Recommended captain skills?

Admiral_Karasu

Did I miss some finer point of WG's continued efforts to improve the game, or where did all those recommended skills disappear?

8 minutes ago, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

image.thumb.png.c97a2a1ad177645be6d342a66d138f52.png

Still working for me (the yellow markers are "recommended".

Try checking your mods

I guess the current versions on the Official Modstation have all sorts of fantastic hidden gems to offer... not just the missing shell flight time indicator...

I personally am using Aslains Modpack as that one never installs nonsense on it's own and remembers my previous mod configuration after every update

• Like 2

Just now, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

I personally am using Aslains Modpack as that one never installs nonsense on it's own and remembers my previous mod configuration after every update

I think I'm going to have to switch over to Aslain's as well. How easy it is to set up and use compared to the Modstation?

1 minute ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I think I'm going to have to switch over to Aslain's as well. How easy it is to set up and use compared to the Modstation?

Make sure to completely clean your wows of the old modpack. Check instructions on how to do that with modstation, afterwards you just download the Aslain client. It will ask for the game directory. Afterwards you select the mods you want and then click on install. Just follow the Aslains provided guidance and setup. After a new version of the game is released you simply download a new Aslain modpack client. It will recognize your outdated mods. Simply follow the setup again and click through it as it remembers your previous mod selection. Always click the recommended options.

https://aslain.com/index.php?/topic/2020-download-★-world-of-warships-★-modpack/

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

I guess the current versions on the Official Modstation have all sorts of fantastic hidden gems to offer... not just the missing shell flight time indicator...

I run the ModStation and haven’t seen either of these issues you are describing.

Although hiding the game’s recommended captain skills sounds like an improvement to me…

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

I run the ModStation and haven’t seen either of these issues you are describing.

Although hiding the game’s recommended captain skills sounds like an improvement to me…

Oh, come on. They aren't that bad. I usually always pick the same set for the first 10 points anyway, but I was just taken aback. If you are using the Modstation too, it must be some UI related mod that I'm using and you are not. But which one...

56 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

As someone who used Modstation for years and switched to Aslain's a couple months back when Modstation started to really lag, fairly easy. 

When you're installing the Aslain's launcher/installer and selecting your mods, make sure you check the box to show image previews (like you get in Modstation). And be prepared to do a lot of scrolling depending on what mods you want. Most of the mods I used from Modstation are there, and I've actually added a bunch that hadn't yet made it to Modstation when I switched over.

The only thing I don't like about Aslain's as much is the need to manually download and install each launcher update as mods are updated, compared to just launching it and the program updating automatically like Modstation does. 

You don't even need to clear out your old mod files through Modstation. When you select your mods in Aslain's and go to install them, it gives you the option to delete the contents of the mods folder(s) and do a clean install through it. Clearing stuff out via Modstation first and then through Aslain's wouldn't hurt, but it might be a bit overkill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing is, until recently the modstation worked very well, with even the mods being relatively quickly up to date. In the past, I think they were 99% up to date when the update launched, then it gradually started to get worse, and now I think some mods are either out of date or working improperly. Since this is the official modstation, I can only assume WG & WoWS don't really have much interest in it any more, and the modders less and less too.

2 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Oh, come on. They aren't that bad. I usually always pick the same set for the first 10 points anyway, but I was just taken aback. If you are using the Modstation too, it must be some UI related mod that I'm using and you are not. But which one...

Just to let you know I also use the mod station and have encountered no problems knock on wood. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Many of them are lazy sets applied to entire tech tree lines vs. a set of skills that anyone should recommend for a specific ship. Case in point:

Dreadnoughtskills.thumb.png.37a3fda1f6511f16b50be35261c18c87.png

These are the commander skill recommendations for Dreadnought, which is the exact same set reccomended for the entire British BB line. Note the inclusion of Furious (and lack of FPE), which even the biggest proponents of will advise against using on a ship without a super heal to recover the fire damage from those fires you allow to burn to maximize your DPM. UK BBs dont get super heals until tier IX, with the line only getting a slightly improved heal (0.6% vs. 0.5% recovery per second) at tier VII. We see a similar reccomendation for UK CCs, which also don't get super heals until tier IX.

There are also the very questionable choices like Heavy HE/SAP on US CLs, Demolition Expert being universally reccomended on IJN CAs which have excellent base fire chance (but not on most CLs, which get much more benefit from the skill), etc.

The recommended skill sets leave a lot to be desired, and in many cases they go beyond being arguably suboptimal into actively sabotaging inexperienced players who trust them (the above British BB example being IMO the epitome of this situation).

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The recommended skill sets leave a lot to be desired, and in many cases they go beyond being arguably suboptimal into actively sabotaging inexperienced players who trust them (the above British BB example being IMO the epitome of this situation).

I've always assumed that the recommended skills were optimised for Randoms, which is why I deviate from them given that I only play COOP.

It's interesting to see that there is a case to be made that the recommended skills are arguably not what they should be.

This is a better guide than the game suggestions. It warns you away from most BB secondary builds (with which I agree) but shows them as alternates. 

I dont slavishly follow these, but they are a good point of departure. 

On 9/8/2023 at 4:23 PM, Nevermore135 said:

and in many cases they go beyond being arguably suboptimal into actively sabotaging inexperienced players who trust them (the above British BB example being IMO the epitome of this situation).

Another example being the Italian destroyers (at least when they released) recommending some torp skills on a very points-starved destroyer assassin line with slow and relatively weak torpedoes.

And then even worse by describing them as torpedo destroyers in their release article, saying the focus should be on torpedoes (which are actually slow, with average to longer reloads and poor damage) and using those torpedoes to play on the second line during the first half of the battle. And encouraging the Yolo Emilio approach against battleships, without the tech tree having Yolo's torp power that actually makes that an effective strategy.

On 9/8/2023 at 1:18 PM, EXEC_HYMNE_Ar_tonelico said:

Remembering my config is the biggie for me!

On 9/8/2023 at 2:21 PM, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The only thing I don't like about Aslain's as much is the need to manually download and install each launcher update as mods are updated, compared to just launching it and the program updating automatically like Modstation does. 

I only install updates when they address the mods I've already selected. 
One of the nice things about Aslains' is that he does a great job of making sure any non-compatible mods are disabled during the initial release of an update.
However, I will usually run the first 24 hours, after a release, in vanilla mode to see what has changed.