concepts of captain skill i would like to see

pepe_trueno

Posted (edited)

just throwing some concepts of unique skills that can open new builds

beehive shells (DDs,Cruisers and BBs)

long range AA aura +3km

% of main guns HE damage is added to long range AA aura:
15% of main gun HE damage is added to long range aura for DDs, 6% of main gun HE damage is added to long range aura for cruisers, 2% of main gun HE damage is added to long range aura for BBs,  

-50% to main guns HE damage, +50%  to main guns HE area of effect

main gun charge modification (DDs, cruisers and BBs)

increase main gun ROF by 10%
reduce main gun shell speed by 15%
reduce main gun range by 15%

seasoned crew (all)

DDs, subs and cvs: 0.5% increase consumables duration For each potential damage multiple

cruisers and BBs: 0.9% increase consumables duration For each potential damage multiple 

precise shooting (DDs, cruiser, BBs)

-15% to main  guns dispersion
+15% to AP penetration and shell speed
15% reduced main gun ROF for DDs, 20% reduced main gun ROF for cruisers, 25% reduced main gun ROF for BBs,

torpedo modification (DDs, cruisers, Cvs)

+15% to torpedo speed
+15% to torpedo range
-30% to torpedo damage
+20% torpedo min range

Edited by pepe_trueno
  • Like 2

Most of this is already covered in existing Commanders Skills and Upgrades.  I don't see what these would bring to the game that those don't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jakob Knight said:

Most of this is already covered in existing Commanders Skills and Upgrades.  I don't see what these would bring to the game that those don't.

And the few that aren’t, mostly won’t get added anyway. 

The AA range boost from beehive shells is a no-go and has been since the CV rework. Before that, AFT increased your AA range (to the point your AA range could exceed your air detect range on some ships, although this has been removed). WG stated during that time that AA range extensions weren’t something they were interested in doing, for the same reason they standardized radar ranges.

The same would be the case for torp range increasing skills. Different modules have different ranges, and they’re otherwise fixed for a good reason. You can modify the speed slightly, but not range. And minimum arming distance is also fixed by torpedo type.

Reducing main gun shell speed with a skill is going to be a huge can of worms, and I could see it causing plenty of issues with shell ballistics and other mechanics as they’re handled server side. Could it be done? Possibly. But having seen other things still be broken years later by a change to one ship that inadvertently affected others, I wouldn’t try it.

57 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

precise shooting (DDs, cruiser, BBs)

-15% to main  guns dispersion
+15% to AP penetration and shell speed
-15% to main gun reload for DDs, -20% to main gun reload for cruisers, -25% to main gun reload for BBs,

This one is probably the most problematic. Every single one of those is a straight buff, and the only “downside” would be the points cost (and what you give up for it). Very few skills are like that, and this would be an almost mandatory skill pick on everything regardless of cost. And WG doesn’t generally like “no-brainer” type skills, especially ones that have basically no downsides like this. 

The absolute best case scenario I could see for this is a gimmick for an event mode ship. It wouldn’t be a thing for “regular” ships. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

And the few that aren’t, mostly won’t get added anyway. 

The AA range boost from beehive shells is a no-go and has been since the CV rework. Before that, AFT increased your AA range (to the point your AA range could exceed your air detect range on some ships, although this has been removed). WG stated during that time that AA range extensions weren’t something they were interested in doing, for the same reason they standardized radar ranges.

The same would be the case for torp range increasing skills. Different modules have different ranges, and they’re otherwise fixed for a good reason. You can modify the speed slightly, but not range. And minimum arming distance is also fixed by torpedo type.

Reducing main gun shell speed with a skill is going to be a huge can of worms, and I could see it causing plenty of issues with shell ballistics and other mechanics as they’re handled server side. Could it be done? Possibly. But having seen other things still be broken years later by a change to one ship that inadvertently affected others, I wouldn’t try it.

we already have skills and modules that increase main gun and secondary range so why would it be a problem to increase AA and torpedo range?

The AA rework destroyed the concept of AA support ship, The skill is only bringing back that possibility.

main gun shell speed is already affected by drag coefficient making it lose speed over distance, It will only change the initial speed.

21 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

This one is probably the most problematic. Every single one of those is a straight buff, and the only “downside” would be the points cost (and what you give up for it). Very few skills are like that, and this would be an almost mandatory skill pick on everything regardless of cost. And WG doesn’t generally like “no-brainer” type skills, especially ones that have basically no downsides like this. 

The absolute best case scenario I could see for this is a gimmick for an event mode ship. It wouldn’t be a thing for “regular” ships. 

"-% to main gun reload" is a negative effect, probably poorly worded 😝

Edited by pepe_trueno

3 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

just throwing some concepts of unique skills that can open new builds

While you have suggested some new skills, I think what will happen, if any of these ideas were adopted, is that there will be even more 'gimmicks' in WoWS & there are, already, far too many 'gimmicks'. For this reason your post is a hard 'NO' from me.

• Like 2

The beehive shells, sadly, do not work as well as expected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

The question is would this break the game engine if so? I think the game engine is stressed as is. That is why matches are getting smaller with the teams. There are only so many objects that can be tracked in a match.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

The question is would this break the game engine if so? I think the game engine is stressed as is. That is why matches are getting smaller with the teams. There are only so many objects that can be tracked in a match.

So they need to buff the hamsters?  😉 
hm_13.jpg?333&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=32526333c90  

• Haha 2
  • Bored 1

2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

So they need to buff the hamsters?  😉 

The 'Herrings'. 😁 Sheesh, this is a marine environment  in WoWS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Have you ever shot one?  Or, canister?  Out of the M68A1 and, Canister in the M256, they are absolutely amazing.

In Naval use, the surface effects would "strip that ship" of available communications and radar antenna and FDC's ability to range.

It would be a Destroyer or Light Cruiser skill set...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And, I would suggest:  "the Golden Wrench..."  A enhanced repair skill that is only effective for lighter ships:  DD's and CL's in particular...  The cost would be a reduction in Speed and an increase in smoke duration... 

We could explore "the black hole" skill that is an anti-radar jammer of short duration (Tier leveled to the radar in that match...)

Edited by Asym
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asym said:

Have you ever shot one?  Or, canister?  Out of the M68A1 and, Canister in the M256, they are absolutely amazing.

In Naval use, the surface effects would "strip that ship" of available communications and radar antenna and FDC's ability to range.

It would be a Destroyer or Light Cruiser skill set...

Oh, well, no I meant against air planes.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Oh, well, no I meant against air planes.

Here's a screen shot from Master and Commander's first combat scene, where the enemy ship is using grape shot.

image.thumb.png.6ca3f5f5aef906c0438c93fda40c1037.png

It scours that deck of everything...   Now imagine, a 5 inch version in a CL or 120 to 150mm versions of canister in DD's....  The M256 shooting the M1028 Canister round,

image.png.aa2cf4929cf112f2fa26c2b38d2717ce.png would do the same thing to a modern ship.   That's a lot of Tungsten ball bearings, going warp 9.  Remember, distance can be controlled as to when the bearings are exploded. 

As a DD or CL round, it would "scour" all antenna, exposed people and non-armored structures off the ship...

• Like 1

"Well oiled hinges" Rudder shift time -15%

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asym said:

Here's a screen shot from Master and Commander's first combat scene, where the enemy ship is using grape shot.

image.thumb.png.6ca3f5f5aef906c0438c93fda40c1037.png

It scours that deck of everything...   Now imagine, a 5 inch version in a CL or 120 to 150mm versions of canister in DD's....  The M256 shooting the M1028 Canister round,

image.png.aa2cf4929cf112f2fa26c2b38d2717ce.png would do the same thing to a modern ship.   That's a lot of Tungsten ball bearings, going warp 9.  Remember, distance can be controlled as to when the bearings are exploded. 

As a DD or CL round, it would "scour" all antenna, exposed people and non-armored structures off the ship...

The Yamato's Beehive Shells

Kancolle Yamato in action

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Yamato's Beehive Shells

Kancolle Yamato in action

1, 050 about 1 Inch Tungsten balls moving at warp 9.....   This is the M256, 120mm Tank Rifle.  Imagine the 5", which is about 127mm shooting even larger balls in a proximety self detonating canister....and, what that would do to antennas, and anything not armored.....

11 hours ago, Asym said:

1, 050 about 1 Inch Tungsten balls moving at warp 9.....   This is the M256, 120mm Tank Rifle.  Imagine the 5", which is about 127mm shooting even larger balls in a proximety self detonating canister....and, what that would do to antennas, and anything not armored.....

"Warp 9"?  Ahem.  I think you exaggerate.
While the ammunition you describe is impressive, I'm confident the projectiles travel substantially slower than "Warp 9".  🙂 
Also, 18-inch Yamato/Musashi guns.  Enough said.  🙂 
I did like your reference of the movie "Master & Commander" though.  Good movie.  🙂