Yorktown - fighter captain build

Daniel_Allan_Clark

Posted (edited)

Can anyone tell me the fighter arrival time and lock on time for a captain with Enhanced Reactions?

Even with the two other skills increasing patrol radius...I am still finding that most enemy CV captains just can avoid the fighter drop.

I'm to the point of wanting to see the math tradeoff  of how long the planes take to arrive vs how long they take to lock on.

The information is not in Shipbuilder...and I don't have resources to spec and unspec a ship just to do some math...

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

Posted (edited)

This thread seems to make Enhanced Reactions look worse.

According to the WoWs Shiptool, the base reaction time is 2.5 seconds, thus making Enhanced Reactions unnecessary in my view. 

Edited by Unlooky
added link

53 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

This thread seems to make Enhanced Reactions look worse.

According to the WoWs Shiptool, the base reaction time is 2.5 seconds, thus making Enhanced Reactions unnecessary in my view. 

Exactly what I wanted to see.

Thanks!

Basically, any enemy CV that has enough speed, can boost out of my Yorktown fighters, even with the enhanced radius...

Hmm.

Less than ideal. Ah well.

On 7/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Can anyone tell me the fighter arrival time and lock on time for a captain with Enhanced Reactions?

Even with the two other skills increasing patrol radius...I am still finding that most enemy CV captains just can avoid the fighter drop.

I'm to the point of wanting to see the math tradeoff  of how long the planes take to arrive vs how long they take to lock on.

The information is not in Shipbuilder...and I don't have resources to spec and unspec a ship just to do some math...

Enhanced Reactions is actually bad for the Essex line. The penalty to arrival time actually reduces your overall lock on time. You are better off without it.

7 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

Enhanced Reactions is actually bad for the Essex line. The penalty to arrival time actually reduces your overall lock on time. You are better off without it.

Indeed.

I'm finding in practice that even with better arrival times, and shorter lock on times...most CV players can avoid the fighter drops.

It makes the Essex line functionally dead from a meme point of view to me.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Indeed.

I'm finding in practice that even with better arrival times, and shorter lock on times...most CV players can avoid the fighter drops.

It makes the Essex line functionally dead from a meme point of view to me.

There is a timing to it. It can be done, but you must have the 1 point skill for a better patrol radius. Also, in regards to Yorktown specifically, if you face Indomitable, it has planes that are too fast if they know what they are doing, but in most cases you can trap the planes if you time it right, assuming they don't just recall them, which some do if they are paying attention. It really comes down to placement and timing, and in a lot of ways is a lot like the timing of the old strafing mechanic from pre-CV-rework.

For me there are three really annoying things when playing support CV. 1) I lock down enemy CV, my team throws anyway. I have a 47% WR in Essex right now. I had a stretch of about a dozen games where my team threw every time I took Essex out. 2) I drop fighters, my opponent drops fighters, my fighters lock on to strike squadron, enemy fighters lock on to my fighters, enemy recalls strike planes way out of patrol area, enemy fighters kill my fighters and I get nothing except the knowledge I made them recall. It's frustrating. 3) In the Essex/Yorktown mirror match, when the enemy CV recalls a TACTICAL squadron denying me plane kills. It's very petty, since they auto regen all the planes anyway, and the second time they do it, if the match isn't close, I immediately go into CV snipe mode. I am not normally that mean spirited, but if they are going to deny me like that, I will just go after them directly. 

Edit: Reason to listen to me: 30 plane kills per game in Essex.

Edited by _KlRlTO_

5 hours ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

There is a timing to it. It can be done, but you must have the 1 point skill for a better patrol radius.

Even with that (which I have), you can't actually trap most tier 8 CV planes. They are either fast enough to evade lock on, or can be recalled before lock on.

5 hours ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

Edit: Reason to listen to me: 30 plane kills per game in Essex

Have your kills per game remained steady? Or are your stats padded by most of the games played while the playerbase was getting used to playing against Essex?

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

They are either fast enough to evade lock on, or can be recalled before lock on.

Have your kills per game remained steady? Or are your stats padded by most of the games played while the playerbase was getting used to playing against Essex?

Plane recall is definitely a thing. All you can do when that happens is take it as a tempo win, meaning they have to take a lot longer to attack. As for kill consistency, there is no consistency. I may average 30 kills, but it's not unusual for me to have three consecutive battles where my plane kills are 48, 42, 6. 

Edit: So I just went back and checked my Yorktown stats, and I am second on NA server now in average plane kills in it, but only at 19 kills per game (Trailing now by half a kill). The reason Yorktown is lower is twofold. First, Yorktown has fewer fighters in a drop. Also, Yorktown faces a greater variety of enemy CVs than Essex does, because there are more tier 8 CVs than tier 10 CVs. Some of the tier 8s are bad matchups, such as Indomitable, which can absolutely outrun the fighters, as well as the Russians, which require a much longer drop lead. Essex only faces one Russian. Yorktown also faces some CVs with tiny squadrons, which means vewer plane kills on a success. 

I just looked you up, and you are shooting down 17 planes per battle in Yorktown (Remember I only average 19 on it), and you are getting good damage too. You're like me, your teams are throwing. Just keep with it, and it should get better.

Edited by _KlRlTO_

30 minutes ago, _KlRlTO_ said:

Plane recall is definitely a thing. All you can do when that happens is take it as a tempo win, meaning they have to take a lot longer to attack. As for kill consistency, there is no consistency. I may average 30 kills, but it's not unusual for me to have three consecutive battles where my plane kills are 48, 42, 6. 

Edit: So I just went back and checked my Yorktown stats, and I am second on NA server now in average plane kills in it, but only at 19 kills per game (Trailing now by half a kill). The reason Yorktown is lower is twofold. First, Yorktown has fewer fighters in a drop. Also, Yorktown faces a greater variety of enemy CVs than Essex does, because there are more tier 8 CVs than tier 10 CVs. Some of the tier 8s are bad matchups, such as Indomitable, which can absolutely outrun the fighters, as well as the Russians, which require a much longer drop lead. Essex only faces one Russian. Yorktown also faces some CVs with tiny squadrons, which means vewer plane kills on a success. 

I just looked you up, and you are shooting down 17 planes per battle in Yorktown (Remember I only average 19 on it), and you are getting good damage too. You're like me, your teams are throwing. Just keep with it, and it should get better.

I've found plane kills to be either matchup or enemy skill dependent.

It may less be my teams throwing vs me not doing damage in the right places and having to rely less on spotting habits I've made with Midway and the Japan line.