Closed Test 13.5 - New Ships

pepe_trueno

should we start with the speculation?,

Test Ships

We are adding several clones of existing ships for concept testing purposes:

• Colorado 2 (a clone of American Battleship Colorado, Tier VII)

• North Carolina 2 (a clone of American Battleship North Carolina, Tier VIII)

• Iowa 2 (a clone of American Battleship Iowa, Tier IX)

• Montana 2 (a clone of American Battleship Montana, Tier X)

• Admiraal (a ship based on Dutch Cruiser De Zeven Provinciën, Tier VIII)

montana line rework or new clone tree for another nation with a gimmick?

• Bored 1

Purely from the ships listed, a line rework seems the most likely, however, the Montana line itself makes very little sense to rework. All the ships are rather well balanced and don't really need any balance changes. 

Based off that, I want to speculate these are some sort of crossover copy variation that they're testing. 

• Confused 1

If these are all WG can offer the writing is on the wall.

• Like 1

Maybe it is a model redesign? They're some of the oldest in the game aren't they?

48 minutes ago, SolitudeFreak said:

Maybe it is a model redesign? They're some of the oldest in the game aren't they?

Yes, but new enhanced visuals are probably something they can do without test?

• Like 1

Perhaps testing some new AA/ASW mechanic? Subsurveillance?

Colorado given similar fantacy speed spike as Normandie?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

it's the way its worded what makes it weird

9 hours ago, SolitudeFreak said:

the part "for concept testing purposes" does not make it sound like a model change.

17 hours ago, Unlooky said:

Purely from the ships listed, a line rework seems the most likely, however, the Montana line itself makes very little sense to rework. All the ships are rather well balanced and don't really need any balance changes. 

Based off that, I want to speculate these are some sort of crossover copy variation that they're testing. 

i have to agree, montana line has been here since the biggining and despite all the changes the game has had the line was never considered underpowered or overpowered so a rebalance makes little sense.

5 hours ago, Itwastuesday said:

Perhaps testing some new AA/ASW mechanic? Subsurveillance?

a new mechanic seems more likely...

Spoiler

the last refit of iowa and De Zeven Provinciën  used missiles

i better start running now 😆

Edited by pepe_trueno

We finally chasing missiles?

Can we get tier 12 and beyond?

Well, that would definitely be a way to shake up "competitive" which has hard skewed into BBs that can over-match all armor being the gold standard for T10 games.

If you have the choice between a 457mm gunned BB or a 406mm gunned BB with a rocket/missile barrage on a ~3 minute tactical squadron CD that can hard punish island campers regardless of cover...

35 minutes ago, Kynami said:

Well, that would definitely be a way to shake up "competitive" which has hard skewed into BBs that can over-match all armor being the gold standard for T10 games.

If you have the choice between a 457mm gunned BB or a 406mm gunned BB with a rocket/missile barrage on a ~3 minute tactical squadron CD that can hard punish island campers regardless of cover...

we can get some rocket ships for those bow tanking BBS

19 hours ago, Unlooky said:

I suspect their testing something, it might be a rework. I actually disagree on no need for balance changes. None of them are strong choices from a pure performance analysis and are not viable competitive choices. They've been powercrept quiet heavily, WV 44, Massa, Georgia, and Ohio are superior without argument. New lines with better gimmicks have also come out since their introduction.

• Like 1

What I think they are investigating is the effect of the proposed CV changes on these ships and if they need to tweek the AA mechanics.  These are probably the test beds to see where the adjustments should be set to for other Battleships.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Jakob Knight said:

What I think they are investigating is the effect of the proposed CV changes on these ships and if they need to tweek the AA mechanics.  These are probably the test beds to see where the adjustments should be set to for other Battleships.

If that is true, then they will be killing CV play entirely.

It would mean the focus idea for the lines remains merely damage farming...which is the least interesting and most boring way to play.

59 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

If that is true, then they will be killing CV play entirely.

It would mean the focus idea for the lines remains merely damage farming...which is the least interesting and most boring way to play.

WHAT?!   how did his post generate that response from your fingers?  Please explain.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WES_HoundDog said:

WHAT?!   how did his post generate that response from your fingers?  Please explain.

WG has consistently wanted CVs to focus exclusively on damage racing each other...this has been the goal since before the 0.8.0 rework.

The rework explicitly gutted fighter builds in an attempt to force CV players to damage race rather than play vision control.

CV players took the rework and used it to kill DDs prejudicially because vision control is how you win games.

Now WG wants to change CVs so they can only strike what they see...i.e., stop CVs from having control over anything in battle except doing damage.

Using battleships as a test bed for these changes means WG expects that battleships will be the primary targets of CVs (despite that pretty much being the opposite of how a lot of them are played)...which means WGs continued obsession with making CV play boring and not what CV captains want continues.

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MBT808 said:

I suspect their testing something, it might be a rework. I actually disagree on no need for balance changes. None of them are strong choices from a pure performance analysis and are not viable competitive choices. They've been powercrept quiet heavily, WV 44, Massa, Georgia, and Ohio are superior without argument. New lines with better gimmicks have also come out since their introduction.

Balance changes aren't necessary. Georgia is better than Iowa (because its a stupidly broken ship), but the others are definite sidegrades. NC has significant advantages over Massa, and likewise Ohio vs Montana. Montana still is an above average battleship in both comp and randoms. If you don't have a specific strategy in mind for your battleship, it's the best multirole battleship in the game. It does not any major disadvantages, unlike the new line releases.  

• Like 2

Watch them tack on DFAA and then nerf the reload. Juuuuust watch.

40 minutes ago, Wrath_of_Deadguy said:

Watch them tack on DFAA and then nerf the reload. Juuuuust watch.

DFAA is only used to make bad AA situationally useful.

It has only rarely been used to make good AA better.

The plans for CV changes though will also mean AA changes...so I don't think we have enough info to meaningfully speculate.

I believe this could be the new Bhutanese Battleship line that WG have been promising for ages.

Really hope so, look forward to there first dockyard event, there Naval base on the Manas river is one of the biggest in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manas_River

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tm63au said:

I believe this could be the new Bhutanese Battleship line that WG have been promising for ages.

Really hope so, look forward to there first dockyard event, there Naval base on the Manas river is one of the biggest in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manas_River

That has been confirmed. WG is already drafting the DevBlog entry for that.

And after the Bhutanese line has been introduced, the Mongolian battleship line will follow. There will be a tie-up with a rock band, similar to Sabaton. For the Mongolian Battleship line, it will be with the Mongolian hard rock band, Uuhai.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Amateurs

Try Liecherstein or Uzbekistan, the only 2 double-landlocked countries in the world

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1: Model updating, but they can (and have) done this in the past without copying entire lines before.

2: New premiums: an entire line of premiums? Unlikely, but seeing Massa, Georgia, Ohio/Rhode Island existing maybe

3: Rework/changes to Montana line: This one may be the most likely, the question is what are they cooking?

4: Admiraal looks like "What if Germany captured D7P, completed her with 128s, with 1950s Allied AA?" The other one looks like "same as before, but with Ragnar speed boost."

What might be an amusing rework is getting a funny button... for secondaries. A fair number of USN premium BBs have improved secondaries at this point but none of the tech line offerings do. So getting a funny button for secondaries temporarily improving range, dispersion, and/or fire rate for a minute before going on a significant cooldown might have some merit. They do not have torpedoes so they lack a deterrence against certain ships shoving in against them.

And it would be pretty funny seeing all the 127s on the side of a Montana suddenly railing a DD that got spotted impinging on the battleship's personal space.

• Like 1