My review of Update 12.7

NMA101

Feels appropriate to post a reflection on the final day of this update, so here goes:

The second iteration of the concealed maneuvers was an abject failure. By day 2, there were at least 3 bots on each team, and most matches did not even feature 1 CV (human or bot). Apparently the "silent majority" had enough after the first iteration and said no thank you to double CV presence in a 9 v 9 game mode.

Not sure how much useful data WG will collect, but they may be holding back on introducing mines if the latest devblog is any indication. The new CVs Yorktown and Essex will have the smokescreen consumable (tested on the IJN carriers): https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/476

The trade-in feature was in-line with expectations, for once. The doubloon values for trading in ships matched exactly what was previewed in the devblogs, a flat 50% rate, so good on WG for not publishing misinformation. For veteran players like myself with a large stockpile of coal, the event may even be considered a win-win as one could trade in a Forrest Sherman (the cheapest T10 coal ship), get a free T8, rebuy the Sherman, and possibly repeat the process again. In turn, the "excess" supply of coal is reduced which WG has acknowledged is a goal they are actively seeking. 

This by the way, is a much more constructive and acceptable method to reduce resource stockpiles, as compared to the underhanded tactics when they changed the supercontainer and anniversary rewards. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NMA101 said:

The second iteration of the concealed maneuvers was an abject failure. By day 2, there were at least 3 bots on each team, and most matches did not even feature 1 CV (human or bot). Apparently the "silent majority" had enough after the first iteration

Just about everyone who wanted to try out the support CVs had already done so, is my guess. Doing it again at a different tier held no appeal. I didn't do it again, and I love carriers. I've seen what the mines can do, and until such time as we can try them out in Co-op or they introduce major changes, I don't need to have another look.

The Yorktown and Essex with smokescreen are simply the next testing iteration. Still no info on a release date.

I had a good update. Finished grinding the Asturias, ready to pick up the Cataluna tomorrow. Created my 16th 21 point commander; now only Spain does not have one, and Spain isn't getting one until my best commander has ground his way to the top (it will probably take me at least that long for my existing 21 pointers to accumulate the ECXP for it, so no loss there). Grabbed the Somme for free, plus a 10 point ARP Teddy Bear commander, and at the last minute decided to take a chance on five ARP premium boxes and pulled the Ashigara (and her 10 point commander) on the third.

Left the trade-in feature alone. Most of the acquisition list I already had or didn't want as much as I wanted to keep the coal ships I'd have traded in. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Regarding the trade-in feature/promotion. I did not participate. However, like most marketing efforts (and it was a marketing ploy by WoWs), I think they may have been kicking the tires, so to speak, to judge the level of success.  Personally, I would like to see them expand this sometime in the future - maybe once a quarter or perhaps twice a year.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

Regarding the trade-in feature/promotion. I did not participate. However, like most marketing efforts (and it was a marketing ploy by WoWs), I think they may have been kicking the tires, so to speak, to judge the level of success.  Personally, I would like to see them expand this sometime in the future - maybe once a quarter or perhaps twice a year.

Honestly, if it wasn't for @Sailor_Moon and her reveal of the coal ship interaction(and the 12.8 Bayard coupon), I wouldn't have bothered with the trade in feature myself.

• Thanks 1