Did I miss the announcement on this? Change to ship combat/victory condition points.

AdmiralThunder

Posted (edited)

I do my best to keep up with game news but have to say I don't recall WG informing us this change was coming. Did I miss the announcement? This seems to be something that happened today as last update the points were normal from what I recall.

So what am I talking about you ask? I just had a Co-op game where it was a CV and a BB left for the bots and they only had 50 pts. So, if the bot BB got killed we had no chance to kill the CV unless a green went before or with it as the -60 pts would drop them to 0 and the mercy rule would kick in. As shown below (image from the wiki showing what points ships are worth) it has always been a BB is worth +40 pts for your team and -60 pts for the reds (a 100 pt total swing). 

spacer.png

But here is the weird thing. The bot BB did in fact get killed but the game kept going. No green died before it did and it wasn't a ram or anything. The game should have ended but I saw the bots still showed 10 pts. I was like What??? I know the point swing totals and what the reds lose when you kill something and it didn't add up. So I hit TAB and looked and saw this...

spacer.png

Everything has the exact same point value now. CV's and BB's no longer give/cost more points.  No sure if this is JUST for Co-op (maybe something to combat the mercy rule???) or if it applies to Randoms too (will check next time I play a Random - unless someone wants to screenshot it and check for me).

This is a strange change and one I don't remember WG announcing to us was coming. Keep it in mind for Co-op at least because the point swings are different now. Not sure if this hit Ranked or Clan Battles either but could be an even bigger impact there if they changed points for those modes too as they had a bigger point swing.

Just weird. I must have missed them announcing this (right???). 

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)

That does seem to be a bit peculiar, Admiral. I'll have to remember to check on this the next time I play.

Addition: Just checked the patch notes and I didn't find any mention of a change to the point scale.

Edited by oldblackdog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just took this screen shot from a domination battle. The points are different from your game.

shot-24.05.15_14.06.25-0028.jpg

• Like 1

They said a while ago they were reducing the points lost for certain ship classes. Probably a good six months ago.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Everything has the exact same point value now. CV's and BB's no longer give/cost more points.  No sure if this is JUST for Co-op (maybe something to combat the mercy rule???) or if it applies to Randoms too (will check next time I play a Random - unless someone wants to screenshot it and check for me).

It was changed/added at least a couple patches ago. I don’t think it’s only in co-op (since WG has always opposed requests for co-op getting different points for ships for “consistency,” which is why they increased the starting points instead), but I haven’t really paid attention to the points in randoms. It isn’t all co-op games though, since I’ve had some that definitely had the old points values and mercy rule-d out with 1/2 ships left, and some that we could kill all the bots without losing a human. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 1

Leave it to WG to muck something else up. Thanks for the replies.

1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

This is a strange change and one I don't remember WG announcing to us was coming. Keep it in mind for Co-op at least because the point swings are different now. Not sure if this hit Ranked or Clan Battles either but could be an even bigger impact there if they changed points for those modes too as they had a bigger point swing.

Random is unchanged, but I remember in Clan Battles either every class has the same point loss now, or cruisers and destroyers have the same point loss. I'm not sure if it was always like that or if it was changed recently but I only noticed the difference between Randoms and CBs in that regard last season. 

So standard battle and 4 cap games in Co-op use the old point system. 3 cap games use that new one. Just stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

So standard battle and 4 cap games in Co-op use the old point system. 3 cap games use that new one. Just stupid. 

Maybe, they are testing "tolerances" in game speeds to see what produces the best throughput?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Asym said:

Maybe, they are testing "tolerances" in game speeds to see what produces the best throughput?

Hopefully that doesn’t mean we also have to test the other direction, with everything having higher points value…

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 1

There was a reworked version of Domination battles that had a different points gained/loss for certain maps, but this was a year ago and I guess WG silently decided to keep it and no one noticed.

On 5/15/2024 at 3:11 PM, Unlooky said:

Random is unchanged

Randoms definitely has it as an option (or at least it does now if it didn’t always). Just had a 3 cap domination game on trident with the -25/+40 system. I’ve had a bunch of other 3 cap games the last few days that use the old numbers, so it’s not an every game thing though.