Best lines to start

Ferdinand_Max

So what are the best lines to pursue for now, considering the state of the game? I wanted German BBs and UK DDs for some close-range brawling, but between CVs and submarines I find that unlikely...

Would these be good choices?

BB - IJN, GER?

BC - IJN, GER?, UK?

CC - IJN, ITA, FR?

DD - IJN, UK

SS - GER

CV - UK

And which lines to focus on for now?

• Like 2

I was looking at going no higher than Tier VIII as that is where it seems historical ships end for the most part, but this sounds like that is way too high?

@Ferdinand_Max  Are you a new player or have game experience?  Co-op or random player?  To really do your question justice, we need a little more information.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

I was looking at going no higher than Tier VIII as that is where it seems historical ships end for the most part, but this sounds like that is way too high?

IF its cool with you then play it... I, stick around the sweet spot of tiers 5 - 8. 

If you still want to brawl, then go German BBs. CVs and subs are not in every match... Since German BBs have hydro.. Spotting subs is not that hard. 

------------------------

If responses are going through "acceptable/edited" changes for  their honesty. Whats the point of asking for different view points if your getting the "approved" response, not reflective of the Posters main point ...

Edited by Navalpride33
Clarity (suppressed opinion) for reader.
  • Like 1

welcome to the forum @Ferdinand_Max

I wouldn't bother about setting a Tier limit - just see where things get you. IMO, you really should just try out the different lines - there are all manner of flavors to enjoy. Personally, I played most lines simultaneously, but I particularly enjoyed the French BBs, or German for brawls. Japanese destroyers and American cruisers. But what you like to play and the scenarios you prefer will be factors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HogHammer said:

@Ferdinand_Max  Are you a new player or have game experience?  Co-op or random player?  To really do your question justice, we need a little more information.

I played the game before, under a different name, but that was... quite a while ago. I don't remember much, and at any rate there were very few things back then - no hybrids, no submarines, no airstrike ships, far fewer lines. From what I remember, entirety of Italian, Spanish, Dutch, and maybe Panamerican and Panasian lines, as well as some elements of US, German, British and few other lines, did not exist back then.

So technically I am not a new player, but I really have no clue about the state of the game as it is so I may as well be. I remember few basic mechanics such as angling and overpen mechanics but that's it.

6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

IF its cool with you then play it... I, stick around the sweet spot of tiers 5 - 8. 

If you still want to brawl, then go German BBs. CVs and subs are not in every match... Since German BBs have hydro.. Spotting subs is not that hard.

6 hours ago, I_cant_Swim_ said:

welcome to the forum @Ferdinand_Max

I wouldn't bother about setting a Tier limit - just see where things get you. IMO, you really should just try out the different lines - there are all manner of flavors to enjoy. Personally, I played most lines simultaneously, but I particularly enjoyed the French BBs, or German for brawls. Japanese destroyers and American cruisers. But what you like to play and the scenarios you prefer will be factors.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

So what are the best lines to pursue for now, considering the state of the game? I wanted German BBs and UK DDs for some close-range brawling, but between CVs and submarines I find that unlikely...

Hi mate, welcome to the Forum and welcome back to the Game.   

Imo, the first thing You need to learn the Game is time to observe and experience its different aspects, so lines with simple gameplay loops and good survivability will fit You better:   

BB: UK Conqueror line. Simple and effective play style, shoot HE at angled targets, AP at broadside.  

CA: UK Goliath line. Same as BBs, simple and versatile with Healing and good survivability.

DD: Pan Euro Halland line. Build them for torpedoes. The torps have good range and are easy to use, good for learning the trade. Lack of smoke help You avoid noob traps and learning Bad habits. The healing Will help You survive mistakes.  

Submarine: German Submarines, no question. 

CV: I'm not the Best qualified on this área but probably US CVs are the Best entry point to planes.    

Expand your experience playing different ship types. I think wise to stay at T5-T8 while your learn the Game. 

• Like 3

I think the two original nations are still goodish. They were made for the original game, so there's a bit of nostalgia coupled with decent performance, and it's all gimmick free too!

Personally, beyond those lines pretty much my favorite would the Pan-European DD's. Those are smoke free.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

BB - IJN, GER?

BC - IJN, GER?, UK?

CC - IJN, ITA, FR?

DD - IJN, UK

SS - GER

CV - UK

There is no "best".  Just have fun.
I'm in no particular hurry to grind up to the top tiers in some lines, and, in other lines I've reached Tier-10 or even Supership.

Also, the mission-chains and tasks sometimes require a specific ship type or a ship from a particular nation.  So that can be "distracting" if one isn't trying to grind the ship(s) or line(s) called-for by the mission task(s).

Just have fun.  🙂 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

BB - IJN, GER?

BC - IJN, GER?, UK?

CC - IJN, ITA, FR?

DD - IJN, UK

SS - GER

CV - UK

Ok so from what I've read you're basically a newer player. I would recommend grinding these lines all the way to tier 10 to get some basic game knowledge and understanding.

BBs:

Montana and Yamato

Cruisers:

Des Moines, Petro and Castilla

DDs:

Gearing and Daring

SS:

I'm pretty sure German subs are best for newer players

CVs:

IJN or US Midway lines are best for newer players.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Please keep individual attitudes/opinions out of this thread, which is intended to help people with questions they may have.

Edited by HogHammer

6 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

Don't set a tier limit, learn to enjoy all tiers of the game. It's all quite enjoyable imo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

BB: UK Conqueror line. Simple and effective play style, shoot HE at angled targets, AP at broadside.  

Nope not a good choice, UK BBs rely mostly on HE which teaches bad habits for newer players.

CA: UK Goliath line. Same as BBs, simple and versatile with Healing and good survivability

Nope if you want to spam HE you go for either DM which actually requires the player to learn how to position which is important. Or if you want plain HE spam you can go with Castilla line

DD: Pan Euro Halland line. Build them for torpedoes. The torps have good range and are easy to use, good for learning the trade. Lack of smoke help You avoid noob traps and learning Bad habits. The healing Will help You survive mistakes. 

Nope, Halland line isn't good to begin with. Also having a newer player have to survive without smoke or larger hp pools isn't a good idea. Gearing or Daring is a much better idea.

3 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

There is no "best".  Just have fun.
I'm in no particular hurry to grind up to the top tiers in some lines, and, in other lines I've reached Tier-10 or even Supership.

Also, the mission-chains and tasks sometimes require a specific ship type or a ship from a particular nation.  So that can be "distracting" if one isn't trying to grind the ship(s) or line(s) called-for by the mission task(s).

Just have fun.  🙂 

That's good thinking, take your time, play what you like and just make sure to have fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Don't set a tier limit, learn to enjoy all tiers of the game. It's all quite enjoyable imo.

I think it is sensible to place a tier limit at T8 while You learn the ropes. The margin for error is narrower at higher tiers and it isn't a good place for learning core abilities. 

Nope not a good choice, UK BBs rely mostly on HE which teaches bad habits for newer players.

Nope if you want to spam HE you go for either DM which actually requires the player to learn how to position which is important. Or if you want plain HE spam you can go with Castilla line

Consider the lines going up to T8, not the full way up to T10. At that point the lines are a bit more generic. 

Starting with lines based on HE makes things simpler to learn. The healing helps survive mistakes. It's about taking baby steps... Before aiming specific sections of ships at specific angles You first need to land shells on the ship proper, get familiar with basic gunnery, leading and reticle usage. 

Going for a simple rule of AP on broadside and HE otherwise is a good first step for learning, not a Bad habits.    

Nope, Halland line isn't good to begin with. Also having a newer player have to survive without smoke or larger hp pools isn't a good idea. Gearing or Daring is a much better idea.

USN line is very hard to use at mid tiers imo. The RN has too many tools and requires a good knowledge to be effective, in the hands of a newbie it won't shine because of the subpar HP. 

The Halland line can comfortably spam torps from long distance and the lack of smoke forces You to learn how Concealment works. It is a safe line to play mid-range and learn the basics of DD play without distractions. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

BB - IJN, GER?

BC - IJN, GER?, UK?

CC - IJN, ITA, FR?

DD - IJN, UK

SS - GER

CV - UK

What sort of playstyle do you enjoy? What do you want out of your ships? 

Your choices are mostly fine, although I definitely wouldn't recommend the Schlieffen line unless you have a very high level (17+) German captain ready to go. That line absolutely needs a 21 point captain with a specific build. 

Japanese cruisers are a bit iffy. I think the Castilla line is a much more modern and beginner friendly line to teach new players kiting cruisers. The Yodo line is also the worst in the game currently, so avoid that at all costs.

I can't tell if you are looking into the Henri or Marseille line - Marseille requires a relatively high level captain as well, though not as extreme. I definitely would not recommend it to new players who most likely will find the line extremely frustrating to grind. Henri is a solid choice.

With the DDs, again, I can't tell if you mean Harugumo or Shimakaze line. The UK DD line is definitely the most beginner friendly though, followed closely by the American destroyers. 

German Submarines are the best pick if that's what you're looking for

UK CVs are absolutely not the pick. Go with either Midway or Hakuryu line.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Well, I don't know if it's good or not, but to me it was a fun line to play and also required me to learn to play without the benefit of the smoke.

I've only managed to get two of the highest performance symbols. One with the Japanese DD's

100px-PCNU008.png

... and the second one is the European Fleet performance symbol.

100px-PCNU081.png

Also, I'm not a good player, so a good player can make this line work even better than I ever could. The only reservation I would make is that the game meta has changed for the worse since the Pan-European line was first introduced, so there is some room for words of caution.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Unlooky said:

What sort of playstyle do you enjoy? What do you want out of your ships? 

Basically three types of playstyle: close-in brawling (personal favorite), medium range shoot-and-scoot, and "bastion" bow-in tanking (least favorite unless I can get a brawl out of it).

I hate long-range HE spam playstyle. But with submarines and carriers around, I am not quite certain how likely any sort of brawl is to occur, hence the thought about the Japanese... long-range AP spam sounds a lot better than long-range HE spam! Even back in the day, when it was only surface ships and dedicated carriers, I don't think brawling was that common from what I remember... and now with hybrids, airstrike ships, submarines and all sorts of new bells and whistles I am utterly unfamiliar with...

12 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Japanese cruisers are a bit iffy. I think the Castilla line is a much more modern and beginner friendly line to teach new players kiting cruisers. The Yodo line is also the worst in the game currently, so avoid that at all costs.

I can't tell if you are looking into the Henri or Marseille line - Marseille requires a relatively high level captain as well, though not as extreme. I definitely would not recommend it to new players who most likely will find the line extremely frustrating to grind. Henri is a solid choice.

Thanks!

With the DDs, again, I can't tell if you mean Harugumo or Shimakaze line. The UK DD line is definitely the most beginner friendly though, followed closely by the American destroyers. 

Thanks.

WRT Japanese DDs, I was thinking trying out both and seeing what will fit me better.

German Submarines are the best pick if that's what you're looking for

UK CVs are absolutely not the pick. Go with either Midway or Hakuryu line.  

Thanks! TBH, submarines and CVs don't seem like classes I will likely find interesting to play at all, but I figured learning them would be worthwhile anyway, even if I tear all my hair out doing it.

16 hours ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Ok so from what I've read you're basically a newer player. I would recommend grinding these lines all the way to tier 10 to get some basic game knowledge and understanding.

BBs:

Montana and Yamato

Cruisers:

Des Moines, Petro and Castilla

DDs:

Gearing and Daring

SS:

I'm pretty sure German subs are best for newer players

CVs:

IJN or US Midway lines are best for newer players.

Thanks!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

Basically three types of playstyle: close-in brawling (personal favorite), medium range shoot-and-scoot, and "bastion" bow-in tanking (least favorite unless I can get a brawl out of it).

I hate long-range HE spam playstyle. But with submarines and carriers around, I am not quite certain how likely any sort of brawl is to occur, hence the thought about the Japanese... long-range AP spam sounds a lot better than long-range HE spam! Even back in the day, when it was only surface ships and dedicated carriers, I don't think brawling was that common from what I remember... and now with hybrids, airstrike ships, submarines and all sorts of new bells and whistles I am utterly unfamiliar with...

Close-in brawling has the fundamental problem of requiring a high level Captain for an effective build and enough knowledge and game experience to identify the right moment to commit to a push. I would say it is the least beginner firendly playstyle and honestly I don't recommend you focus on that at this entry point.

There's some lingering stygma on long-range HE spamming, as if it is something to be ashamed of. I recommend not limiting yourself to rigid thinking. HE spam can be very effective and it is a simple entry point for you to get familiarized to the game, but it doesn't need to be a restraining jacket. HE is a viable tool for most ships and you'll make yourself a diservice by dismissing it... but using HE doesn't mean forgetting about AP. Each munition has its advantages depending on the situation, part of the learning process is to understand when to use each one. 

What you call "bastion" playstyle is a legacy from older times, Submarines present the final nail on the coffin of static playstyles. I seriously recommend you considering bow-in tanking only as an extremely situational play choice, not a legitimate playstyle per se. 

28 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

WRT Japanese DDs, I was thinking trying out both and seeing what will fit me better.

Up to T7 they are more or less generic and interchangeable, it is only at T8 that both lines come into their own. Akizuki line is based on angry-smoke spamming, the Kagero line is probably a better learning path for the basics of DD play. 

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

Thanks! TBH, submarines and CVs don't seem like classes I will likely find interesting to play at all, but I figured learning them would be worthwhile anyway, even if I tear all my hair out doing it.

Indeed, learning the basics about CV and Subs will give you noticeable advantages when playing against them as other ship types. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Close-in brawling has the fundamental problem of requiring a high level Captain for an effective build and enough knowledge and game experience to identify the right moment to commit to a push. I would say it is the least beginner firendly playstyle and honestly I don't recommend you focus on that at this entry point.

There's some lingering stygma on long-range HE spamming, as if it is something to be ashamed of. I recommend not limiting yourself to rigid thinking. HE spam can be very effective and it is a simple entry point for you to get familiarized to the game, but it doesn't need to be a restraining jacket. HE is a viable tool for most ships and you'll make yourself a diservice by dismissing it... but using HE doesn't mean forgetting about AP. Each munition has its advantages depending on the situation, part of the learning process is to understand when to use each one. 

What you call "bastion" playstyle is a legacy from older times, Submarines present the final nail on the coffin of static playstyles. I seriously recommend you considering bow-in tanking only as an extremely situational play choice, not a legitimate playstyle per se. 

Thanks.

So, for battleships, what would be the best medium-range lines? I was thinking maybe USN and French?

29 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Up to T7 they are more or less generic and interchangeable, it is only at T8 that both lines come into their own. Akizuki line is based on angry-smoke spamming, the Kagero line is probably a better learning path for the basics of DD play. 

29 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Indeed, learning the basics about CV and Subs will give you noticeable advantages when playing against them as other ship types. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

So, for battleships, what would be the best medium-range lines? I was thinking maybe USN and French?

I stick to my guns, the British "traditional" line is a good entry point. QE at T6 is a solid Dreadnought type with good HE and AP. KGV is a great T7 with good mobility (USN and IJN at the same tier are still lumbering slow Dreadnoughts), definitively more HE oriented but you can still slap broadsides with AP, particularly Cruisers. I won't lie, Monarch at T8 feels like a downgrade from KGV and its only redeeming feature is awesome Concealment, I won't blame you if you want to stop the line there.

The mid tier French BBs are somewhat temperamental, they have a very particular gunnery due to their guns being small caliber. I feel they are more akin to playing a BC than a proper BB. I'm not sure what you learn from them would be easily translated to other ship lines. 

USN are OK-ish, the only sore point is Colorado at T7. Being ultra slow against T9 ships is tough school (same problem on IJN line), but once you reach NC you'll get a great, solid ship. Also Colorado is kinda a necesary evil because it opens the door to the other USN BB lines and you'll want to play them at some point. So, if you go USN is neither a bad choice.

The other BB lines are more specialized, I recommend tackling them once you learnt the basics on USN or UK lines (you can do both for extra experience).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

Avoid the British battleship (Conqueror) and heavy cruiser (Goliath) lines in that case, since that's pretty much all they do. 

I'd argue the Soviet battleship line is what you're looking for. They're strong close range thanks to their powerful guns and accurate close range dispersion, are more than adequate at medium ranges, and are rather poor at long ranges. However, they require discipline regarding damage control usage and have one less heal than other lines, and need good judgement on when to push and when to hold. Therefore, I'd recommend American battleships first, the Montana line specifically as a sort of introduction to BB gameplay. They're generalists and excel at medium range combat. Once you're re acquainted with how the game plays, then I would start going down the Soviet battleships. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Unlooky @BOBTHEBALL @Admiral_Karasu

So how does this sound?:

BB - USA for starters, later RU, FR

CC - USA for starters, later FR, ITA, ESP

DD - USA for starters, later UK, IJN

SS - GER

CV - USA

Edited by Ferdinand_Max
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ferdinand_Max said:

@Unlooky @BOBTHEBALL @Admiral_Karasu

So how does this sound?:

BB - USA for starters, later RU, FR

CC - USA for starters, later FR, ITA, ESP

DD - USA for starters, later UK, IJN

SS - GER

CV - USA

It's been a while since I actually played those lines myself.

The problem is that these lines are not entirely consistent. Let's take the US BB's, for instance. Going up that line you will find some good ones, an occasional bad one, and the entire line will change when you go to tier 8 and above. (I haven't played the alternate US BB line).

There are good options in all the lines, the trouble is you have to play and grind till you reach them. All of us here have our own favorites, and they are not always the same. People prefer different play styles. When I started out, we also didn't have any radar ships. If you want to have radar, make a note of that before you start out. The newer lines typically will have some kind of a gimmick that the older lines don't have.

As for the DD's, it depends also a bit if you are mun gunboat or torpedo boat oriented. I've mostly preferred torpedoes myself, and there I've found the IJN DD's to be my favorites. RU has some good ships, also DD's, but RU torps tend to be rather short range for the most part.

I think starting with US ships is a good idea. It will give you a reference point.

• Like 2