Jump to content

Can we have a looser policy regarding swearing?


Unlooky

Recommended Posts

Basically the title. We're all adults here, by overwhelming majority. 

 

I don't see how some (not excessive) use of vulgar language would degrade the site. I believe the old WoWs forum had a similar policy: mild swearing was permitted, but overuse was not. If such a policy was enacted, I don't think it would change the dynamic of the website that much (I've already seen some minor swearing go unnoticed a number of times.) I do not know a single active member here who would immediately act like a 10 year old whose parents are not present. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the policy on swearing. I hear enough bad language everyday at work although I am not really offended by it.

I find that I have much respect for the people I am around who never seem to lose there temper yell or curse. 

It's a gift they have and I am working hard on that. It makes everything and everyone easier to deal with.

It's nice to be civil in this day and age.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  My take- I'm not against it, but when used should be on occasions where the extra emphasis is necessary, so there's the catch- none of us will agree on where the line is, so the policy, as @clammboy stated, is probably the best.  I'm not against loosening the rules, just don't be surprised when someone goes all Kevin Hart with eleventy f-bombs in one sentence.  Among many other things, cursing loses it "umph" when over-used.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the current policy and oppose any proposal to loosen it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

I like the current policy and oppose any proposal to loosen it.

 

+1

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, clammboy said:

I like the policy on swearing. I hear enough bad language everyday at work although I am not really offended by it.

I find that I have much respect for the people I am around who never seem to lose there temper yell or curse. 

It's a gift they have and I am working hard on that. It makes everything and everyone easier to deal with.

It's nice to be civil in this day and age.

Isn't it more impressive to be able to swear and choose not to? Right now there's no choice in the matter. Personally, I do not believe civility and using stronger language to be mutually exclusive. Obviously swearing as an insult would not be tolerated, but I believe there can be a place, in moderation, for some use of language. There's a number of online slang terms that we aren't allowed to say simply because they contain a swear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Isn't it more impressive to be able to swear and choose not to? Right now there's no choice in the matter. Personally, I do not believe civility and using stronger language to be mutually exclusive. Obviously swearing as an insult would not be tolerated, but I believe there can be a place, in moderation, for some use of language. There's a number of online slang terms that we aren't allowed to say simply because they contain a swear. 

I guess I understand but usually it doesn't work out as intended. Unfortunately nowadays people need a line drawn that they cant go over so I am in favor of the current policy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My grandfathers, dad, and uncles never swore. My sister still cusses up a storm in her 60s. However, she's never grown out of her "brat" phase either. My niece finally told her aunt to keep her trap shut around her (my niece's) daughters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Personally I cannot trust someone who doesn't not cuss at all.  Folk who cuss left right and center in a single sentence?  Yeah, don't trust those folk either.  Now personally I will cuss if something surprises the hell out of me (like what happened to me bout 20m ago in Helldivers 2).  I will also cuss when I get pissed, but not to some major extent.  All in all I can refrain from cussing if someone requests it in a polite way.  If they are a dick about it however?  Nap.  They'll get "the usual".

That being said, if you are in a person's "home", do as they ask.  If you don't like it, leave and do not go back.  In the forum, I find how things are set just fine.  No need to increase or decrease anything.  Also as @Wolfswetpaws point out, there are "alternatives" to cussing.  Echo Alpha Delta and Kilo Mike Alpha for example. Smile_veryhappy.gif.0e8d9f242866cb0a7c73df1b523dbc30.gif

Edited by Volron
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Six years in the Australian Army and thirty plus as a motorcyclist doing the dance of death with idiots in cars who appear to have all the spacial awareness of a mentally defective goldfish with vertigo has brought my command of invective through 'weapons grade' and now it verges on 'mass destruction'. Horrorsmiley.gif.318b34e20d9da7d454c8f23b38d7ff39.gif

But naturally, with great power comes great responsibility, and so I must contain the awesome power of my arsenal for the good of mankind! No longer can I permit myself the pleasure of gentle banter culminating in a well crafted and telling insult which brings applause and causes the dropping of the jaws as people rock back in amazement as I return and strafe for survivors cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

I'm finding using <expletive deleted> quite efficacious. It lets me 'swear' without needing to break the rules, and even better it lets the reader insert whatever profanity they feel most appropriate for the sentence in question. The best of both worlds!

And of course the judicious use of etc_swear_small.gif.d7ecb3339300472b7b65322a3b1e1a67.gif adequately conveys my meaning!

Now all I need is a tongue-in-cheek emoticon and I should be right!

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or we can just use the epithet made popular by the crew of the Red Dwarf.

 

 “Why don’t you smegging well smeg off!" says Rimmer. "You annoying little smeggy smegging smegger!”

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Six years in the Australian Army and thirty plus as a motorcyclist doing the dance of death with idiots in cars who appear to have all the spacial awareness of a mentally defective goldfish with vertigo has brought my command of invective through 'weapons grade' and now it verges on 'mass destruction'. Horrorsmiley.gif.318b34e20d9da7d454c8f23b38d7ff39.gif

But naturally, with great power comes great responsibility, and so I must contain the awesome power of my arsenal for the good of mankind! No longer can I permit myself the pleasure of gentle banter culminating in a well crafted and telling insult which brings applause and causes the dropping of the jaws as people rock back in amazement as I return and strafe for survivors cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

I'm finding using <expletive deleted> quite efficacious. It lets me 'swear' without needing to break the rules, and even better it lets the reader insert whatever profanity they feel most appropriate for the sentence in question. The best of both worlds!

And of course the judicious use of etc_swear_small.gif.d7ecb3339300472b7b65322a3b1e1a67.gif adequately conveys my meaning!

Now all I need is a tongue-in-cheek emoticon and I should be right!

 

 

 


giphy.gif
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.