The Best Armor

Frostbow

The red team had a division composed of 5 unicum/very good players and all I can muster was my trusty Salem. The odds were stacked against us, but she was safely protected by the best armor in World of Warships: the island. And with our smartly played USS Black, the battle ended on a high note with CA-139 blasting the sneaking enemy submarine to oblivion.

shot-24_03.01_22_28.39-0100.thumb.jpg.eaed1b017f8e0fbc4eef8891bab6c98e.jpgshot-24_03.01_22_28.54-0084.thumb.jpg.70b259055547452087de56d558bd363d.jpgshot-24_03.01_22_28.51-0269.thumb.jpg.3ec5f5d95632b6398f4a8c4869d32d0d.jpgshot-24_03.01_22_28.47-0999.thumb.jpg.138d5bad3d511528bb9611aa9bff2b27.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A well-positioned cruiser can be devastating to an enemy team, you just have to find that perfect spot on each map. I had a game in my Annapolis where I found a position behind an island where 2-3 other islands also completed a perfect angle for a full screen towards the enemy. So, I sat there with my 18-19 km range and autoloading 4 turrets (with Funny button), completely hidden for about 12-13 minutes just raining HE and fires down on the enemy team until an enemy sub or dd finally pushed around the flank and spotted me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

completely hidden for about 12-13 minutes just raining HE and fires

Why are you (your type) always on the other team? 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

A well-positioned cruiser can be devastating to an enemy team, you just have to find that perfect spot on each map. I had a game in my Annapolis where I found a position behind an island where 2-3 other islands also completed a perfect angle for a full screen towards the enemy. So, I sat there with my 18-19 km range and autoloading 4 turrets (with Funny button), completely hidden for about 12-13 minutes just raining HE and fires down on the enemy team until an enemy sub or dd finally pushed around the flank and spotted me.

Woe to the enemy team. The 13-minute misery and pain they were helpless to stop! LOL!

14 minutes ago, Frostbow said:

Woe to the enemy team. The 13-minute misery and pain they were helpless to stop! LOL!

Yup, felt pretty much like a CV. That said, those moments are too few to count. First you need a perfect line up of islands that cover all angles, but you can still fire over them for most angles, then you need for entire enemy team not to push any flanks.

To paraphrase Mr. Miyagi, “The best armor is no be there.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

world fo warships armor tier list from best to worst:

island armor > overpen armor > smoke armor > actual ship armor

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Yup, felt pretty much like a CV. That said, those moments are too few to count. First you need a perfect line up of islands that cover all angles, but you can still fire over them for most angles, then you need for entire enemy team not to push any flanks.

I agree. It is crucial to have an escape route in case the enemy team decides to singularly focus on flushing out the hidden, full health cruiser raining down hell on them. But if they don't, then it is heaven bearing peaceful gifts in the form of HE and AP down on them.

14 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

world fo warships armor tier list from best to worst:

Im on the fence with the smoke armor position. Yesterday I fought an enemy Jinan, who obviously had some experience and skill, in my Vampire II, which normally is OP A-F but every time I smoked up and went quarter speed he just followed my tracers and lead me perfectly so he just threw my whole "Vampire OP:ness" out the window, so even tho I was annoyed A-F I comped him afterwards because he outplayed my OP DD.

A skilled/experienced player can negate any smoke advantage (just look at Flamus smoke firering guide), buts its hard to counter islands.....

Edited by OldSchoolGaming_Youtube

6 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

Im on the fence with the smoke armor position. Yesterday I fought an enemy Jinan, who obviously had some experience and skill, in my Vampire II, which normally is OP A-F but every time I smoked up and went quarter speed he just followed my tracers and lead me perfectly so he just threw my whole "Vampire OP:ness" out the window, so even tho I was annoyed A-F I comped him afterwards because he outplayed my OP DD.

A skilled/experienced player can negate any smoke advantage (just look at Flamus smoke firering guide), buts its hard to counter islands.....

even if you know exactly where the ship is parked shooting it without having a lock is a crap shot because of the penalty to accuracy and the auto elevation messing things up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

even if you know exactly where the ship is parked shooting it without having a lock is a crap shot because of the penalty to accuracy and the auto elevation messing things up.

In his guide Flamu used to zoom out as much in his BB to get another ship in sight so he locked on to him but then aimed at the shells coming out of a smoke and dev struck some cruisers.

In a high DPM cruiser or DD like Jinan or Sherman the accuracy makes no differens, you spam so many shells about 80% of the mwill land if you know how to blind fire. Done this many times in Sherman Vs smoked up DD, just out DPM him even tho they have the spotting advantage.

11 hours ago, pepe_trueno said:

2 hours ago, OldSchoolGaming_Youtube said:

In his guide Flamu used to zoom out as much in his BB to get another ship in sight so he locked on to him but then aimed at the shells coming out of a smoke and dev struck some cruisers.

In a high DPM cruiser or DD like Jinan or Sherman the accuracy makes no differens, you spam so many shells about 80% of the mwill land if you know how to blind fire. Done this many times in Sherman Vs smoked up DD, just out DPM him even tho they have the spotting advantage.

As I think @OldSchoolGaming_Youtube is pointing out, if one uses the aiming-circle on the mini-map to verify where they're aiming, then one can send ordnance at map coordinates.

The method may not be ideal, but it's better than allowing someone to camp inside a smokescreen with impunity.

Smokescreens are concealment, but they're not a shield.
Gun projectiles, torpedoes, bombs and rockets all will go through smoke and are capable of hitting a target if one aimed well or gets a bit lucky.  🙂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

As I think @OldSchoolGaming_Youtube is pointing out, if one uses the aiming-circle on the mini-map to verify where they're aiming, then one can send ordnance at map coordinates.

The method may not be ideal, but it's better than allowing someone to camp inside a smokescreen with impunity.

Smokescreens are concealment, but they're not a shield.
Gun projectiles, torpedoes, bombs and rockets all will go through smoke and are capable of hitting a target if one aimed well or gets a bit lucky.  🙂 

Yup!

• Like 1