Tip - Know your PC bottlenecks (video)

Tpaktop2_1 NA

I am transferring an old support tech tip thread to here from the old WoWS forum

There are various bottlenecks when it comes to personal computers; network, network cables, memory, CPU, power supplies, and now video cables.  Back three years ago I was getting a new video monitor as I noted here.

Report post #1 
Posted November 26, 2020 (edited)
I snagged it off a pre-Black Friday sale, about $100 off

GIGABYTE M27Q
27" 2560 x 1440 SS IPS Display
170Hz Refresh Rate, 0.5ms (MPRT) Response Time
Smooth Gameplay with AMD FreeSync Premium
Studio Grade VESA Display HDR400 and 92% DCI-P3 (140% sRGB) Color Gamut
Control multiple devices with KVM
GIGABYTE Classic Tactical Features with OSD Sidekick
GIGABYTE Auto-Update
Ergonomic Design with Tilt and Height Adjustments
Low Blue Light & Flicker-Free
VESA Wall Mount Compatible 100x100mm
1x Display Port 1.2, 2x HDMI 2.0
2x USB 3.0, 1x USB Type-C

It should integrate well with my Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 video card. It will be replacing an old Samsung SyncMaster S24B300 (50hz refresh) monitor. I had a devil of a time figuring out what is a good monitor for my needs. I am finding out some places are selling old monitors manufactured from 2017 on.  This is a great site that can help with your decisions in buying. https://www.displayspecifications.com/en

It will let you know how old the monitor you are looking at and their features.

This should help with my gaming WoWS in matches. I am not saying it will make me more deadly, at least things should not look so fuzzy.

However once I un-wrap and installed the monitor I still found my refresh rate was still 60hz instead of 144hz. The current setup is with HDMI cabling. However its not a "high-speed" HDMI cable. But wait Tpaktop2_1 doesn't the new monitor come with cables? Well yes if you want to mount the products side by side. However my setup between monitor and PC is longer than 4 feet.  So I ended up buying a new 10 foot DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable from Amazon. I should now get 165hz for a refresh rate with the new cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HVVHL23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got to say my new monitor is kickass. 😁

Update: FYI, I am not suggesting that you buy the DisplayPort cable from Amazon. It is being used here in context as an example in my tech write up. Buy your video cable for a better price elsewhere if you can.

• Thanks 1

pretty good price . hope that worked for you . 

my graphics card has 2 HDMI ports and 2 Display ports but its difficult to find a monitor with the new Display port output so if anyone else has the same problem  then 

best buy has the solution . its an DP to HMDI cable so you can plug in HDMI into it 

DPtoHDMI.jpg

• Like 2