unfinished projects

Gaelic_knight

according to world of warships new video   Friedrich der grobe was never built  

not for WWII but for WWI there was one 

SMS Friedrich der Grosse[a] was the second vessel of the Kaiser class of dreadnought battleships of the German Imperial Navy. Friedrich der Grosse's[b] keel was laid on 26 January 1910 at the AG Vulcan dockyard in Hamburg, her hull was launched on 10 June 1911, and she was commissioned into the fleet on 15 October 1912. The ship was equipped with ten 30.5-centimeter (12 in) guns in five twin turrets, and had a top speed of 23.4 knots (43.3 km/h; 26.9 mph). Friedrich der Grosse was assigned to III Battle Squadron of the High Seas Fleet for the majority of World War I, and served as fleet flagship from her commissioning until 1917.

Along with her four sister ships, Kaiser, Kaiserin, König Albert, and Prinzregent Luitpold, Friedrich der Grosse participated in all the major fleet operations of World War I, including the Battle of Jutland on 31 May – 1 June 1916. Toward the center of the German line, Friedrich der Grosse was not as heavily engaged as the leading German ships, such as the battleships König and Grosser Kurfürst and the battlecruisers of I Scouting GroupFriedrich der Grosse emerged from the battle completely unscathed. In 1917, the new battleship Baden replaced Friedrich der Grosse as the fleet flagship.

After Germany's defeat in the war and the signing of the Armistice in November 1918, Friedrich der Grosse and most of the capital ships of the High Seas Fleet were interned by the British Royal Navy in Scapa Flow. The ships were disarmed and reduced to skeleton crews while the Allied powers negotiated the final version of the Treaty of Versailles. On 21 June 1919, days before the treaty was signed, the commander of the interned fleet, Rear Admiral Ludwig von Reuter, ordered the fleet to be scuttled to ensure that the British would not be able to seize the ships. Friedrich der Grosse was raised in 1936 and broken up for scrap metal. Her bell was returned to Germany in 1965 and is now located at the Fleet Headquarters in Glücksburg.

never built eh 

Untitled.jpg

1456449970216.jpg

the video  its comparing 3 T9 ships with a T10 ship

Edited by Gaelic_knight
  • Like 3
  • Bored 1

I honestly dont understand your point.

The article clearly and explicity states about ships laid down but never commissioned. The video states at the begining None of the battleships mentioned in this video were ever commisioned in real life.

The FDG the video is mentioning is the Kriegsmarine H39 project that was laid down in 1939 but was never finished nor commissioned NOT the 1909 Kaiser class FDG (cant remember if she was built on 1910 or 1912). So the video is not really wrong. The H39 project WAS laid down but never commissioned.

If we go by your logic Lion was also built in 1910 as a battlecruiser, she even fought at Jutland and was seriously damaged. But the Lion mentioned in the video is not that one but the WWII project that began in 1938 after Japan didnt sign the London Naval treaty and the Escalator Clause was invoked. The project was never finished, hence never commissioned. The last British battleship was HMS Vanguard a ship with many characteristics of Lion and with older guns from HMS Courageous and Glorious.

Sovetsky Soyuz and Montana need no explanation.

10 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

the video  its comparing 3 T9 ships with a T10 ship

This bears no relevance as they are talking of laid down but never commissioned ships (in this case the only of the high tier Battleships that were actually laid down but never finished in real life) not about ships of specific tiers. They could had put the tier 8 Kansas (which is essentially a 1920 South Dakota) or even the tier 6 Normandie for comparison sake. Both ships had their hulls laid down but were never finished, hence never commissioned.

Edited by Sidelock
  • Thanks 1

I would caution folks though to never take a World of Warships history video at face value. Use it as a thread to go to actual sources.

Unfortunately, WGs knowledge of naval history is about an inch deep.

• Haha 1

It does get a little confusing when WG picks names of existing ships (which they don't release even though I think they should) and 'recycle' it for a ship that was never commissioned, or even launched, or even laid down, or in some cases never even dreamed of. As such, there's nothing strange about several ships from different eras sharing the same name.

• Like 1

HMS Lion

Nineteen ships of the Royal Navy have been named HMS Lion or HMS Lyon, after the lion, an animal traditionally associated with courage, and also used in several heraldric motifs representing England, Scotland and the British Monarchy. Another ship was planned but never completed:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Admiral_Karasu said:

As such, there's nothing strange about several ships from different eras sharing the same name.

Or even the same era. During WWII the USN had a habit of commissioning new ships with the names of those recently lost in action. Case in point: the Essex-class Lexington, Yorktown, Hornet, and Wasp were all named in honor of fleet carriers lost in 1942.

• Like 1
  • Bored 1

12 hours ago, Sidelock said:

I honestly dont understand your point.

The article clearly and explicity states about ships laid down but never commissioned. The video states at the begining None of the battleships mentioned in this video were ever commisioned in real life.

The FDG the video is mentioning is the Kriegsmarine H39 project that was laid down in 1939 but was never finished nor commissioned NOT the 1909 Kaiser class FDG (cant remember if she was built on 1910 or 1912). So the video is not really wrong. The H39 project WAS laid down but never commissioned.

If we go by your logic Lion was also built in 1910 as a battlecruiser, she even fought at Jutland and was seriously damaged. But the Lion mentioned in the video is not that one but the WWII project that began in 1938 after Japan didnt sign the London Naval treaty and the Escalator Clause was invoked. The project was never finished, hence never commissioned. The last British battleship was HMS Vanguard a ship with many characteristics of Lion and with older guns from HMS Courageous and Glorious.

Sovetsky Soyuz and Montana need no explanation.

This bears no relevance as they are talking of laid down but never commissioned ships (in this case the only of the high tier Battleships that were actually laid down but never finished in real life) not about ships of specific tiers. They could had put the tier 8 Kansas (which is essentially a 1920 South Dakota) or even the tier 6 Normandie for comparison sake. Both ships had their hulls laid down but were never finished, hence never commissioned.

my point it they clain friedrich der grobe was never built  i was pointing out in the first line maybe not for WWII but there was for WWI 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Gaelic_knight said:

my point it they clain friedrich der grobe was never built  i was pointing out in the first line maybe not for WWII but there was for WWI 

The article/video is clearly referring to the H-class version of the battleship that is included in the game, just as it is referring to the in-game version of Lion at tier IX and not the earlier battlecruiser of the same name.

Your OP reads as if you are trying to make some kind of “gotcha” statement (“never built eh”), but WG never made any claim regarding SMS FdG.

Edited by Nevermore135

does it matter @Nevermore135 there was a BB that fought in battle with that name 20 yrs prier just like @qkarl pointed out about LION