So you have the Bayard-boat, but what ship to grab then?

ZeuSueZ1337

So, on the afromention list below I’m missing Hampshire, Tiger 59, Gascone and Loyang and being a DD-main my only real choice is the Loyang, but how ‘bout CL/CA's or BB mains. What ships should those pick and why?

So with all the typical caveats what CL/CA or BB would you choose if you had to? And why?

This could also provide usefull informaiton even for those "only" receiving the 50% knockoff.

Not including Saipan here given it’s the sole CV and I presume if you're a CV player/collector it's a pretty easy choice.

Untitled01.png

Edited by ZeuSueZ1337
Added paragraph, typos etc.

@I_cant_Swim_ maybe this is not your kettle of fish, but this should ofc be in the "general" forum - not news section. This is my bad 😞

Can I kindly ask you or some other mod to move it there?

Thanks in advance.

20 hours ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

So with all the typical caveats what CL/CA or BB would you choose if you had to? And why?

Assuming I had both Lo Yang and Kidd already, I might be tempted to look at Bagration (well, *I* wouldn't, because I'm trying to avoid Russian ships for reasons the forum rules appear not to want me to go into, but you know what I mean):

• Although she rather gets eclipsed by Atago, she's still a useful T8 healing cruiser with torps.
  • Guns are worthwhile, although you get fewer torps to compensate.
  • She's a solid performer in Ops and Coop, at a minimum, although you'll want a competent cruiser player to comment re: PvP.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

well, *I* wouldn't, because I'm trying to avoid Russian ships for reasons the forum rules appear not to want me to go into,

And yet you went into them, by inference if not explicitly.

I'll pick the Vanguard:

• should be a pleasant ship (good dispersion, good turret traverse, good rudder), if not a tanky one (poor plating and firing angles...but then again she has an improved heal)
  • was built in real life
  • was the last BB ever built
  • is the most expensive ship in the list

Of the shorter list of the ones you're missing, I'd say Tiger '59 (I already have her):

• wonky and below-average to play, but interesting with the radar and ASW planes; she also has some armor on the extremities
  • was built in real life
  • fairly unique appearance
  • pretty good in Operations (decent armor, superheal and laser-accurate AP to snipe citadels on IJN cruisers)
  • reasonably expensive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ensign Cthulhu said:

And yet you went into them, by inference if not explicitly.

It's a personal choice; I'd be remiss if I pretended all the Russian ships in the game didn't exist. It's up to the individual punter to decide if they want to buy them or not.

1 hour ago, tocqueville8 said:

was the last BB ever built

E.H.H. Archibald (writing in "The Metal Fighting Ship in the Royal Navy, 1860-1971") thought she should have been called Rearguard.

IIRC, technically Jean Bart was completed after her, but Jean Bart had actually fired her guns in anger (albeit from dockside) before Vanguard's hull even touched the water.

I already have Bayard (to make it even sweeter, she's my one and only supercontainer ship), and I'm looking at either Vanguard or Le Terrible.

• Like 1

Vanguard is poor. Le Terrible is merely OK. She's fun, but I didn't keep Le Fanta, which I think is a better ship. 

8 hours ago, Verblonde said:

because I'm trying to avoid Russian ships for reasons the forum rules appear not to want me to go into, but you know what I mean):

I am avoiding Soviet ships for those reasons, but I do have both the Ochakov and the Bagration and have played them.... and they're not great, tbh. The Bag Lady's guns have great pen but that means they're also great at over pens.... her reputation as a bit of a monster comes from Flambass monstering a BC/BB with weak belt armour which presented a broadside at close range, enough to trigger the AP.... and you can do that with a standard US cruiser with heavy AP. 

If I didn't have them in port (I do) I would go for Lo Yang, Fen Yang, Hampshire, Wichita. Of the latter... Hampshire hits harder than you think. Wichita plays similar to Tulsa (CA guns, CL agility) and is versatile (radar or spotter). . Lo Yang has punchy torps and smoke/hydro. Fen Yang has utility (PA smoke, TRB). 

Overall... Siliwangi = poor. Z-35 = Ho-Hum. Ochakov = pointless. Harbin and San Diego do this better. Tiger '59 = niche. Gascogne = fun, but prob. needs secondary buffs, these days. Richelieu is better. Irian = squishy. Saipan =  gets deplaned. Vanguard = poor armour, wonky guns, awful secondaries. Kidd = still worth it. Rochester = depends how you like your US cruisers. No radar for ambushing DDs, but smoke lets you farm BBs. Probably a bit more passive than a Baltimore. 

• Like 3