Ochakov vs P Bagration for Operations?

CFagan_1987

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to which of two I should get? My understanding is that the Ochakov is similar to the Smolensk but with fewer guns while the P Bagration is closer to a heavy cruiser.

I'd prefer one of the above two ships but I'm also willing to consider the Irian or the Tiger '59.

Edited by CFagan_1987

Of those two, my vote goes slightly toward Bagration, partly because of the heal (which is still useful to have on some ops that don't have a heal circle). The AP alpha is also nice if you can find paths to ensure you get bot cruiser broadsides, but you lose the DPM advantages if you're forced to shoot DDs or bow-in targets. Ochakov's the more unique Russian pick of the two, but there are other ships I'd pick first if I want a light cruiser on an ops team (like Mainz or San Diego). 

Irian's a nice ship, but I'm partly biased because I really enjoyed Chapayev (and Irian's a Chapy that trades the radar for deepwater torps). Squishy cruisers are never a great fit for ops when you get those heavy cruiser bot teams, and the torps may not be as potent in ops as they can be in randoms. But it has the HE DPM, and the AP is still okay for broadside cruisers.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Of those two, my vote goes slightly toward Bagration, partly because of the heal (which is still useful to have on some ops that don't have a heal circle). The AP alpha is also nice if you can find paths to ensure you get bot cruiser broadsides, but you lose the DPM advantages if you're forced to shoot DDs or bow-in targets. Ochakov's the more unique Russian pick of the two, but there are other ships I'd pick first if I want a light cruiser on an ops team (like Mainz or San Diego). 

Irian's a nice ship, but I'm partly biased because I really enjoyed Chapayev (and Irian's a Chapy that trades the radar for deepwater torps). Squishy cruisers are never a great fit for ops when you get those heavy cruiser bot teams, and the torps may not be as potent in ops as they can be in randoms. But it has the HE DPM, and the AP is still okay for broadside cruisers.

Ty for your advice. I already have the Mainz and the Bayard so I was thinking of something to get with my Admiral's coupon should I get enough tokens. I'll most likely be getting the Bagration!

Edited by CFagan_1987
add on

I would warmly recommend Irian. Accurate guns. 13.5 km torps,  5 torps per salvo (bots in AEGIS sail in straight line right 🙂 ) and torp reload booster with 3 charges.

i made a KW A1 run with her, which previously have done only with KM ships  (Nurn, Mainz)

Perhaps Bagration is a better fit for PvP with  radar and nice AP.

On 9/13/2023 at 10:53 PM, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

(and Irian's a Chapy that trades the radar for deepwater torps).

Hmmm.....not exactly. Chapy is a Chapayev class crusier, while Irian is a Sverdlov class cruiser. And the trade is torp reload booster for radar.

Edited by Andrewbassg
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 8:30 AM, Andrewbassg said:

I would warmly recommend Irian. Accurate guns. 13.5 km torps,  5 torps per salvo (bots in AEGIS sail in straight line right 🙂 ) and torp reload booster with 3 charges.

i made a KW A1 run with her, which previously have done only with KM ships  (Nurn, Mainz)

Perhaps Bagration is a better fit for PvP with  radar and nice AP.

Hmmm.....not exactly. Chapy is a Chapayev class crusier, while Irian is a Sverdlov class cruiser. And the trade is torp reload booster for radar.

Ty for the suggestion, I've already went ahead and obtained the Bagration but I'll put the Irian on the top of my list for my next purchase with the 100% doubloon value back birthday coupon in November!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 2:12 PM, CFagan_1987 said:

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to which of two I should get? My understanding is that the Ochakov is similar to the Smolensk but with fewer guns while the P Bagration is closer to a heavy cruiser.

I'd prefer one of the above two ships but I'm also willing to consider the Irian or the Tiger '59.

I play the Irian all of the time....  A great ship for Ops.  Bragration is a very good ship and can produce a lot of damage as well....

Irian would be my first choice.

• Like 2