Can we have a looser policy regarding swearing?

Unlooky

Basically the title. We're all adults here, by overwhelming majority. 

I don't see how some (not excessive) use of vulgar language would degrade the site. I believe the old WoWs forum had a similar policy: mild swearing was permitted, but overuse was not. If such a policy was enacted, I don't think it would change the dynamic of the website that much (I've already seen some minor swearing go unnoticed a number of times.) I do not know a single active member here who would immediately act like a 10 year old whose parents are not present. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I like the policy on swearing. I hear enough bad language everyday at work although I am not really offended by it.

I find that I have much respect for the people I am around who never seem to lose there temper yell or curse. 

It's a gift they have and I am working hard on that. It makes everything and everyone easier to deal with.

It's nice to be civil in this day and age.

• Like 9

My take- I'm not against it, but when used should be on occasions where the extra emphasis is necessary, so there's the catch- none of us will agree on where the line is, so the policy, as @clammboy stated, is probably the best.  I'm not against loosening the rules, just don't be surprised when someone goes all Kevin Hart with eleventy f-bombs in one sentence.  Among many other things, cursing loses it "umph" when over-used.

• Like 6

I like the current policy and oppose any proposal to loosen it.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Tricericon said:

I like the current policy and oppose any proposal to loosen it.

+1

• Like 5

3 hours ago, clammboy said:

I like the policy on swearing. I hear enough bad language everyday at work although I am not really offended by it.

I find that I have much respect for the people I am around who never seem to lose there temper yell or curse. 

It's a gift they have and I am working hard on that. It makes everything and everyone easier to deal with.

It's nice to be civil in this day and age.

Isn't it more impressive to be able to swear and choose not to? Right now there's no choice in the matter. Personally, I do not believe civility and using stronger language to be mutually exclusive. Obviously swearing as an insult would not be tolerated, but I believe there can be a place, in moderation, for some use of language. There's a number of online slang terms that we aren't allowed to say simply because they contain a swear. 

20 minutes ago, Unlooky said:

Isn't it more impressive to be able to swear and choose not to? Right now there's no choice in the matter. Personally, I do not believe civility and using stronger language to be mutually exclusive. Obviously swearing as an insult would not be tolerated, but I believe there can be a place, in moderation, for some use of language. There's a number of online slang terms that we aren't allowed to say simply because they contain a swear. 

I guess I understand but usually it doesn't work out as intended. Unfortunately nowadays people need a line drawn that they cant go over so I am in favor of the current policy.

• Like 3

My grandfathers, dad, and uncles never swore. My sister still cusses up a storm in her 60s. However, she's never grown out of her "brat" phase either. My niece finally told her aunt to keep her trap shut around her (my niece's) daughters.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Personally I cannot trust someone who doesn't not cuss at all.  Folk who cuss left right and center in a single sentence?  Yeah, don't trust those folk either.  Now personally I will cuss if something surprises the hell out of me (like what happened to me bout 20m ago in Helldivers 2).  I will also cuss when I get pissed, but not to some major extent.  All in all I can refrain from cussing if someone requests it in a polite way.  If they are a dick about it however?  Nap.  They'll get "the usual".

That being said, if you are in a person's "home", do as they ask.  If you don't like it, leave and do not go back.  In the forum, I find how things are set just fine.  No need to increase or decrease anything.  Also as @Wolfswetpaws point out, there are "alternatives" to cussing.  Echo Alpha Delta and Kilo Mike Alpha for example. Smile_veryhappy.gif.0e8d9f242866cb0a7c73df1b523dbc30.gif

Edited by Volron
  • Like 2

Six years in the Australian Army and thirty plus as a motorcyclist doing the dance of death with idiots in cars who appear to have all the spacial awareness of a mentally defective goldfish with vertigo has brought my command of invective through 'weapons grade' and now it verges on 'mass destruction'. Horrorsmiley.gif.318b34e20d9da7d454c8f23b38d7ff39.gif

But naturally, with great power comes great responsibility, and so I must contain the awesome power of my arsenal for the good of mankind! No longer can I permit myself the pleasure of gentle banter culminating in a well crafted and telling insult which brings applause and causes the dropping of the jaws as people rock back in amazement as I return and strafe for survivors cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

I'm finding using <expletive deleted> quite efficacious. It lets me 'swear' without needing to break the rules, and even better it lets the reader insert whatever profanity they feel most appropriate for the sentence in question. The best of both worlds!

And of course the judicious use of etc_swear_small.gif.d7ecb3339300472b7b65322a3b1e1a67.gif adequately conveys my meaning!

Now all I need is a tongue-in-cheek emoticon and I should be right!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Or we can just use the epithet made popular by the crew of the Red Dwarf.

“Why don’t you smegging well smeg off!" says Rimmer. "You annoying little smeggy smegging smegger!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, SunkCostFallacy said:

Six years in the Australian Army and thirty plus as a motorcyclist doing the dance of death with idiots in cars who appear to have all the spacial awareness of a mentally defective goldfish with vertigo has brought my command of invective through 'weapons grade' and now it verges on 'mass destruction'. Horrorsmiley.gif.318b34e20d9da7d454c8f23b38d7ff39.gif

But naturally, with great power comes great responsibility, and so I must contain the awesome power of my arsenal for the good of mankind! No longer can I permit myself the pleasure of gentle banter culminating in a well crafted and telling insult which brings applause and causes the dropping of the jaws as people rock back in amazement as I return and strafe for survivors cap_rambo_small.gif.ce533cb8550e1c89de40d6f8d1529b5e.gif

I'm finding using <expletive deleted> quite efficacious. It lets me 'swear' without needing to break the rules, and even better it lets the reader insert whatever profanity they feel most appropriate for the sentence in question. The best of both worlds!

And of course the judicious use of etc_swear_small.gif.d7ecb3339300472b7b65322a3b1e1a67.gif adequately conveys my meaning!

Now all I need is a tongue-in-cheek emoticon and I should be right!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 9:43 PM, SunkCostFallacy said:

This is why I say things like: Echo Alpha Delta, Kilo Mike Alpha, Sierra Mike Delta, etc.  PITA is a good one as well. Smile_veryhappy.gif.0e8d9f242866cb0a7c73df1b523dbc30.gif

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

im a scot so colorful metaphor comes out of my mouth naturally

😠😡🤬

swear-word-speech-bubble-set-curse-rude-swear-word-for-angry-bad-negative-expression-hand-drawn-doodle-sketch-style-vector-illustration-2GNW3F7.jpg

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 5:50 AM, Efros said:

“Why don’t you smegging well smeg off!" says Rimmer. "You annoying little smeggy smegging smegger!”

Yes.  Or, the way John Ringo plays with words massacred by dialects that simply get the original words pronunciation wrong......

Julio Poertena,  in the "March Up Country,"   is a Marine Armorer from a distant world  whose settlers were of the Pacific Islands:   whom, needed a big Pocking wrench to fix power armor the Marines wore....

So, since I am not a Leg, I have been using that word just as incorrectly.....  I lived on the sophisticated, and well enlightened,  lower part of Smoke Bomb Hill than John Ringo (82nd Abn....)   Although, I did strap hang with them on occasions.    Even though we made fun of their "pink berets"..... (the maroon faded to pink in the hot North Carolina sun and rain.....)  We didn't have that issue.....and, they put a entire corps aviation brigade between our units....   Ah, that was a pocking fun time mate.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:50 AM, Efros said:

omg rimmer and cat  and kryton  put the 3 of them in a room there selfs  and you will be rolling around the floor with laughter 

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2024 at 12:21 AM, clammboy said:

You never told us you were a school teacher.

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2024 at 8:19 AM, Admiral_Karasu said:

You never told us you were a school teacher.

excelent idea  but theres two minor drawbacks 

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

My use of english, is language #3 in my list of 5. Hrvati, Francuski, Engleski, Ruski, Polirati.
I find there is plenty of words can use in the language rather than settle for such crudeness.

But I have use them before as well, so I am not speaking from any position.
...and if you on my team and see me use multiple language in one sentence, then you know i am really mad.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 7:03 AM, Lady Anesjka said:

My use of english, is language #3 in my list of 5. Hrvati, Francuski, Engleski, Ruski, Polirati.
I find there is plenty of words can use in the language rather than settle for such crudeness.

But I have use them before as well, so I am not speaking from any position.
...and if you on my team and see me use multiple language in one sentence, then you know i am really mad.

Many years ago, I worked for an Aviation corporation that was internationally organized...  English, is the international language of Aviation BTW.  And, I have had more fun working with Engineers from all over the world, under unimaginable stress (no pun intended since they were stress engineers!) whom, absolutely "mangled" American curse words and when speechless in American, switched to curses that were native to them !  

It got so bad, we had to separate the Nations with US engineers and project staff !  Germans sitting next to French engineers with Russian engineers (a Ukrainian and another from Moskva) in the desk behind those two, with a Japanese and Australian in the same cubicle system, being managed by a Brazilian Chief engineer......whom, worked for me.....yikes !

It was a pee in your pants calamity of magnitudes calculated in the math of Alien Space Bats.  I wish I could speak Russian fluently......they were hilariously animated and I should have recorded those times "it all went into the dunny" as our Aussie lead said more often than anyone ever anticipated....

If you don't know anything about Aviation Stress Engineering, let's just say, that it's not for the slow of mind - nor, it seems, the weak of opinion or commentary.... 

I introduced the word "POCK !" and I must thank John Ringo for that word........  I never realized how many "other words" there are when you want to say "Pock off mate !"

😂

• Haha 1