Unique Upgrade: Enhanced Propulsion Plant for the Des Moines

yss_turtleship

Unique Upgrade: Enhanced Propulsion Plant (Des Moines) - Still Worth It In 2023 for Clan Battles?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Unique Upgrade: Enhanced Propulsion Plant for the Des Moines still worth It In 2023 for Clan Battles?

• Yes
    • No

I am considering getting the Enhanced Propulsion Mod for the Des Moines which I mainly play in Clan Battles.  Is this unique upgrade still worth it? I read somewhere that it was nerfed at some point.

• Thanks 1

I believe it moved slots at one point was the "nerf" but it's been a while. 

Can't speak to it's current effectiveness in CB as I haven't been involved. 

52 minutes ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I believe it moved slots at one point was the "nerf" but it's been a while. 

Can't speak to it's current effectiveness in CB as I haven't been involved. 

Nah, they were going to move it to slot 5 and compete with concealment but backlash forced them to keep it at slot 6.

According to a big amount of competitive players the upgrade is worth it for randoms but situational for CBs or tournaments where more dpm just outright wins the fights against similarly placed ships.

It depends on what your role is in comp set ups. I personally don't use it even in randoms just to make sure to always be used to the same handling in randoms. I use reload.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yss_turtleship said:

I am considering getting the Enhanced Propulsion Mod for the Des Moines which I mainly play in Clan Battles.  Is this unique upgrade still worth it? I read somewhere that it was nerfed at some point.

The nerf was that the effectiveness of the improved acceleration was reduced. Originally it was going to be more severe by moving the UU from slot 6 to slot 5.

• Like 1

I got it about 3 or 4 years ago but took it off. I felt that you have to give up too much gun range. At that time it was just when the Smolensk was released it outranged the Des by a about 1km. Smolly's range has been nerfed since then.

3 hours ago, Paladin1954 said:

At that time it was just when the Smolensk was released it outranged the Des by a about 1km. Smolly's range has been nerfed since then.

Smolensk built for range in the good old days could get out to 19km; now it's just a shade over sixteen. My Salem built for range in slot six will beat that, and I think Des Moines is identical in that respect at least.

I don't think it is worth it for any mode but I don't play CB so take that FWIW.

Giving up reload or range in slot 6 for what the LM/UU gives with rudder and propulsion doesn't seem worth it (to me).

I have had it since the old days when you did the mission to earn it and have never even mounted it. Just one of them I find not worth the tradeoff.

Personally I just run reload in slot six. Having that one extra salvo in air in a twenty second slug fest with a Napoli shoving its face around the corner of your Des Moines' chosen island makes you appreciate just how much of a difference DPM makes in clan battles when its do or die time. You have no torps so you had better make the most of every single shell you can get off.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:15 AM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Bacon.

image_2023-09-08_101525927.thumb.png.c5012db92277ba652fcf38892e8f0e0f.png 

I thought about adding bacon to the poll since no proper Internet poll will be without it.

I am currently running reload in slot 6 at this time.

• Like 1

I got it when way back when.   Used it for a couple of months , but I switched back to dpm or range.  The speed boost is forgettable, but it still sits in my inventory, just in case. 

Bought it with hard earned RB points. I'm still trying not feeling sorry for that. :)) 

At least for me, it didn't seem to make a great difference... I'm sure there should be a difference, because numbers and math... I just didn't feel it. Disappointed. I'd sell it back if I could.

Edited by SmokinSerj