AI torpedo drop thru island?

Musket22

Don't know why it's bothering me now, but here goes.

Cruising beside an island, see on the mini-map that the bot CV has launched a flight of torpedo planes and think...

Surely they can't drop and activate when I'm this close to the island!

Yeah, think again, they can and do drop in what looks like the inside of the island to re-emerge beside you. 

My thinking is that if WG can program it so that AI torpedoes are stopped/explode when they hit other AI ships,

they can program the game so that the torps can't be dropped through the islands.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now, it could be that I was just imagining things, but I could swear in one battle they didn't actually drop anything, the torps just suddenly appeared in water and activated immediately and hit me about a second or two later. There was no island involved, it was in relatively open water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Musket22 said:

Don't know why it's bothering me now, but here goes.

Cruising beside an island, see on the mini-map that the bot CV has launched a flight of torpedo planes and think...

Surely they can't drop and activate when I'm this close to the island!

Yeah, think again, they can and do drop in what looks like the inside of the island to re-emerge beside you. 

My thinking is that if WG can program it so that AI torpedoes are stopped/explode when they hit other AI ships,

they can program the game so that the torps can't be dropped through the islands.

48 minutes ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Now, it could be that I was just imagining things, but I could swear in one battle they didn't actually drop anything, the torps just suddenly appeared in water and activated immediately and hit me about a second or two later. There was no island involved, it was in relatively open water.

First I've heard of these phenomena.
I'm curious to see replays or youtube videos.  🙂 
Also, as a diagnostic inquiry, "What were the ping/lag conditions at the time?"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

First I've heard of these phenomena.
I'm curious to see replays or youtube videos.  🙂 
Also, as a diagnostic inquiry, "What were the ping/lag conditions at the time?"

I'll make sure to get a replay saved next time.

Ping was/is 38 to 45ms with little or no lag

• Thanks 1

Because I'm currently playing Asymmetric a lot I've been doing a lot more island camping than I normally do in COOP. By this time I pretty much have an 'ideal' response for every possible ship and spawn combination on the limited maps we get in that mode.

Invariably I end up next to some kind of terrain feature so that I am covered from incoming fire from some of the map. Island, Iceberg ... whatever it might be ... I get pretty close but not TOO close so that when it's time to head out I don't end up grounding myself.

What I've noticed is that the Bot CV, if it's decided I'm the person to pick on, will absolutely drop torpedoes in the gap between my ship and the island. Invariably when that happens the torpedoes have time to track, but not time to arm themselves. So from a damage perspective it's all good.

As an aside ... from a logic perspective it's a farce. Given that the aircraft come over the island, and they can't lose much altitude or they would have flown past you, and they only have a VERY limited space in which to drop their torps ... it's entirely unrealistic to be watching and suddenly see three or four fish spawn exactly at the water's edge and come straight at you. The height that the aircraft are dropping from is excessive, and the water they are dropping into is too limited for what WG let's them get away with.

BUT ... it happens several times a day and thus far I've not seen any torps manage to get armed before they should.

Rest assured I'll keep note and report back if they do!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Musket22 said:

I'll make sure to get a replay saved next time.

Ping was/is 38 to 45ms with little or no lag

Replays save automatically

47 minutes ago, BOBTHEBALL said:

Replays save automatically

Yeah but you have to remember how long ago (this was 2 days ago?) and which one.

• Like 1