Missing Carousel

meatgrindr

Log in, but in port the carousel is just blank, nothing but the ocean.  Log out, log back in and it's there.  Has happened 3 times in the last month or so.  Anybody else?

• Like 3

Only happened once to me so far and that was in the last update.

• Like 1

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times, Meat. No rhyme or reason, and I can't reproduce the glitch (so...no reason to send in a ticket as there doesn't seem to be a way to identify the bug).

• Like 2

Yes. Me. Happened a few times in the last weeks. As you stated, logging in anew fixes it. But lemme top up with something extra weird - I once (few weeks ago) logged in to find all my ships...except BBs. All BBs were gone. Bit of a shock, first 😄But they were there on renewed login.

• Like 1

The same happened to me at the update before last.  The carousel is working again, but one residual effect is that I cannot sort the carousel by ship type or tier.  I just live with having to scroll through all of my ships.  I am hoping the problem will be corrected in future updates (but not really expecting it do so). 

Same happened to me not too long ago.

IIRC didn't need to log out, I either played a battle or more probably popped over to Armory and the carousel was back.

Yes ... it happened once.

I think it was just after the latest patch, but it may have been just before the patch ... I honestly can't remember.

4 hours ago, meatgrindr said:

Log in, but in port the carousel is just blank, nothing but the ocean.  Log out, log back in and it's there.  Has happened 3 times in the last month or so.  Anybody else?

It happens, what you do is either select the ship you want through the tech tree or go into battle with whatever ship is chosen and it'll return to normal after you come back to port.

• Like 1

My carousel gripe, (I have encountered the blank carousel,) would be that the stupid thing zero's back out to Hashidate every time I start the game again.

I wish this stupid problem would stay fixed, as it is something which has happened in the past.

In case anyone is thinking about it being due to mods, I can tell you that, as far as I can tell, the missing carousel is not due to any mods being used. At least not any UI related mods, as I've had it once myself only using cosmetic mods.

• Like 1

It's happened to me a couple of times in the past 48 hours.

And as @Admiral_Karasu noted ... I don't use any mods which impact the port UI.

• Like 2

It hit me again this morning. Also, a couple of other port functions (Naval Battles screen, Armory) wouldn't come up. Part of the same problem? Heck if I know.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I submitted a ticket to customer support a week or two ago and this is their response:

"Hello, Justin_Simpleton‍.
 To solve the problem, try resetting the game client settings by deleting the preferences.xml and user_preferences.xml files, which are located in the game folder.
 Please inform us of the result. "

I haven't done that because I can't repeat the problem, but it has happened again.  The ticket has been closed.  I don't know what these files are/do.

Edited by Justin_Simpleton
clarification
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I submitted a ticket to customer support a week or two ago and this is their response:

"Hello, Justin_Simpleton‍.
 To solve the problem, try resetting the game client settings by deleting the preferences.xml and user_preferences.xml files, which are located in the game folder.
 Please inform us of the result. "

I haven't done that because I can't repeat the problem, but it has happened again.  The ticket has been closed.  I don't know what these files are/do.

Thanks for submitting the ticket. As for the solution, I would be hesitant to dig in to the game files and start deleting stuff.  The glitch isn't really game-breaking, and I'm worried I would delete the wrong thing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

I would be hesitant to dig in to the game files and start deleting stuff

When WG requests that players "dig" into files, to me, that is a red flag that someone (hint) does not have a clue about the game's coding.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

When WG requests that players "dig" into files, to me, that is a red flag that someone (hint) does not have a clue about the game's coding.

Yeah, I find this kind of advice from customer support to be somewhat unhelpful. I'm not a programmer, and I'm not inclined to go mucking around in the guts of the game. Too much chance I would hit the wrong key and blow something up.

17 minutes ago, HogHammer said:
22 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

I would be hesitant to dig in to the game files and start deleting stuff

If someone had an explanation of what these preference files do, I would be more inclined to do as they say.  I hesitate to mess up whatever preferences I have going now to chase a bug a I can't replicate.  It's probably an item left off an 'if' statement in the code.  These are hard buggers to find.

• Like 2

Following up on this topic

For those who have seen this problem, please check to see if you can open the preferences.xml file. Don't change anything.  I get an error message and I wonder if others get that message too.

• Like 1

@Justin_Simpleton This type of file "can" be opened in Notepad. However, as @oldblackdog says, I would be very hesitant to start messing around with it. Here is an example just to give you a peek at what you would be looking at—this is only a very small fraction of the overall file.

xmlfile.thumb.png.5d9549bca954e538c79f83dce6f63339.png

If you give it an attempt to change anything, I wish you much luck...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HogHammer said:

@Justin_Simpleton This type of file "can" be opened in Notepad. However, as @oldblackdog says, I would be very hesitant to start messing around with it. Here is an example just to give you a peek at what you would be looking at—this is only a very small fraction of the overall file.

xmlfile.thumb.png.5d9549bca954e538c79f83dce6f63339.png

If you give it an attempt to change anything, I wish you much luck...

Holy Crow! No way I would try to mess around with something like that...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, oldblackdog said:

Holy Crow! No way I would try to mess around with something like that...

Same here.

IIRC, preferences.xml was the file where you could set a fixed FPS rate as well. Another way to do this would be with your GPU settings.

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

IIRC, preferences.xml was the file where you could set a fixed FPS rate as well. Another way to do this would be with your GPU settings.

If you use Aslain, this (FPS) can easily be set here. Aslain takes care of everything for you without you having to mess with the game files yourself.

Limits.thumb.png.e668d2ebe102866ec649552903534f87.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since installing the new update yesterday, this gremlin seems to be crawling around again. Anyone else? 

• Like 1