Vasa cannon firing

Lord_Slayer

Footage of a Cannon from Vasa firing on a target of a ship's side

• Like 4

Has to be a replica gun, right?

That cloud of splinters is just terrifying, I can’t imagine seeing the carnage those shots produced in actual battles 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

not sure.
Vasa carried bronze cannons so they would have stood up a bit better over time. Wither or not they would risk firing an original gun isn't something I can answer, though I would point out no one is near that gun at all, so it could go either way: an original gun being fired, or a bronze replica being fired

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

not sure.
Vasa carried bronze cannons so they would have stood up a bit better over time. Wither or not they would risk firing an original gun isn't something I can answer, though I would point out no one is near that gun at all, so it could go either way: an original gun being fired, or a bronze replica being fired

I did a bit of googling, and it appears there were 64 cannons in all, and now three of those cannons are in the Vasa Museum. This one that was fired seems to be the same you can see in this longer clip being fired at 8:30 mark. It's a modern bronze cannon replica of the originals.

https://www.svtplay.se/video/ey3rvLr/vetenskapsarkivet/vasas-kanoner

On 6/23/2024 at 4:05 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

It is amazing how many actual "original cannon's" exist...!   Right down the street where I live, a friend of mine just sold off his "civil war" cannon collection. 

He had dozens of them where he carefully restored the entire mounts, gun tubes and accoutrements.  I posted a picture of a Gatling gun he fully restored a while back on the old forum I beleive.  It was from the USS Maine and he converted it to a towed Cavalry version and had the entire towed mount recreated from technical drawing he obtain in Washington......

Did you know they had "Cannon Marksmanship" events for historic cannon's at Fort Sill >? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Asym said:

Did you know they had "Cannon Marksmanship" events for historic cannon's at Fort Sill >? 

No, I can't say that I did.

45 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

No, I can't say that I did.

They actually did.   As I said, my close friend is no longer collecting cannons....sigh. 

I did find the 37mm Gatling picture though !

scan0010.thumb.jpg.2c8eb04377abe929fcde624764f927ad.jpg

A Cowboy Action shoot at our range facility.  He went so far as to machine 37mm cartridges that would hold a 12 gauge shotgun shell as a sub caliber (blank) round filled with Black Powder.  They'd crank off a magazine of 6 of them for those whom have never seen an original large bore Gatling gun....  There were fragment indentations on the receiver from when the USS Maine exploded.....  Everything you see that Gatling gun on was hand made or cast (bronze.)  The wheels were made by local Amish craftsmen using Dept of War original schematics....

1-37x120.thumb.jpg.83858db2065ad1b5bcb6e68231b57bf3.jpg

Here's what the original configuration looked like.

Interesting stuff.........

• Like 3