New player can't stop losing (well, I win, sometimes, but not as much as I expected)

Hi guys,

I'm a "new player" for around 3 month.

I like this game. I was a WOT player (45k battles).

My issue is : I don't have bad stats. According my PR on 2 stats website (overall and recent) I'm green/blue. That's fine.

But I have baaaaaaaaaad WR, barely yellow overall (not even 48%) and red as a huge tomatoe when it's about BB's. (and CV's too, but I don't care anymore about those ships, I played them a lot at the beginning but now they annoy me)

But as you can see, my PR is not that bad (Derfflinger and Texas (rental ship) are exceptions, I played them at the very beginning and I played very badly). But look at the other ships. It doesn't look that bad. Or maybe it is ? Because my WR is really bad.

I often have this feeling, with those mostly slow ships, that I'm not even ready to fight (= getting a good place to have positive influence for my team) but 2 allied DD's are already dead...

When I was playing WOT (and I was pretty good at this game) and I was reading comments like this, I was always telling to myself : "ahaha they don't even know how to play and they think about wargaming conspiracy making them lose"

But now, it's my turn 🤣 In fact, because I know a lot about WOT (my account is 12 years old!!), I know there is no conspiracy to make me lose...Because there is no such a thing on WOT, so why the hell would it be true on WOWS ? But sometimes, I can't avoid to think : maybe there is a glitch in the matrix...just on my account 🤣 I struggle with all my strength to expel this baaaaaaad idea 😁

More seriously, I'm very frustrated.

But

I'm not writing to complain. But to understand. And trying to improve myself.

If anyone can check my stats with BB's and give me a clue of what's wrong, it would be much appreciated 🙂 Maybe there is part of the answer hidding somewhere in my stats.

https://tomato.gg/wows/stats/EU/R_blackmore=547465706

https://wowstats.org/stats/eu/r_blackmore/

Thanks a lot 🙂

qsdqdzaeazerqsdaze.png

• Like 3

Hey @r_blackmore Welcome aboard.

I tend to look at a third website - here you are: https://wows-numbers.com/player/547465706,R_blackmore/

And I think that the answer is - you just need to play more games. This site has "recent stats" which are all insanely good, so what is likely causing your "tomato" effect is the battles where you were learning. 

If you look at my stats (woah - only 500 battles!) you will see the same thing. My PvP play is mostly clan battles and tournaments with the (not so) occasional brawl, which aren't tracked, and I was a forum mod for quite a while so when I drove ships in randoms they were generally test ships (also not tracked) so my random stats are now a mix of pre-2022 and the last 6 months.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1043178514,SureBridge/

On the plus side, folks using the stats monitors will assume you are a bad player, and do stupid things in front of you 🙂 Most clans "require" 1,000 battles to join - that's mostly so that they have an idea what you can actually do, because you'll see a LOT of volatility in your stats (a win streak will "pop" your win rate, a losing streak will tank it and one really good game can increase your average damage by over a hundred points). So don't worry about your stats, and concentrate on learning the game better - your stats will stay red for a while (number of battles will go "yellow" at IIRC 2,500 battles). If you want to join a clan with a training program (a few I am familiar with include HOPAS, EPOXY/GLUE, 5D, YOLO, TO) they will likely look at your stats, have a conversation and then do a battle in div or two to decide if you are the sort of player they will work with. Devstrike is also trying to put together a "WoWS bootcamp" series for newer players, but right now it's NA only (Tuesdays at 8:00 Eastern, on hiatus during clan battles) although the training materials are up here: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum! @r_blackmore

As @SureBridge said, just play a bit more. Relax, enjoy the games. The stats will follow (or not?). And peruse the forum here - there are a lot of helpful posts and posters around.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, r_blackmore said:

In WOWS, there's a lot of properties (statistical ones) in play.

For example.

• No matter how good you think you play... WR% is capped in Random battles.. This means, active players (those who play everyday), will only achieve a certain range of  WR%
  • In thoery, AFK ships can get a decent WR% because they can win as well.
  • WOWS stats are trophy based.. They do not and will never tell you, the quality of player you are.
  • MUST IMPORTANT... PR stat is not a sanctioned stat BY WOWS.

So I'm guessing... The issue is more perspective then an actual player issue... You have all the tools needed to be good..

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, r_blackmore said:

Welcome aboard.  🙂 

There are times when World of Warships reminds me of a paintball match.
The islands are like obstacles, used for cover & concealment while blocking incoming paintballs. 
But, as you know, that works both ways.
Until someone uses a "consumable" such as hydro-acoustic search or radar, or someone flies an airplane over your position or gains line-of-sight by sailing to a vantage point on the map with a stealthy ship.  And, if they get really close, there is the "within 2km assured detection by proximity" in-game phenomena.

Smokescreens merely make it more difficult to target a player (until someone gets really close or uses a detection consumable).
But, a smokescreen does not stop incoming ordnance from hitting a ship.
Hence, the difference between "cover" (such as an island) and "concealment" (such as a smokescreen).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that there are some "big picture" similarities, with World of Warships, World of Tanks and paintball.

Wa all started as new players with a handful of Tier-1 ships.  
The basics of gunnery, movement and other phenomena begin at Tier-1.
Heck, Tier-1 ships are still fun to play, as Yuro points out in one of his videos.
"THE PRECURSOR OF PAIN | ERIE"  

Statistics are somewhat useful, but don't always show everything.  So, I suggest not losing sleep over them.

There's a "work in progress" training topic, among other useful "guide" topics in this section I'm providing a link to.
https://www.devstrike.net/forum/9-guides/

I'm sure you'll have specific questions, especially as you learn more.  Feel free to ask.
And "learn more" you will, if you read the official WOWs wiki-pages.  https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

Meanwhile, enclosed are some videos just for entertainment & motivation purposes.  🙂 

• Like 1

why do players have so much facination on winrate and pr  .why does it matter 

good or bad who cares as long as you enjoy playing the game 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have three answers to this question.  

The first is:

Ignore your stats completely for X battles.  Where X is the number of battles that it takes for you to feel that you

• Understand the basics of the game
  • Have a grasp of how to play each class of ship in the game

Of course this might well take a few thousand games.  

Then, look at your stats. If they really bother you that much  ... DELETE your account and start again with a new account.

This may well have some downsides though ... all the coal, steel, silver and dubs you might have acquired will be gone. Any ships you researched will be gone. Any good stuff you acquired along the way from crates will be gone. And of course you'll have wasted any RL money you spent.

BUT, the upside is that when you start again you won't have the learning-phase drag on your stats.  

The second is:

Ignore your stats completely for X battles. Where X is the number of battles it takes for you to feel that you

• Understand the basics of the game
  • Have a grasp of how to play each class of ship in the game

Then, when you DO think you've got your sea legs (so to speak) just pay attention to your recent stats and use them as a metric to see how you play NOW.

The third is:

Ignore your stats completely.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

The third is:

Ignore your stats completely.

I suggest going with the third option.  🙂 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, r_blackmore said:

Hi guys,

I'm a "new player" for around 3 month.

I like this game. I was a WOT player (45k battles).

My issue is : I don't have bad stats. According my PR on 2 stats website (overall and recent) I'm green/blue. That's fine.

But I have baaaaaaaaaad WR, barely yellow overall (not even 48%) and red as a huge tomatoe when it's about BB's. (and CV's too, but I don't care anymore about those ships, I played them a lot at the beginning but now they annoy me)

But as you can see, my PR is not that bad (Derfflinger and Texas (rental ship) are exceptions, I played them at the very beginning and I played very badly). But look at the other ships. It doesn't look that bad. Or maybe it is ? Because my WR is really bad.

I often have this feeling, with those mostly slow ships, that I'm not even ready to fight (= getting a good place to have positive influence for my team) but 2 allied DD's are already dead...

When I was playing WOT (and I was pretty good at this game) and I was reading comments like this, I was always telling to myself : "ahaha they don't even know how to play and they think about wargaming conspiracy making them lose"

But now, it's my turn 🤣 In fact, because I know a lot about WOT (my account is 12 years old!!), I know there is no conspiracy to make me lose...Because there is no such a thing on WOT, so why the hell would it be true on WOWS ? But sometimes, I can't avoid to think : maybe there is a glitch in the matrix...just on my account 🤣 I struggle with all my strength to expel this baaaaaaad idea 😁

But

If anyone can check my stats with BB's and give me a clue of what's wrong, it would be much appreciated 🙂 Maybe there is part of the answer hidding somewhere in my stats.

https://tomato.gg/wows/stats/EU/R_blackmore=547465706

https://wowstats.org/stats/eu/r_blackmore/

Thanks a lot 🙂

qsdqdzaeazerqsdaze.png

Firstly let me say this. Welcome to wows and I hope you're here to stay. Secondly you're incredibly new, I wouldn't worry about stats at all until you reach around 2000 maybe even 3000 games. That gives you enough time to try all classes, actually just have some fun and focus on enjoying yourself.

Also from what I can see you're stats aren't that bad at all, I'd happily have you on my team and in my div. Remember to play around, try different ship classes and ship. Just have fun and don't get too worried about the red, orange and yellow. I'll help you get rid of those icky stats much much later.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I suggest going with the third option.  🙂 

Firm nod.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi,

and huge thanks to all of you

I know I should'nt be too much into my stats....but I don't know how to play differently. I have quite of a competitiv spirit and it is stronger than my will ahaha

So I read and watch a lot of things about the game I play. Including wiki, youtube commented games and streamers

But I was saying to myself that maybe I was too passiv, or too agressiv, or I missplaced my ship. I often live long, and survive quite often too, no matter my team wins or loses. So, with that survival rate + ship's spot + spot damages, I was wondering if it could mean something about my "playstyle". I know in WOT that could mean a lot. If you are a "red line camper" (sitting in the back) you have low number of ennemy's spotted tanks, of spotting damages and higher level of survival rate because you will still be alive when the game is over. So you can have a not too bad average damages but you will do them when the game is pretty much 100% lost

Well, that was my hypothesis 🙂 

Anyway, thank for all your commentaries, I will try to give less credits to my stats for now

Edited by r_blackmore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

and huge thanks to all of you

I know I should'nt be too much into my stats....but I don't know how to play differently. I have quite of a competitiv spirit and it is stronger than my will ahaha

So I read and watch a lot of things about the game I play. Including wiki, youtube commented games and streamers

But I was saying to myself that maybe I was too passiv, or too agressiv, or I missplaced my ship. I often live long, and survive quite often too, no matter my team wins or loses. So, with that survival rate + ship's spot + spot damages, I was wondering if it could mean something about my "playstyle". I know in WOT that could mean a lot. If you are a "red line camper" (sitting in the back) you have low number of ennemy's spotted tanks, of spotting damages and higher level of survival rate because you will still be alive when the game is over. So you can have a not too bad average damages but you will do them when the game is pretty much 100% lost

Well, that was my hypothesis 🙂 

Anyway, thank for all your commentaries, I will try to give less credits to my stats for now

You're welcome.  🙂 

Helping people is what some of us live for.  ( @BOBTHEBALL has their own little section of the forum where they set-up a help-desk, eh?  And @Lord_Zath has a Twitch channel which frequently does "replay analysis" and educational tips & tricks either via discussion or by observation of his actual game-play.  And there are times when one can join in his division and sail with him into battle for a number of games and enjoy some *feedback* in real-time.  Fun times.  🙂 )

Contingency planning and examining "what worked" and "what didn't work" is useful.
That being said, when you're in the middle of a battle, there are times to "trust your gut instincts" and not over-think the situation.

Win some, lose some.  That's normal.
Remember that in a random battle with 12 players per team (24 players in total) that you only get to command/control your ship.
Which leaves 23 other people able to influence the outcome of the match but who are not people you are able to control.
Personally, that's why I don't lose sleep over the battle outcomes. 

Now, having said there are up to 23 people who one cannot "command & control", there are still up to 11 team-mates who you can ask nicely in battle-chat for help or respond to their polite requests for assistance.
It is possible they may have their battle-chat turned-off (to avoid toxic words or to simply enjoy listening to some heavy-metal music in peace), but ...
Personally, I've gotten my best responses from being polite and nice and occasionally writing some good-natured humor.  (We are here to have fun, after all.  And there are times when my most effective salvo is a well-timed joke.)

There are some similarities in World of Warships (with the activities that earn experience points during battle) with World of Tanks.
Damage scored (as a percentage of the opponent's HP), spotting, capturing areas, potential damage (getting shot at, but not being hit), fulfilling map/scenario objectives and etc. & etc.
The details might vary a little bit, but you've got a grasp of the overall principles at work.  Good on'ya.  🙂 

When I was first learning to play WOWs, I'd often get sunk.  But, then I'd hang around and watch the battle using the in-game camera feature.
I figured that I could learn from how other people played.

For me, it was helpful.
And reading or watching videos about actual tactics used during World Wars One & Two has also helped me.
Sure, the opportunity to "Cross the T" is rare.  But there are frequent opportunities for "focused fire" (which is simply multiple friendly ships shooting at the same red-team ship until it is sunk or moves out-of-range or behind cover).
Which dovetails with my earlier concept of examining "what worked" compared with "what didn't work".

Anyway, time to wrap-up this post.

Good luck and I hope to see you in a game.  
(We have an entire topic devoted to that, actually.  🙂)  https://www.devstrike.net/topic/76-who-have-you-seen-in-battle-a-new-thread-for-a-new-forum/

• Like 3

@r_blackmore I took a little deeper look into your overall game experience and have some comments and suggestions.  My information comes from your in-game profile and from R_blackmore - Player info and stats - WoWS Numbers - EU (wows-numbers.com)

First, some perspective:  Your overall win rate is 48.87%, which would, truth be told, reflect pretty much the average player in WoWs.  Your "solo" WR is 49.17%, when played in a division of two, 43.9%, and jumps up to 55.7% in a division of three.  My suggestion here is to division more with your clan teammates.  Playing in a division for a newer player has so many advantages.  You learn early on what teamwork is and can get immediate feedback from more experienced players.  If you ever plan on doing more competitive type battle modes (Clan Battles) in the future, this will give you a big leg up on how to interact with your team.  Doing divisions also reinforces your role in the type of ship you play.  You will tend not to be too aggressive or passive in your play style because your team really depends on you.

Blackmore.thumb.png.66cb046ab92dd9362cfc3aec295f92ba.png

Your overall approach so far is very commendable. It is somewhat refreshing to see newer players actually advance through the tiers with sizeable battles under their belts, gaining experience.  Overall, you are (as in the red outline "Tiers" above) actually gaining experience as you progress up the tier.  My only suggestion here would be to focus more on Tier 7 for the time being and some in Tier 8.  At Tier 9 and above, you usually would be facing a much more experienced player base.

You should really get to feel comfortable in the ship type you prefer. This means having a good understanding of your ship's role, the tactics required, and the actual abilities of your ship and its weaknesses.

Your overall damage to date (below) is very respectable based on the volume of games and tiers you have played.  More importantly, your overall damage is steadily increasing.  This indicates to me that you are improving your overall skills in the game.  So pat yourself on the back - good job!

Blackmore2.png.920867ef5e366d55246b805782979705.png

Cruisers are your most played ship types.  From looking at your in-game information, one thing stands out.  Hit ratio of main guns.  Cruiser's main guns are usually more accurate.  This is one area of your game you should focus on becoming more proficient.  In your in-game profile, if you click on the ship, you can find our overall hit ratio for that particular ship.  My recommendation here is that you strive to get your overall hit rate in cruisers to 35% for your first goal and then, once reached, set a new goal based on your skills.

If you use any mods, it would be helpful to know which ones you use.  There are several for a newer player I would highly recommend.  Not only can they help you in-game, but increase your overall knowledge of the mechanics of the game.

If you have not, I would take a look at @iChase tutorial videos.  Although they are not the most recent, the tactics explained are still very valid in the current game.  He has excellent information on cruisers, which may help you.  Here is the link:

Finally, as everyone has said, we are here to help in any way we can.  Please ask questions.  It is great that you show an interest in becoming a more knowledgeable player in this game.  Our best of luck to you!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

My recommendation here is that you strive to get your overall hit rate in cruisers to 35% for your first goal and then, once reached, set a new goal based on your skills.

I offer a minor explanation for the sake of clarity.
The "hits on target" counter stops when a target is sunk.

Example = A cruiser with a total of 8 gun barrels fires a salvo at a ship with only a small amount of HP remaining. 
6 of the 8 shots hit the hull.
But, the hull was already so damaged that only 3 of those shots counted before the hull was deemed sunk by the game programming. 
Thus 3 did not count towards one's hit percentage statistics.

The same counting process happens with other ordnance (guns, bombs, torpedoes, rockets, depth-charges, whatever).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HogHammer said:

@r_blackmore I took a little deeper look into your overall game experience and have some comments and suggestions.  My information comes from your in-game profile and from R_blackmore - Player info and stats - WoWS Numbers - EU (wows-numbers.com)

First, some perspective:  Your overall win rate is 48.87%, which would, truth be told, reflect pretty much the average player in WoWs.  Your "solo" WR is 49.17%, when played in a division of two, 43.9%, and jumps up to 55.7% in a division of three.  My suggestion here is to division more with your clan teammates.  Playing in a division for a newer player has so many advantages.  You learn early on what teamwork is and can get immediate feedback from more experienced players.  If you ever plan on doing more competitive type battle modes (Clan Battles) in the future, this will give you a big leg up on how to interact with your team.  Doing divisions also reinforces your role in the type of ship you play.  You will tend not to be too aggressive or passive in your play style because your team really depends on you.

Your overall approach so far is very commendable. It is somewhat refreshing to see newer players actually advance through the tiers with sizeable battles under their belts, gaining experience.  Overall, you are (as in the red outline "Tiers" above) actually gaining experience as you progress up the tier.  My only suggestion here would be to focus more on Tier 7 for the time being and some in Tier 8.  At Tier 9 and above, you usually would be facing a much more experienced player base.

You should really get to feel comfortable in the ship type you prefer. This means having a good understanding of your ship's role, the tactics required, and the actual abilities of your ship and its weaknesses.

Your overall damage to date (below) is very respectable based on the volume of games and tiers you have played.  More importantly, your overall damage is steadily increasing.  This indicates to me that you are improving your overall skills in the game.  So pat yourself on the back - good job!

Cruisers are your most played ship types.  From looking at your in-game information, one thing stands out.  Hit ratio of main guns.  Cruiser's main guns are usually more accurate.  This is one area of your game you should focus on becoming more proficient.  In your in-game profile, if you click on the ship, you can find our overall hit ratio for that particular ship.  My recommendation here is that you strive to get your overall hit rate in cruisers to 35% for your first goal and then, once reached, set a new goal based on your skills.

If you use any mods, it would be helpful to know which ones you use.  There are several for a newer player I would highly recommend.  Not only can they help you in-game, but increase your overall knowledge of the mechanics of the game.

If you have not, I would take a look at @iChase tutorial videos.  Although they are not the most recent, the tactics explained are still very valid in the current game.  He has excellent information on cruisers, which may help you.  Here is the link:

Finally, as everyone has said, we are here to help in any way we can.  Please ask questions.  It is great that you show an interest in becoming a more knowledgeable player in this game.  Our best of luck to you!

thx again 🙂

Some explanations here : when I play solo, well, I play solo ahah When I played in a division of 2 it was mostly with my wife. Who is really bad. Because it's her really first gaming experience. She doesn't have my WOT background nor any gaming background at all so that was our WR is even worst. It is true that when I play in a division of 3, it's mostly with clan members who are way more experienced than we both are.

For mods, I used the same than WOT : Aslain. The most usefull I'm using are : dynamic crosshair (with speed scale), the mods which tells the direction and orientation of the targeted ennemy ship, the mod that shows, reload speed, max speed, shooting range (primary, secondary and AA) and all the tools of the ennemy ships (hydro, torps, etc)

Edited by r_blackmore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, r_blackmore said:

thx again 🙂

Any explanations here : when I play solo, well, I play solo ahah When I played in a division of 2 it was mostly with my wife. Who is really bad. Because it's her really first gaming experience. She doesn't have my WOT background nor any gaming background at all so that was our WR is even worst. It is true that when I play in a division of 3, it's mostly with clan members who are way more experienced than we both are.

For mods, I used the same than WOT : Aslain. The most usefull I'm using are : dynamic crosshair (with speed scale), the mods which tells the direction and orientation of the targeted ennemy ship, the mod that shows, reload speed, max speed, shooting range (primary, secondary and AA) and all the tools of the ennemy ships (hydro, torps, etc)

I'm glad you and your Wife are "bonding" doing something together playing World of Warships.  🙂 

• Like 3

Here's something that may be worth bearing in mind:

Not all ships are going to 'work' for you right now.

It may be that some classes fit you better at the moment, and others are less suited to where you are in experience level and playstyle.

If you hang around here long enough, you'll soon discover that I am overwhelmingly a cruiser main, and specifically I favor cruisers which have a lot of dakka (i.e. fast firing guns) because that's what I have the most fun in. I tried Battleships and Destroyers early on, and didn't really enjoy them all that much. And I sucked at them. So I found the class that suited me best and focused on that so that I could learn all the other stuff that one needs to learn in a ship that I played (reasonably) OK naturally.

There's a lot to get your head around in WoWS and while WoT will have given you some of the necessary skills (for instance map awareness, angling your armor, etc) there are other things you'll need to get up to speed on (for instance having a good idea what the most likely actions of your teammates and the enemy are going to be on any given map) and it's a LOT easier to learn that stuff on a ship that you feel comfortable with.

Now, many thousands of battles later, I've branched out and am grinding the various Battleship and Destroyer tech trees because I've gotten to the point (I think) where I know enough about the game so that I can afford to pay more attention to how I'm playing a particular ship and what I need to do to get better in it without messing up (as much).

If  you're planning on playing long term, then adjust your expectations that way. There really is little value in rushing and a lot of fun to be missed out on if you pressure yourself.

SaluteSmiley.gif.d201e2f70da9e26e45200f81833dbaa0.gif

• Like 6

On 5/26/2024 at 7:00 PM, Gaelic_knight said:

why do players have so much facination on winrate and pr  .why does it matter 

good or bad who cares as long as you enjoy playing the game 

A fantastic question and one that should be asked of a huge amount of people who complain in randoms at the start of a match before performance even comes into play.

• Like 2

@r_blackmoreWelcome!!! In terms of advice, play ships you are comfortable with and then have fun! I tend to play well when I am not worrying about my stats. Stuff will come naturally to you when you get to know the game better and better.

13 hours ago, HogHammer said:

This post right here is just really, really good!

• Like 2

thanks to everyone

So, I have to find the good ship to have fun and to be performant with

Any idea of what could be that ship ?

- Cruiser

- big guns

- long reload is not an issue

- more accurate than BB's

- Maneuvrability and/or concealment and/or speed are optionals but would be appreciated

- smoke or hydro or radar

there are too many ships ahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, r_blackmore said:

thanks to everyone

- Cruiser

- big guns

- Maneuvrability and/or concealment and/or speed are optionals but would be appreciated

Myoko comes to mind, as far as the tech tree ships go.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Myoko

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

thanks to everyone

- Cruiser

- big guns

a ship you feel comfortable in , a ship you like playing , a ship  that works with your play style and most of all a ship that say's . win or loose im going to go out there do my best and have lots of fun with 

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thanks to everyone

- Cruiser

- big guns

Shakira - Try Everything (Official Video)

🙂 

• Like 1

@r_blackmore Welcome aboard. You're already off to a great start -- 48% WR for someone still at the beginning of their botes journey is nothing to sneeze at. Things will only get better from here 😃

Since others haven't addressed it, I will talk about some similarities/differences to WoT.

Different: WoWS is much slower than WoT, and the mistake that will get you killed and throw the match might have happened five minutes ago. Very few ships have the speed to truly rotate at will. In general, finish what is on your flank, rotate only if the alternative is certain useless death. 

Same: WoWS is an information game just like WoT. Gathering, processing, acting on info better than opponents will win you games. Concealment is king. Use the legal mods that help get you a better understanding of what is going on. Also, learn what RPF is and how to use it. 

Different: Consumables are incredibly important, varied, and game-defining. If you want to win, you gotta learn how to use them and abuse them. Start to memorize what ships have what so that you can anticipate what the enemy will bring (hint: if you mouse over the scoreboard you can see an info sheet). At the start of matches, try to formulate a game plan around what consumables the enemy might bring to your side. 

Same: Good Captains/Crew will win you games. Bare minimum is 10pts (so you can get concealment on DDs/CAs and Fire Prevention on BBs). Better yet would be a 14 or 18 pointer. I would go relatively early for the broken OP special captains (Lutyens, Kuznetsov, Sansonetti, Halsey, Yamamoto, Cunningham) and get them trained up. Consistently using them is easily worth +1-2% WR for a decent player.

Different: WoWS has multi-cap domination maps and arms race (mini-caps plus one giant endgame cap) as well as standard battle. They all play quite different if you're trying to maximize WR. Learn to use approach lanes to caps with good concealment, ambush capping ships while exposing yourself to as little risk as possible. (If you want to experiment, try writing down 100 games worth of battles and see if you struggle with one mode more than another).

Same: WoWS has dumb broken OP stuff just like tanks. You've probably already seen your fair share of Kamikazes/Fujins and maybe some Gremyashchy or Giulio Cesare by now. Maybe some Belfasts as well. Learn to spot the restricted rare ships in the lineup and why they're broken so you don't give up easy kills. 

Different: Gunnery is about where a collection of shells will probably land, not just one shell. Look up what Sigma means and how it is different from dispersion. Unlike in tanks, you will want to use aiming systems on pretty much everything other than specialized secondary/torp builds. Learn which lines (or individual ships) have particularly noteworthy accuracy characteristics (the WoWS wiki is a fantastic resource). Also, look up smoke fire penalty and figure out how to abuse it (in DDs and Cruisers). 

Same: Shell choice is very important. There are lots of different AP, semi-AP, and HE shells to learn, each with different fuses, ricochet angles and penetration values (though in general knowing pen values is only useful for SAP and HE). Understand what yours can do and what the enemy's can do to you, angling properly is the key in WoWS as well.

----

That's just some of the stuff off the top of my head. I have no doubt that you'll improve if you keep at it. You can always post replays if you get stumped. o7

• Like 2