I hate wasting coupons... Updated

Col_NASTY

Once again only 12 days until my steele coupon resets.

I usually get cornered here and buy a ship even if it doesn't really excite me to have it.

I have 4 of them already. The Meck, Bourg , Z-42 ( like this one ) and also the Ragnar that can be fun !

The only 2 left I have any positive thoughts about are the Shikishima and the Stalingrad.

I could buy 3 of either without the coupon but that's no fun.  I want to use my coupon and save 25% on a single ship.

I have the Yammy and Musashi but hear good things about Shiski.. but is it worth having all 3?

I have Petro and Kronshtadt ( don't play the Kron much though ) I remember the legend of the Stalingrad years ago when I couldn't have her.  Is she still worth it?

I'm familiar with their stats but how do they work now?

I resist WG coupon blandishments. If everyone did this WG would (possibly) get the message. Be part of the solution & not part of the problem.

• Bored 1

6 minutes ago, Aethervox said:

I resist WG coupon blandishments. If everyone did this WG would (possibly) get the message. Be part of the solution & not part of the problem.

I understand the sentiment.

That said , I do not fall into that category.  I am approaching 110K Steel so it's not like they make anything from me by my spending steel with a coupon or not.

Many of us here have a glut of resources and nothing to spend them on anymore.

At this point it's just not as much fun.

WG took all the development of new stuff we could buy with it away.

Posted (edited)

Stalin plays different than Petro. Great ship if one has good aim, because the majority of the shells are going into that spot. 14.2 conceal. 

Can’t speak to Shiki. 

on edit: I need 56 steel to be able to use coupon on Austin. 🤞

Edited by DoW_
  • Like 1

The Shikki is basically Yamato with less guns and not as good dispersion. It’s a side grade to Yammy. 
Stalingrad is toast in randoms. She can still do ok in CB, but you’re better off with Petro or Moskva.  
Austin is a great boat for what she does.  Dakka, dakka, dakka, dakka. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

I usually get cornered here and buy a ship even if it doesn't really excite me to have it.

I have 4 of them already. The Meck, Bourg , Z-42 ( like this one ) and also the Ragnar that can be fun !

I was at a similar crossroads and opted to buy the Ragnar and the Gato;.  No regrets on the Ragnar and I haven't played the Gato.

2 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

I was at a similar crossroads and opted to buy the Ragnar and the Gato;.  No regrets on the Ragnar and I haven't played the Gato.

Ragnar is so fun much of the time.  Don't/Won't play subs so If Gato was free I wouldn't get it. I have too many Subs already that are basically Reefs.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

I have Petro and Kronshtadt ( don't play the Kron much though ) I remember the legend of the Stalingrad years ago when I couldn't have her.  Is she still worth it?

Very unfun to play Stalin positionally now if you just want to be able to go where you like and do things without much harassment, because the legend of her guns has been thoroughly absorbed by everyone, so everyone focuses her. Her high thin sides guarantee someone will get you good if you mess up when moving, and the 60s fires and no fire build possible means she burns down fast too.

But the guns are really good. Really really good. They have 50mm of pen on Kron at 15km (Kron is about 350mm at 15km), and Kron's guns have crazy pen for even supercruisers. The difference narrows down to way less at 20km, but Stalin also has the medium fuses (0.022) so she can cit cruisers and BBs pretty well, whereas Kron has the long BB fuses (0.033) for her AP. Stalin's even more accurate since she uses the supercruiser dispersion pattern instead of BB like Kron, and she has pretty high sigma too. So the guns themselves are very fun to use.

I'm only middling with my Stalin since I got her when I was easier to tilt as a player, but she's capable of a lot. Best used in divisions when supporting more flexible ships, or as bait so your divmates can feed on whoever decides they hate your guns enough to come in and try to kill you. But if you do that, you will almost never get to use the rear turret.

The alternate camo also looks really nice, at least I think so.

Edited by MnemonScarlet
  • Like 1

I got the Gato because it looks pretty sitting in port.  Maybe, someday, I'll take her out for a cruise (no longer than three hrs.).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Type_93 said:

and not as good dispersion

It’s actually the opposite.

Shiki has better numerical dispersion than even UU Yamato (and the same sigma as Yamato). In practice it’s about the same since Yamato has the extra gun on each turret, though. And some people find twin gun turrets to be a bit less consistent as well, since they are more susceptible to bad RNG rolls. 

But you are right about it basically being a Yamato sidegrade, and probably less useful if you already have Yamato (and even less with Musashi too). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If it’s just limited to those two, I’d probably lean slightly toward Stalingrad. But neither are necessarily must haves now in your situation (and the current game state).

Shiki is (on paper) a more accurate Yamato for the Brawling Yamato enthusiasts. It’s even slightly more accurate than UU Yamato, although Yamato’s three extra barrels kind of evens that out. And it’s still a Yamato hull and citadel cheek, plus the same slow turret traverse, so brawling still isn’t ideal. But it has the better secondaries if you want that option. It’s main issue is it doesn’t really offer a big difference compared to Yamato, so it’s less worthwhile if you already have Yamato (and Musashi). I got mine a while ago because I didn’t really have an interest in grinding the IJN BBs and it filled that role, but you already have effectively the same ship from the tech tree.

Stalingrad is maybe a little less meta than it used to be, but it’s main traits are still the same. It’s a durable bow tanker (but it burns a lot) with very potent guns that you don’t want on your broadside. The huge exposed citadel and loss of survivability skills hurt it more than some of the other Russian cruisers, and it’s not as common a pick for comp anymore. But it’s still a consistent gun platform, sort of between Moskva and Petro in terms of performance and play style. I’m not sure I’d buy it now, but it’s at least the more unique option of the two.

If you’re open to other options, I might recommend Lauria, or possibly even Kommissar (if you can use the coupon on it once the new patch comes out) if you really want uniqueness. 

Lauria is kind of the Italian take on Thunderer. A bit squishier than some BBs with limited range, but very accurate guns compared to the tech tree (even after the buffs) and it slaps most things. Especially cruisers, since both your shell types overmatch 30mm plating. Like the tech tree you’re “limited” against DDs (both main gun shells are capped at 10%, no fire setting, and slow secondary reload), but even with the cap they won’t like getting hit by your guns. CVs are going to be a problem just like other Italian ships though, and you don’t have a smokescreen to escape with. 

Kommissar isn’t necesssrily a super strong ship (and I’d put it lower on my list), but it is unique. Possibly one of the most unique options right now for steel. You’re a bit squishier than the other Russian heavy cruisers, and you’re very long and clumsy. But you get a squad of Nakhimov rocket planes, which are invaluable for spotting (for your team or yourself, with the delay) and for harassing larger or stationary ships. And you still have Russian guns, so you’re not limited to relying on your planes. However, I might hold off on that one, until we know how CV Rework 2.0 will affect hybrids.

Austin can also be fun, but it’s more of a feast or famine ship and relies on your skill and cooperative enemies. With the reload booster active you’ll melt destroyers and chew through broadside cruisers, and then you have to wait for the next burst. Your guns are still capable without it, but it does pay a bit for that burst potential. I like mine, but it’s also not a must have pick. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

The only 2 left I have any positive thoughts about are the Shikishima and the Stalingrad.

I could buy 3 of either without the coupon but that's no fun.  I want to use my coupon and save 25% on a single ship.

I have the Yammy and Musashi but hear good things about Shiski.. but is it worth having all 3?

Update.. Been watching newer vids on both and looking at comments. Shiski is not very impressive anymore so it may just be the Stalingrad.

Stalingrad is still a very respectable choice. Imagine a Petro with even better AP, and with respectable HE to back it up. She plays more open water because of her 60 second fires and abysmal concealment, but her guns have incredible accuracy at all ranges unlike Petro. 

Shikishima, if you already have Yamato and Musashi, is more than likely a waste of steel for you at this point. 

I can't recommend Lauria enough. That ship is incredibly stupid. It hits 40 knots with a brisk build, and it has amazing concealment so activating brisk is no issue. Easily capable of doing 20k a salvo to every class in the game except for destroyers. If you hate subs, battleship SAP does full damage to submarines. I've one shotted multiple unaware submarines at this point (even won 2.5k dubs in a contest Yuro was holding for killing submarines.) Its only real weakness is lack of shell volume and it doesn't get idiot proof armor  when broadside (although the armor is good when angled properly, including an HE immune 120mm stern deck.) If you're even moderately skilled with battleships, you should be average 110k+. 

• Like 1

I want coal things more then steel ships. So I use my steel to suppliment coal. French unique commander and Agir are next on my list. 

2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

If you’re open to other options, I might recommend Lauria, or possibly even Kommissar (if you can use the coupon on it once the new patch comes out) if you really want uniqueness. 

According to a video from PQ, you won't be able to use the coupon on the Kommissar during the next patch, but only the one after the next.

7 hours ago, Col_NASTY said:

Well, a Shikishima sunk my 75% HP Kaga in one salvo.  That incident piqued my interest in the Shikishima.
It took me a while to accumulate the required steel, though.
So, by the time I welcomed the Shikishima, I already had the ARP Yamato and the tech-tree Yamato in my port.

Granted, I am a fan of the Yamato for a variety of reasons.  And, after test-sailing her, I've become and remained a fan of the Shikishima.

So, for me, it's been worth having "all three", even if I have a different set of three.  I'm still trying to acquire the Musashi.

Thanks for all the input.  I couldn't make up my mind so I got both.

See you out there!

fy89pfy8f.thumb.png.1e9d645049d22e8d0b4fa29144e76560.png

dt6dt7dt7o.thumb.png.958a938c92b85be3afe9ebfe77b4cf09.png

• Like 4
  • Bored 1

• Col_NASTY changed the title to I hate wasting coupons... Updated
1 minute ago, Col_NASTY said:

I couldn't make up my mind so I got both.

That sounds familiar...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/13/2024 at 4:27 PM, Col_NASTY said:

If you have Yamato you dont need Shiki. While Stalin and Petro are not the same.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 2:45 PM, Justin_Simpleton said:

(no longer than three hrs.).

That was the Minnow's original plan, and look what happened to her!!!

• Like 2

I used to feel like that, didn't want to waste coupons, but now days I dont really feel like grinding Coal/steel as much, or maybe its just getting harder, so the stuff I have I hold on to for some really special ship.

I know that with my luck, if I bought Salem, which I consider a bit meeeh, I know WG will release a AMAZING Coal ship 3 days later when I played 3 games in her.

Posted (edited)

Unless there is something I really want, I hoard my steel, coal and Research Bureau points until I have enough to buy two ships.  That provides a mental safety net so if I buy one, I can still buy another if something cool gets released.  If I miss a coupon, so be it.  There are several coal and steel ships I don't have, but none of them tickle my interests at the moment.

Coal ships I don't have:

• Malta
  • Immelmann
  • Groningan (have Friesland)
  • Azuma
  • Tulsa
  • Z-44

Steel ships I don't have:

• FDR
  • Shikishima
  • Mecklenburg
  • Austin
  • Stalingrad
  • Z-42
  • Ragnar
  • Plymouth
  • Vallejo
  • Komissar
Edited by desmo_2
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Unless there is something I really want, I hoard my steel, coal and Research Bureau points until I have enough to buy two ships. 

I agree. 

I got two this time. One with coupon and one without.

I still have almost 60K Steel left because I have been holding on to it for some time because I have all the Steel ships I want already.

Same thing goes for coal.. Over time as you get all of the available ships it just piles up and it seems like they never make new ones ( that are worth it ) to spend it on. Close to 2.5 M Coal waiting for something to spend it on besides Upgrades.😏