One bold submarine commander ramming a destroyer.

Bryan Handy

The USS Salmon rams my destroyer with its conning tower, permanently destroying the periscope. Imagine that in the game?
Perhaps we're expecting too much for this molly-coddled class.

Screenshot (33).png

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bryan Handy said:

The USS Salmon rams my destroyer with its conning tower, permanently destroying the periscope. Imagine that in the game?

Screenshot (33).png

something like this

Ram.thumb.jpg.f076cc75e4d2121f09ee6aa678d3de9c.jpg

The Destroyer Black, your teammate, sideswipes your Destroyer, crumpling all weapons and leaving your ship unarmed while suffering side damage as it continues on to fight the enemy.  Planes from the Yorktown dive, unleashing bombs that hit your Destroyer and sink it in a single strike.  The Cruiser Atago notes the approach of your Destroyer as you close in to deliver your only remaining torpedoes before being empty for the rest of the battle and strikes with its main battery, the hits completely ruining your communications, killing a large number of your crew, and leaving your Destroyer limping on manual steering as it tries to make it back to port.  The Battleship Musashi directs its main battery at your Destroyer from far beyond your own effective range and unleashes a volley.  A single shell hits, detonating your ready torpedoes in their launchers, snapping your ship like a twig and wounding your commander, who will take several weeks out of service after the battle to recover, if they survive (RNG roll for that).

Imagine those in the game.  Imagine if Destroyers weren't so coddled.  Imagine if all ships weren't so coddled.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gotten a "Die Hard" achievement a couple of times in a Submarine crashing into a DD. Just another "fun" aspect of Sub Life! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bryan Handy said:

Screenshot (33).png

Ramming is a classic ASW tactic.  It can also work "both ways".  🙂 

Why should the Submarine give up the fight, anyway? 
They're obviously too close for their own torpedoes to arm and well within your depth-charge range.
So, their "best" option at this point is to ram you.

Why are you surprised?  🙂 

This isn't rare at all. It's been used against me MANY times until I learned to stay away.

In the early days of subs they knew that if they were going to die to just surface under you and take you with them.

What is REALLY bad is when they can RAM KILL YOU and then sail off to get more kills like nothing happened.

Yeah , like subs could do that.

But 20 Pens with AP does nothing either.

Must have MILES of flextape on board.😏

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Col_NASTY said:

Must have MILES of flextape on board.😏

Or a "Ramming Flag", eh?  🙂 

3 hours ago, Jakob Knight said:

Imagine those in the game.  Imagine if Destroyers weren't so coddled.  Imagine if all ships weren't so coddled.

Imagine if a SINGLE shell hit to the conning tower would prevent the sub from diving! 

All surface ships share the same amount of 'coddling' across the types.

Submarines get so much more coddling. 

55 minutes ago, Musket22 said:

Imagine if a SINGLE shell hit to the conning tower would prevent the sub from diving! 

All surface ships share the same amount of 'coddling' across the types.

Submarines get so much more coddling. 

Battleships get a huge amount of coddling, from being able to magically heal damage in the midst of enemy fire to very unrealistic acceleration and deceleration rates (as well as turn times).  Much more than Submarines.

But the real point is that complaining that -any- ship is 'coddled' in the game is missing the point that it is a game, and every ship type in it has been twisted beyond reality to fit their place in and the playability of that game.  If we wanted true realism, I think very few players would log in to it, let alone enjoy it.  Certain national lines and ship types would be unbeatable by others, and the complexity and duration of a match would daunt any but the most diehard simulator players.

Better to accept the game as a game and focus on improving your own performance in it than complaining about something that is not going to help win your next battle.

Edited by Jakob Knight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I tried to DC a sub and ended up like this:

I was not on purpose trying to run it down.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 NA said:

I was not on purpose trying to run it down.

Too young, too eager... Almost knaive 

On 4/30/2024 at 4:16 AM, Bryan Handy said:

Perhaps we're expecting too much for this molly-coddled class

The hard fact is Ram signals are Standard equipment for any experienced Sub Captain but rarely used by Surface ships. No wonder why many Subs impersonate Nautilus and limp away after a succesful ram.

Edited by ArIskandir
Fgging hate the phone autocorrect