line so it never finished.

Monarch is a lot better than she used to be after her range was buffed, but her biggest issue is that both her shell types are pretty mediocre. She doesn’t have super HE like most of the rest of the line (QE being the other notable exception) to go along with her typically British AP shells. However, unlike QE her AP isn’t nearly as powerful for the tier and she doesn’t have improved dispersion.

Every time I play Amagi I find myself wishing she had more range. Her firepower is concentrated to the rear, which lends itself well to kiting, and her typical IJN BB dispersion also encourages play at longer ranges. But sub-20km range at tier VIII makes her feel incredibly awkward, and her outer shell of 32mm plating (something I also dislike about UK and French BBs) doesn’t help either.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

My Kansas makes CV players real sorry for attacking me and torpedo shooters cry they missed again.

meanwhile my kansas

shot-23_07.28_23_51.37-0988.thumb.jpg.859570bdff3bd8e5cf0c60610d35adc3.jpg

Kansas is one of those ships that could  use 2 diferent types of guns, One for brawlers that trade range for 33 seconds reload and one for snipers that has 40 seconds reload but enhaced accuracy. As of now Kansas has a heavy broadside but those guns are not accurate enought to snipe and with 40 seconds reload going for a brawl is plain suicide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

Kansas is one of those ships that could  use 2 diferent types of guns, One for brawlers that trade range for 33 seconds reload and one for snipers that has 40 seconds reload but enhaced accuracy. As of now Kansas has a heavy broadside but those guns are not accurate enought to snipe and with 40 seconds reload going for a brawl is plain suicide.

I play Kansas as bait to keep the enemy shooting at me instead of my teammates and I have the commander heavy on AA skills.  She has a quick rudder and acceleration that helps a lot to avoid torps.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 1:14 PM, Nevermore135 said:

Monarch is a lot better than she used to be after her range was buffed, but her biggest issue is that both her shell types are pretty mediocre. She doesn’t have super HE like most of the rest of the line (QE being the other notable exception) to go along with her typically British AP shells. However, unlike QE her AP isn’t nearly as powerful for the tier and she doesn’t have improved dispersion.

Every time I play Amagi I find myself wishing she had more range. Her firepower is concentrated to the rear, which lends itself well to kiting, and her typical IJN BB dispersion also encourages play at longer ranges. But sub-20km range at tier VIII makes her feel incredibly awkward, and her outer shell of 32mm plating (something I also dislike about UK and French BBs) doesn’t help either.

The AP isn't good, but it's not so bad you can't deal with other BBs at mid-ranges. Mostly the short fuse just hurts dealing with internal belt/spaced armor ships.

Amagi's range isn't good, but you can usually make ~18km work. The trolly armor can be nice on her too. But she was better in old meta than nowadays.

I can't think of many ships I hate more than the Kansas. The Colombo maybe. The Minnesota at least gets access to the accuracy mod in slot 6 and the Vermont gets the same mod plus 12 457mm guns. The Kansas has worse guns than the Colorado IIRC.

On 9/16/2023 at 12:18 AM, MnemonScarlet said:

It's such a bad ship. I did well in it for awhile, but after a string of bad battles - which to be fair to Kansas, I don't think any ship I could've been in would've saved - I decided to just play it in Bronze Ranked until it was done or I got sick of it. Well, I got sick of it after one battle. And what a battle it was.

shot-23_09.15_16_31.02-0907.thumb.jpg.1aa9ece9d0121ae9860273074e96a5d4.jpgshot-23_09.15_16_31.04-0247.thumb.jpg.aa031aee23a0414786063637267b4117.jpgshot-23_09.15_16_31.29-0115.thumb.jpg.d321e78f7bb41bec0ec2655542a5ca5e.jpg

That got it to 130k exp or so. The rest is now fxp-ed lol. At least Minnesota will have 38mm plating.

it also doesnt help that everybody see you as floating pinata when you sail her

I have Kansas built for AA and brawls thusly...

https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASB108&modules=1221&upgrades=111220&commander=PCW001&skills=9472008&consumables=1111&pos=0

Mostly because I forgot close quarters combat skill on BBs only pops when ships are inside your secondary range rather than concealment range like the cruiser skill.

Oops.

Still fun though even with the handicap...and in ops it makes her more usable.

On 9/15/2023 at 4:43 PM, Nevermore135 said:

At least Minnesota can slot MBM3 and reduce that god awful 40 sec reload to 35 sec which makes a HUGE difference. It is a tad more accurate with a bit more alpha over Kansas too. I can stomach playing Minnesota but Kansas? Ugh. I would rather get a prostate exam from King Kong on a day he has a swollen finger than play Kansas. I just won't play Kansas if I can avoid it at all. Hate that thing.

Play Kansas willingly?

simon-cowell-thats-a-no.gif

18 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

At least Minnesota can slot MBM3 and reduce that god awful 40 sec reload to 35 sec which makes a HUGE difference.

*shrug* I play both Minnesota and Vermont with the dispersion mod in slot 6.

• Like 1

You guys misunderstand the Kansas. She’s a six gun ship with 20 sec reload. 😉

Edited by Ocsimano18
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1