Admiral_Karasu

Happy Easter, folks!

image.jpeg.24b7cc8d87a5345e477bcd176082c390.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Happy Easter @Admiral_Karasu🙂 

I learned something new, to me, because of you.  🙂 

Spoiler

"...  Orthodox Christians, who believe faith is inseparable from the church, follow the Julian calendar when it comes to celebrating Easter Sunday. The Julian calendar was established by Julius Caesar in 45 B.C. and is based it on the solar cycle—Earth's revolutions around the sun. 

Orthodox Easter takes place between April 4 and May 8, following the first full moon after Passover. Orthodox Easter always falls after the Jewish celebration of Passover, because, according to the New Testament, the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ took place after he entered Jerusalem to celebrate Passover. In 2024, Orthodox Easter occurs on May 5.

In 1582, Pope Gregory XIII instituted the Gregorian calendar to correct inaccuracies in the Julian Calendar. The new calendar added leap years to correct an 11-minute miscalculation that caused seasons to become out of sync with the calendar, thus pushing Easter away from the spring equinox. Under the Gregorian calendar, churches established Easter to be held on the first Sunday after the full moon that occurs on or after the spring equinox. In 2024, Easter is celebrated on March 31.

Much of the world came to officially recognize the Gregorian calendar, but Orthodox churches, primarily in Greece, Cyprus, Russia, Romania, Bulgaria and others, continue to observe Easter according to the Julian calendar.  ..."
https://www.history.com/news/easter-orthodox-easter-differences

• Thanks 5

Happy Easter!  May it be joyful and with glad tidings!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, that little change in the calendar must have been confusing a heck.  For instance, Geo. Washington's birthday is noted in his family bible as 1734/35.  I don't recall which battle but the English were using the Julian Calendar and the French where using the Gregorian Calendar and the difference proved decisive in the naval battle.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Justin_Simpleton said:

Yeah, that little change in the calendar must have been confusing a heck.  For instance, Geo. Washington's birthday is noted in his family bible as 1734/35.  I don't recall which battle but the English were using the Julian Calendar and the French where using the Gregorian Calendar and the difference proved decisive in the naval battle.

I can imagine it might be inconvenient if the other side gets to join the battle 11 days late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm ranking my brain to remember which battle it was. It could have been a battle involving Spanish ships even.  There was about a generation gap between the introduction of the Gregorian calendar and the willingness of the British Empire to adopt it.

• Like 2

This disparency is often claimed as one of the issues the Allied Coalition had in coordinating when fighting Napolen

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Foch said  "Since i lead a coalition, i'm much less admirative of Napoleon"

Edited by Latouche_Treville
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Happy Easter, folks!

Thank you. While I'm catholic, most of the folks around me are orthodox christians.

• Like 1

Happy Easter.

Do the orthodox offers chocolate bells, an bunnies too? In France Easter is chocolate time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

Happy Easter

May 5th is likely incorrect even for Orthodox dating since Easter is most likely a derivation of 'Eostre', a non-christian festival more aligned with the Spring Equinox (which is March 20th). Considering Greek Orthodox christianity was far more important to early christians than Catholicism the argument may be made that Easter is 'now' (as opposed to the earlier date in April).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Latouche_Treville said:

Happy Easter.

Do the orthodox offers chocolate bells, an bunnies too? In France Easter is chocolate time.

I don't think chocolate gets on the 'traditional' list. The Greek traditions are probably the most traditional there are:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/greek-easter-traditions-1705457

Further north, you get into Slavic territory, and one of the delicacies there is Paskha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paskha

Wow! They don't joke! Easter Sunday sounds very good to me!😊

• Like 1