WOWS doesn't give points for presence...

SoshiSone

...but sometimes, it's presence that makes all the difference.

Just had the following game.

shot-24_05.06_22_30.46-0792.thumb.jpg.76852f822b76cdf12ff4338d2e909c69.jpg

You'll notice the Tarigo player second from bottom as a mid tier DD.  His play was much better than that end score will attest.  There were only three of us on one side of the map contesting one of three caps.  The Nurnberg, the Tarigo, and myself.  Nurnberg held back...appropriately.  Tarigo pushed up (to the cap) just enough to make the reds cautious, without going so far as to getting himself destroyed in the first few minutes.  He knew when to stop, and when to ease back, even though it meant giving up the cap.  This allowed me to set up an excellent mid to short range camp position.  Without Tarigo's "presence", I would be flanked and destroyed.  By presence, I also mean the several torp spreads he sent towards the reds.  Most didn't hit...but they sure did let them know they were dealing with at least one DD, and it held them all back.  We held that line the entire game, outnumbered.  By the time the reds pushed on our flank, it was too late as our team rolled the other caps (with their numeric advantage) by then and were now supporting us.

So...hats off (and plus Karma) to Tarigo...as well as karma to Nurnberg.  Their excellent presence allowed me to shine...made me look real good sitting on one spot most of the match without having to worry about being overrun or outflanked.

Sometimes, the WG point system simply does not reflect how well someone played the game.  This game was a good example.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

And, this is a good example of why Combat Effectiveness (CE) is a much better "metric to measure skill";  because,  it's not all about shooting.....it's about all of the soft skills that make or break a match....  Just a thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And why PR is such a flawed metric - because PR is dependent on damage dealt to a large extent. A DD who zones out an entire flank, as in this case above will probably not get a high damage number - as reflected by his low base xp score - but the game outcome would have been very different without him doing his job well.

• Like 5

If the Tarigo was a submarine, it would have landed within the Top 2. 

31 minutes ago, UnderTheRadarAgain said:

And why PR is such a flawed metric - because PR is dependent on damage dealt to a large extent. A DD who zones out an entire flank, as in this case above will probably not get a high damage number - as reflected by his low base xp score - but the game outcome would have been very different without him doing his job well.

I agree. PR has its uses, and just like any stat, if it is taken in isolation, it would be severely lacking.

• Like 2

Good post, SoshiSone.  Plus, some good replies. Yes, a player who doesn't get much exp &, perhaps, even gets sunk, may, in fact, have played well enough to affect the overall battle result & contributed to the W. WG metrics aren't particularly accurate in some ways (another of WG's dirty secrets).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aethervox said:

Yes, a player who doesn't get much exp &, perhaps, even gets sunk, may, in fact, have played well enough to affect the overall battle result & contributed to the W.

Once I saw an AFK for the entire battle became the reason his team won. If memory serves, it was a Tier VII cruiser and the map was Two Brothers. Bravo Team just couldn't get to within range of the AFK (the last remaining ship) before the clock expired. Alpha Team won based on points.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Asym said:

And, this is a good example of why Combat Effectiveness (CE) is a much better "metric to measure skill";  because,  it's not all about shooting.....it's about all of the soft skills that make or break a match....  Just a thought.

Also a good example of how WGs entire balancing philosophy never really works.

WG overemphasize damage output and specific ship parameters without considering how a ship might be used to actually affect the battles.

It's all just theoretical DPM, theoretical speed, etc.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

...but sometimes, it's presence that makes all the difference.

Just had the following game.

shot-24_05.06_22_30.46-0792.thumb.jpg.76852f822b76cdf12ff4338d2e909c69.jpg

You'll notice the Tarigo player second from bottom as a mid tier DD.  His play was much better than that end score will attest.  There were only three of us on one side of the map contesting one of three caps.  The Nurnberg, the Tarigo, and myself.  Nurnberg held back...appropriately.  Tarigo pushed up (to the cap) just enough to make the reds cautious, without going so far as to getting himself destroyed in the first few minutes.  He knew when to stop, and when to ease back, even though it meant giving up the cap.  This allowed me to set up an excellent mid to short range camp position.  Without Tarigo's "presence", I would be flanked and destroyed.  By presence, I also mean the several torp spreads he sent towards the reds.  Most didn't hit...but they sure did let them know they were dealing with at least one DD, and it held them all back.  We held that line the entire game, outnumbered.  By the time the reds pushed on our flank, it was too late as our team rolled the other caps (with their numeric advantage) by then and were now supporting us.

So...hats off (and plus Karma) to Tarigo...as well as karma to Nurnberg.  Their excellent presence allowed me to shine...made me look real good sitting on one spot most of the match without having to worry about being overrun or outflanked.

Sometimes, the WG point system simply does not reflect how well someone played the game.  This game was a good example.

Kudos to you for providing the recognition, @SoshiSone.  👍

1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

WG overemphasize damage output

No. Irresponsible unicum content creators do that. 

• Like 1

This one reminded me of some of my old matches while grinding the Italian DD line. This line is very effective at making the difference just by being present...

So many times you do win matches just by virtue of not dying... 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SoshiSone said:

This is an example of why I consider Solo Win Rate, once a player has at least a few thousand such matches under their belt, the best metric.

• Like 1